You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello!

I'm having a frustrating time with the brush tool in Affinity Photo. I was drawing with the brush tool but it suddenly stop working. Opacity, flow and hardness are all 100% and protect alpha is unticked. All the other tools work. I tried the 'edit in affinity designer' option but designer also refused to paint on the document.  I have opened and closed the programme several times upon advice in previous forums. I've tried painting on different layers and adding new layers to paint but there's no response. I also tried painting whilst not having a layer selected (letting the assistant automatically create a new pixel layer) but the brush still doesn't paint.

The strange thing is that i opened a new document and the brush tool works with no issues and with all the same settings as the document which isn't painting. I had both the new document and the document i'm working on open and the programme would only paint on the new document.

How can this be fixed? I'm mid way through a drawing and can no longer complete it.

Thank you!

Hello @aaw_creations,

Welcome to this forum.

Just a guess,
is the Blend-Mode of the brush set to normal?

Cheers

Mischodus.png

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

Another guess: if you are trying to paint on an "(Image)" layer or any of the vector layer types & ether the Assistant is not enabled or set to 'take no action' for the "Painting with no layer selected" option, then nothing will be painted (even though the History panel records that action).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 years later...

Exactly the same thing has just happened to me. I’m using Affinity to draw a page of a comic, so it’s quite complex with many layers, some text etc.

I’ve been happily working on it for hours and then suddenly the brush tools don’t work. I’ve checked and neither does the fill tool.

Some things I’ve already checked:

- I’m trying to draw on an active layer. It’s not a text layer and it’s not a layer where the visibility has been turned off. It’s a top layer so not under any others.

- Brush is set to 100% opacity and flow and is a strong colour.

- “Protect alpha” box is not checked.

- The brush tool Is working fine on other documents.

- I’ve tried saving this doc under a different name but it still doesn’t let me paint with the brush.

- I’ve restarted Affinity and restarted my laptop.

My theories/questions: could the document have become corrupted? Could I have overloaded it with too many layers and too much detail?

If I reset the brushes will that mean I have to reinstall the ones I’ve bought? Also not sure that will work given that the fill tool isn’t working either - feels like it’s something specific to this document’s settings.

I’m on a deadline so quite keen to get this solved asap. Thanks for any help you can give.

6 hours ago, Mockduck said:

I’m trying to draw on an active layer. It’s not a text layer and it’s not a layer where the visibility has been turned off. It’s a top layer so not under any others.

What kind of layer is it?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7