You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remove duplication from [ALT]

Currently if we hold [CTRL] and drag an object, Affinity will drag a copy of that object. Great.

Why the need for the exact same behavior with the [ALT] modifier key? It is often in conflict with temporarily overriding snapping. We are forced to move an object a little bit first before being able to press and hold [ALT] to simply override snapping. Otherwise, it creates a duplicate of the selected object.

Please fix this. Let [CTRL] stay for duplication, and [ALT] for overriding snapping (if active).

Personally I like the current implementation. I can begin dragging something and turn off snapping for this one time by holding down the option key. Or I can think, oh I actually need a copy and then hold down the Command (I am on Mac) key and bang, I now have a copy being dragged. I can hold the option key down and begin dragging and have a copy which I want to have snapped to something I can just let go of the option key and my copy now has snapping on.

I really don't see a downside to this functionality (once I figured out the options available).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks Bruce, I appreciate your answer but I'm struggling to find anything positive about it to be honest. The problem is that you must move the object a little bit and let Affinity snap it to something, and only then you are allowed to hold ALT to override snapping and move the object back to where you want it to be. In my humble opinion you should be able to override snapping right away, and if you want the object to be duplicated you should be able to combine it with another modifier responsible for its own dedicated action - CTRL to copy. That's one thing I actually think Illustrator does better and I really cannot see a good reason for the way Affinity currently does it.

Select the object, release the mouse, hold the Option key down click and drag. This gives me a copy. Snapping is off for as long as I hold down the option key. for no copying I just select and click drag then hold down the option key, this turns off the snapping and does not copy.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

5 hours ago, Heres Johnny said:

Currently if we hold [CTRL] and drag an object, Affinity will drag a copy of that object. Great.

Why the need for the exact same behavior with the [ALT] modifier key? It is often in conflict with temporarily overriding snapping. We are forced to move an object a little bit first before being able to press and hold [ALT] to simply override snapping. Otherwise, it creates a duplicate of the selected object.

Please fix this. Let [CTRL] stay for duplication, and [ALT] for overriding snapping (if active).

Hear hear. I made a lot of copies by mistake because of this. I use snapping and [ALT] a lot. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

7 hours ago, Heres Johnny said:

Yes, the current behavior is wrong, and contrary to what is stated in the Status bar. Ctrl has ensure duplication of the object, and Alt has only turn off snapping. The fact that when Alt is pressed before selecting the mouse object, and not after selecting when it works properly, is the wrong behavior - Alt has nothing to duplicate the object.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

42 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Alt has nothing to duplicate the object.

Blame it on the Mac method of using Option to copy things when dragging with the mouse.

6 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Blame it on the Mac method of using Option to copy things when dragging with the mouse.

I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in MacOS at all - me and OP are talking about Alt (Windows).

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

8 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in MacOS at all - me and OP are talking about Alt (Windows).

Given the desired operational consistency between the  Mac and Windows versions of the Affinity applications, there will be such effects, and it doesn't really matter whether we Windows users care about it or not. We're affected in any case :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Given the desired operational consistency between the  Mac and Windows versions of the Affinity applications,

Given the numerous and much more serious inconsistencies between the versions, it would be really strange to pay attention to the consistency of this unnecessary, and even undocumented (see Status bar) function.

Personally I wish they would cause the "clone" function with the command key (evidently control on the other platform) to create something more like a symbol, leaving the option key feature (your 
"alt" key) to do what it is doing now.

The "clone" would be like a symbol in that its properties would be linked to the one it was cloned from, but would not necessarily show up on the Symbols panel.

• 4 weeks later...