You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug in Assets thumbnail for horizontal line

Found a bug in creation of an asset thumbnail.  Designer 1.8.3.641 on Windows 7 Pro, will check tomorrow or Monday if this also holds for Windows 10 Enterprise.  The bug is only in the thumbnail.  The asset itself is fine.

Created by drawing a horizontal line segment using the Pen tool, selecting it and Add from Selection.

image.png.55577938bb44829cdfe3666aee79b38b.png

The bad thumbnail is the third one.  It should look like the first two, except horizontal.

Was drawing on a triangular horizontal grid.  However, the problem seems to be related to orientation rather than grid alignment, as I dragged the 3rd asset to the canvas, rotated it 15 degrees, added the result to the assets, and got a good thumbnail.  I then dragged that asset to the canvas, rotated it back 15 degrees, and added the result to assets, and got the same buggy thumbnail.

• Staff

Hi sfriedberg,

Would you be able to upload a copy of the file you made the asset from (with an indicator of the offending object), along with an export of the Asset category please? We will need these to investigate the issue.

• Staff

Thanks for that, I see what is going on now and I don't believe it is a bug, its just how the Asset Panel displays objects that are too wide to fit in. The left side of the thumbnail is simply the end of one of the lines (if you change the cap and then add to assets you'll notice that will change. The right hand side is just a 'stylish swash' used to indicate the object has been truncated. 

As far as I'm aware it was done to avoid objects becoming too small to see. With that said though there is some discrepancy between that view and using 'Show As List'. If you set the Asset Panel to 'Show As List' it will display the objects how you want, but with a descriptive name that you can change. It is likely the name being displayed is why it doesn't truncate the objects, however I will check with development.