You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer Fx Gradient Overlay Transparency == grey blendy mess

Result expected: Gradient blending win.

Result achieved: Gradient color to grey blendy mess.

meat-protest-uh-oh.thumb.jpg.f2f57d772e50a7735e4d6f81bec3eb49.jpg

I only discovered this because I couldn't also add a sublayer(?) to the image itself to achieve the same effect because it effected the entire "rectangle" space even though the only pixel/opaque values are the cartoon obviously so this was meant as a workaround... Not sure if this is intended or not:

meat-protest-uh-oh-2.thumb.jpg.9b77598542a5e1527f102b9e94d569e5.jpg

fire.afphoto

In you your upper example you add red gradient layer on the grayscale Beavis, i download your attached file. The effect  works as it has to be - everything is correct. But on lower example you show Beavis in RGB colors, as i can judge from your screenshot. So you need to apply the same effect but to the RGB Beavis. If you want to use masked Beavis to use as mask for gradient - set the fill opacity to 0%. Also you can play with OPACITY MODE in gradient (overlay, multiply or others) for tuning the blending mode for the most suitable result.

Скриншот 2020-05-31 13.12.46.png

Скриншот 2020-05-31 13.22.30.png

Win10 x64 1907, 16G RAM, Core i7 + Wacom Cintiq 12WX Interactive Pen Display - Affinity Photo  1.7.3.481 + Beta 1.8.0.526, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Corel Draw X7, ArtCAM 2015 R2
iOS 13.1.0, iPad Pro 10.5, 64GB + Apple Pencil - Procreate 5.0.2, Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3

Bug #1/screenshot 1 is my boo boo. The Beavis layer was originally full color in the file I was working on (like the second screen so that's odd), but somehow got changed to greyscale. I have no idea how that happened. So that explains why I was getting the grey then! Thanks.

The second screen, I'm not so sure if it's intentional or not. You'd have to look at the Layer panel to see how it is done as I did not include it in the .aphoto file in order to keep it from being confusing and to save bandwidth on my side. The difference is the "secondary layer"/"sublayer" is modifying the original image without Layer Fx, but instead of being limited to what is opaque, it is clipped to the layer "viewport". This may or may not be intentional. I was attempting the first method because the second was not working as intended (or so I thought) and so I discovered the second in a roundabout way.

If you would use gradient mask for layer transparency - there is no need for using effects. The layer is red, the mask is gradient - voila. In such cases there are a lot of ways to receive the same result but in different techniques.

Win10 x64 1907, 16G RAM, Core i7 + Wacom Cintiq 12WX Interactive Pen Display - Affinity Photo  1.7.3.481 + Beta 1.8.0.526, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Corel Draw X7, ArtCAM 2015 R2
iOS 13.1.0, iPad Pro 10.5, 64GB + Apple Pencil - Procreate 5.0.2, Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3

9 hours ago, Manofjesus said:

If you would use gradient mask for layer transparency - there is no need for using effects. The layer is red, the mask is gradient - voila. In such cases there are a lot of ways to receive the same result but in different techniques.

Understood. This thread was meant to report potential bugs for the beta, not meant for troubleshooting. I noticed in your screenshots you are using the regular A.Photo to test, so you may not have seen we are in the beta reporting section.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.