You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clour banding in a photo using Affinity Photo

Have been working on a RAW file that looks really good in the Affinity Photo software but when I convert it to a JPG it has colour banding on the skin tones. I have reduced the colour red (the main offending colour) which makes the skin almost pale but I still get a gradient/banding affect.

I think I have caused the problem by editing in RGB/8 bit can I correct this somehow or do I have to restart all over again and edit in 16bit (which I have not set up in the settings when I go to NEW file). If I have to restart from scratch how do I get all the 'new' imports to go straight to 16bit rather than 8bit? I have found the presets for this but not sure how to create a new one and what the steps are?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Cheers

What quality are you using to export your jpeg? If you use too low a quality then you can get banding in your export.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, anon2 said:

Does the 8 bits per channel (bpc) Affinity document look good and only the JPEG export looks bad, or does the Affinity document itself look bad?

Not sure what you mean by 8 bits per channel (bps) means BUT the final edit on the screen looks brilliant and the banding only happens when the file is exported to JPG.

4 minutes ago, travel bug said:

Not sure what you mean by 8 bits per channel (bps)

An RGB/8 document has 8 bits per channel (bpc).

4 minutes ago, travel bug said:

the final edit on the screen looks brilliant and the banding only happens when the file is exported to JPG.

In that case, see John Rostron's message above.

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

What quality are you using to export your jpeg? If you use too low a quality then you can get banding in your export.

John

Hi John, I am using the highest quality jpg file for exporting and it looks really good on the screen before I export as a jpg. I want to know how to have the software edit in 16bit after going through the Raw stage in the software. I am using a Canon Raw file and have not seen this on any of my other photos except one recently which I could live with.

6 minutes ago, travel bug said:

I want to know how to have the software edit in 16bit after going through the Raw stage in the software.

Develop Persona produces a 16 bpc document by default when developing from a camera raw file. There is an option to produce a 32 bpc document from a camera raw file, but the only time Develop Persona produces an 8 bpc result is if a Pixel layer of an already 8 bpc document is edited in Develop Persona.

2 minutes ago, anon2 said:

Develop Persona produces a 16 bpc document by default when developing from a camera raw file. There is an option to produce a 32 bpc document from a camera raw file, but the only time Develop Persona produces an 8 bpc result is if a Pixel layer of an already 8 bpc document is edited in Develop Persona.

Thanks for that anon2, so I still do not know what is happening with the banding then? How do you get a 32bpc document? I noticed one of my photos came up with 32bpc HDR but I didn't select it? Not sure how this happened.

So if I am getting this straight - Affinity Photo selects the bpc not me?  In other editing programs I have used I can select either 8bit or 16bit manually. I can't find this option.

Thanks 

29 minutes ago, travel bug said:

Thanks for that anon2, so I still do not know what is happening with the banding then? How do you get a 32bpc document? I noticed one of my photos came up with 32bpc HDR but I didn't select it? Not sure how this happened.

So if I am getting this straight - Affinity Photo selects the bpc not me?  In other editing programs I have used I can select either 8bit or 16bit manually. I can't find this option.

Thanks 

The Develop Assistant has a control labelled "RAW output format" for choosing 16 bpc or 32 bpc output from Develop Persona when a camera raw file is processed. (When the input is a camera raw file, Develop Persona always works in 32 bpc and the output control only affects the resulting document that you will get in Photo Persona.) Photo Persona in 32 bpc isn't going to help with your particular problem, since you said the Affinity document looks great and only the exported JPEG exhibits banding. The best way to get this solved if you are already using maximum quality in the JPEG export controls is to attach your Affinity document file to a message, but I appreciate that you may not want to make it publicly available.

2 hours ago, anon2 said:

The Develop Assistant has a control labelled "RAW output format" for choosing 16 bpc or 32 bpc output from Develop Persona when a camera raw file is processed. (When the input is a camera raw file, Develop Persona always works in 32 bpc and the output control only affects the resulting document that you will get in Photo Persona.) Photo Persona in 32 bpc isn't going to help with your particular problem, since you said the Affinity document looks great and only the exported JPEG exhibits banding. The best way to get this solved if you are already using maximum quality in the JPEG export controls is to attach your Affinity document file to a message, but I appreciate that you may not want to make it publicly available.

Thank you anon2 for keeping in touch with this issue.

I think I will try to recreate the issue by re-editing the photo from Raw and see what happens - if it doesn't happen again, it may show that I have caused the issue myself by over editing a jpg file after I had saved it in jpg format and having brought it back into Affinity Photo (just guessing at this point). This particular photo is very special to me personally and I spent a lot of time trying to get it just perfect - and it was perfect inside of Affinity Photo before it was exported. Thanks for the offer of viewing the file - I will do this project again and get back onto this page with the results. Note: I had been a very long term Photoshop user (CS5) and transitioning across is a learning curve in some areas.

Thanks again - I will come back soon.

16 hours ago, travel bug said:

Thank you anon2 for keeping in touch with this issue.

I think I will try to recreate the issue by re-editing the photo from Raw and see what happens - if it doesn't happen again, it may show that I have caused the issue myself by over editing a jpg file after I had saved it in jpg format and having brought it back into Affinity Photo (just guessing at this point). This particular photo is very special to me personally and I spent a lot of time trying to get it just perfect - and it was perfect inside of Affinity Photo before it was exported. Thanks for the offer of viewing the file - I will do this project again and get back onto this page with the results. Note: I had been a very long term Photoshop user (CS5) and transitioning across is a learning curve in some areas.

Thanks again - I will come back soon.

Hi, Back again after trying again from scratch. It has come out OK - I may have tried to do too much editing on the 'reloaded' jpg file that I had brought back into Affinity Photo after having saved it as an Affinity Photo file format. Sorry if this is a bit confusing - I think I confused myself actually.

What I have noticed is that when I load a Raw file from my Canon 5dMKiii the file is massive (saved into a 2gb file) - how do I get the size of the working file in Affinity Photo to stay at a default size of say 10x8 inches or whatever? Is this something that can be set so anytime I open the program the same file size (dimensions) fit my camera photo ratio? I notice that I can create a format but once it is created how does that become the default size each time I import a photo? Hope this is clear what I'm babbling about here.

Thanks again for your interest in helping me.

2 hours ago, travel bug said:

how do I get the size of the working file in Affinity Photo to stay at a default size of say 10x8 inches or whatever

When you have developed the file, use Document > Resize.  First set the resolution  to 300ppi (or whatever you want) then set the width to 10in (the height willautomatically adjust). If you save as an afphoto file or  export  as a tiff, then these dimensions will be preserved next time you load the file.

John.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

When you have developed the file, use Document > Resize.  First set the resolution  to 300ppi (or whatever you want) then set the width to 10in (the height willautomatically adjust). If you save as an afphoto file or  export  as a tiff, then these dimensions will be preserved next time you load the file.

John.

Thanks John for responding. I have understood that part of the process but what I was trying to understand was how I can set a default size so whenever I load a Raw photo it will use my preferred sizing. I think that the last size I used might be automatically used next time but it would be nice if I were able to set a default. Maybe using a 'default' itself is problematic but I thought CS5 PS had this option. 

I  did finally get a better result with the banding problem by starting all over again. I think that I was the problem.

Thanks again