You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer Mask transparency

Hi all,

I use many layer mask on compositing images.

Many uses mask with black or white trace to hide or reveal painted areas. What if I want to control mask transparency? Do I have to paint in gray or there's a way to control alpha level for a specific layer mask?

Is there any option to edit working mask as quick mask style (red overlay or other)?

Thank you so much.

• Staff

Hi mak, welcome to the Affinity forums :)

You can paint in grey to control opacity but you can also use the Erase Brush Tool, Gradient Tool and more to control a Mask's opacity. You can also press Q to jump into the Quick Mask Mode. More information can be found by typing Quick Mask selections into Affinity Photo's help - Help > Affinity Photo Help.

Hi Leigh,

please reread the question again. If you have only a little bit of understanding what masks are used for, you will find, that you didn't answer it at all.

What was asked for is some meaningful way to EDIT existing masks. If you edit masks you get a black and white picture of the mask. If you are not able to see your photo, there is no meaning in this functionality. That is editing blindfolded. To make it useful the edit mask should be displayed as overlay to the photo. 

As for the erase brush tool, there seems to be something wrong. For me it only paints black irrespective what color I choose.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have the exact same issue as chrisA...

Pls advise staff.

What was asked for is some meaningful way to EDIT existing masks. If you edit masks you get a black and white picture of the mask. If you are not able to see your photo, there is no meaning in this functionality. That is editing blindfolded. To make it useful the edit mask should be displayed as overlay to the photo.

Hi

Maybe this is can help.

If you have a layer with a mask, open that layer "group" by clicking on the small triangel to the left (in layers panel), Then select the mask by clicking on it.

You can now paint with black/white (or grey) on the mask layer - and see the picture the same time.

// Magnus

• 3 weeks later...

Thx Magnus for the tip.

I was playing with it, but I also found this solution to work for me, detailed below...

I selected adjustment layer

I set the blend mode to some obscure setting, it then reveals what I selected but I also see image.

Make my changes (paint/out adjustment)

Set back blend mode to normal.

/J

What was asked for is some meaningful way to EDIT existing masks. If you edit masks you get a black and white picture of the mask. If you are not able to see your photo, there is no meaning in this functionality. That is editing blindfolded. To make it useful the edit mask should be displayed as overlay to the photo.

There might be still another method, if you just want to refine your mask: You can also select the mask in the Layers list, choose Layer > Refine Mask …, and edit the mask as you would do with a selection. When you are done, don’t forget to select Mask as the output target. But be aware that this method invokes the Refine Selection algorithm. So this might not be useful for all purposes … (Sorry for the edits of my post. I was a bit confused at first …  :rolleyes:)

In Photoline layer masks can be grouped, and the opacity/strength of each layer mask can then be individually controlled with the layer opacity.

6o0mix.png

I do not have access to Affinity Photo at the moment, but can't we do the same in Photo? Just change the opacity of the layer mask itself?

What I really like in Photoline is that the mask opacity can be doubled up to 200% - effectively giving you a simple control to adjust the smoothing somewhat (and there is a separate layer property setting to control smooth masks as well).