You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Limit of 249 selected objects with blue outlines?

Hi all, 

I recently abandoned Illustrator to use Affinity Designer on a Macbook Pro. When I use the MOVE tool to select multiple objects, I see that only 249 objects maximu will be highlighted with blue outlines. If I select 250 or more objects, and the outlines of individual objects no longer show up, which is a real pain. I want to visualize which objects I have selected.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this? Thanks!

Screen-Shot-2020-05-30-at-1-27-21-PM-1.pScreen-Shot-2020-05-30-at-1-25-43-PM.png

27 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

I am not sure if "Curves" object is actually counted as a single object or including all constituent objects.

It is one object, regardless of quantity of separate paths inside it. For example, merge an array of 400 ellipses into one Curves object, then array 400 of these Curves objects. When 249 Curves objects are selected, all 99600 elliptical paths inside these objects are outlined.

Further the object count popup doesn't count any grouped objects.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

13 hours ago, dibasic said:

I want to visualize which objects I have selected.

Switch to the Pencil Tool after having used the Move Tool to select more that 249 objects

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 hours ago, carl123 said:

Switch to the Pencil Tool after having used the Move Tool to select more that 249 objects

So for those of us too lazy to create a document with more that 249 objects, would one of you more industrious folk attach a file like that so we can try this for ourselves? 😁

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

22 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So for those of us too lazy to create a document with more that 249 objects, would one of you more industrious folk attach a file like that so we can try this for ourselves? 😁

Takes less than one minute to create such a document. It will benefit your mind to think how you might do it and try, instead of wait for someone else.

14 minutes ago, anon2 said:

Takes less than one minute to create such a document. It will benefit your mind to think how you might do it and try, instead of wait for someone else.

I suspect you do not fully appreciate the concept of "lazy" ... 😀

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I suspect you do not fully appreciate the concept of "lazy" ... 😀

For me myself I would have to work much harder to become lazy. Someday...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

21 hours ago, dibasic said:

When I use the MOVE tool to select multiple objects, I see that only 249 objects maximu will be highlighted with blue outlines.

2 hours ago, Gear maker said:

280 separate objects and all are showing outlined in blue.

Gear maker, the point/issue/bug is the highlight during your drag-selection. There I get the limit of 249, too:

While there is no issue to show 1092 curve + curves as being selected with Move and even with Node Tool (where the blue highlights have to get rendered, too, and additionally have to create the handles:

958500010_curveselectionunlimited1.jpg.fbdb08a7c30ad933e660100dc6434dbc.jpg

2072659900_curveselectionunlimited2.jpg.7b0fc5ede18863e16daddc0806727836.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

> not dependent on the way the selection is made (dragging or one by one)

Indeed, I was not precise when saying drag-select but the video shows also click-select at its end.

> The situation you describe ("While there is no issue to show 1092 curve + curves as being selected with Move [tool]") cannot be reproduced on Windows.

I differed between becoming selected and being selected (maybe my language misinterpreting?) to make clear that more objects can be selected. Your screenshot above says "250 selected" and indicates it with the rectangle with handles. So I assume also in Windows you can have more than 249 object selected, either with move or with node to tool, right?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1