You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Still life

Mft

@Mft  Superb!  All it needs is the crackling that occurs with very old oils and it is ready for the Louvre, or the British Museum(?) or the National Gallery of Art.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Fine composition and items @Mft but why so dark?

image.png.5c94c7cb57f6105374d9d494a8d4a914.png

This is what appears when I use auto tone in Photoshop. Perhaps not the artistic impression you were looking for, perhaps something in between, but...

image.png.67bd8988e763852f6bd3e544eb765b0b.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

And for fun styled a little like a fainted painting and darker (too much I think):

painting.jpg.1245d018915cfa6b4fb28df871b81341.jpg

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

4 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

@Mft  Superb!  All it needs is the crackling that occurs with very old oils and it is ready for the Louvre, or the British Museum(?) or the National Gallery of Art.

Thank you jmwellborn for your kind comment! That could be the next step 😉.

Mft

3 hours ago, Wosven said:

Yes, perhaps with a less saturated and nearly black background, it's so powerfull that it kills the objects, and they became nearly secondary.

Thank you Wosven for your comment! I think you are quite right, actually I had different darker background but then I wanted to try that gobelin. And off a bit saturation would help.

Mft

3 hours ago, Jowday said:

And for fun styled a little like a fainted painting and darker (too much I think):

Thank you Jowday for your comment and suggestions! If I make an oil painting effect on it, some canvas texture is must. As photo, I like more my version with darker background and less saturated.

Mft

@Mft  I like your version best, too.  And I wasn’t suggesting that you change a thing — in fact I find that  bright, shiney stuff suggested to you by @Jowday really offputting.  If the Old Masters had possessed cameras, I am sure they would have tried as hard as they could to imitate your image.  As it was, they were limited to oils, which eventually cracked.   Not their original intention, I am sure.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

@Mft  I like your version best, too.  And I wasn’t suggesting that you change a thing — in fact I find that  bright, shiney stuff suggested to you by @Jowday really offputting.  If the Old Masters had possessed cameras, I am sure they would have tried as hard as they could to imitate your image.  As it was, they were limited to oils, which eventually cracked.   Not their original intention, I am sure.  

Sigh. I still recommend the old art of listening. I wasn't suggesting a thing. The "bright shiny stuff" I showed @Mft was just an example of how much detail that is lost in the darker image thus my sentence "Perhaps not the artistic impression you were looking for, perhaps something in between". Then I showed - for the fun of it - adding canvas like texture.

On a calibrated, professional screen, on a Lenovo laptop and on my iPhone the original is really on the dark, dark side unless I fx turn light on the iPhone up to the max (and then it gets too vibrant and shiny because now it functions as a tv-screen - not a painting...).

Comparing with a dim and faded old master painting worth $200.000 - 300.000 you can perhaps see that even that is significantly brighter. So I was simply suggesting it was perhaps (unintentionally) too dark - perhaps due to a too bright monitor. Fx, my secondary (inexpensive) monitor used for office work is too bright and contrast rich out of the box for image editing. Probably tuned for youtube and gaming. The difference between images displayed on that screen and this one is significant. 

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsothebys-brightspot-migration.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fdc%2Fee%2F19%2Fd5bb0175a4f828706046a040d51ce446e6c38151ae56dc1df8fbe9df01%2F44-omp-caravaggio-still-life.jpg

Still life fruits.jpg

Thank you for your comments and likes! It is good to have different opinions to make progress...

I played a bit with the photo to make it look like more "ancient"... in Affinity Photo of course. If not $200.000 - 300.000 how about X $? 😉

PA186325_3_faded.jpg