You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 1.8.3 (Windows): Exporting a selection to JPEG

I placed an image into a Publisher document page and added text within the image area. After grouping all of the elements, with the group selected I exported to JPEG ("Selection with background"). The resulting JPEG file contained a thin white border that was not in the original file. Then I tried exporting using the "without background" setting. Same result. Then I tried it as a PNG ("selection with background"). Same result. Next I tried it as a PNG without background and finally the thing was exported without the thin white rule.

This has happened several times when I've exported a selection to JPEG. (The quality setting is always 85 or higher.) So it doesn't appear to be some peculiarity of a particular image.

I don't want to have to export first to PNG, then open the PNG file in some other program and re-save as JPEG. Is there some way to save from Publisher to JPEG without the unwanted rule around the image?

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

W and H are integer values. X and Y are not. So I reset X and Y as integer values, then exported again. Same result—thin white rule.

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

Are they integer pixel values or just integer values in the document’s unit of measure?
Also, how do you know that they are integer values? (A displayed integer value may not be an actual integer value if the number of displayed decimal places is not enough to show it with precision. E.g. 10.001 may just show as 10.)

The document units setting is Pixels. Is that sufficient to determine if they are integer pixel values? If not, what additional settings should I adjust to find out?

– Anonymous cynic

1 hour ago, MikeA said:

The document units setting is Pixels. Is that sufficient to determine if they are integer pixel values? If not, what additional settings should I adjust to find out?

In Preferences > User Interface you can set the "Decimal Places for Unit Types" to various values for each unit type. This controls only the display of those numbers in fields, not the actual values. So it is a good idea to set those preference values to at least 2 decimal places.

Alternately, you can enter the values directly into the Transform panel, so if you type integer values that is what will be used.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 hours ago, R C-R said:

Alternately, you can enter the values directly into the Transform panel, so if you type integer values that is what will be used.

That's what I did after seeing a previous reply in the thread: repositioned the image (a group consisting of image+two text frames) by entering integer values into the Transform panel.

– Anonymous cynic