You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Q: Best practice for Publisher import of multiple Designer illustrations?

I'm working on another technical report in Publisher which will have lots of small-ish illustrations done in Designer.  Beause the illustrations will be used in other documents, I don't want to use Publisher's Designer persona and draw them directly within Publisher.  Because there is a lot of element sharing among the illustrations, I would prefer to work on them inside a single Designer file.  In Publisher, the illustrations will be either placed with text wrap (traditional layout) or pinned within the text flow, depending on what they are.  Probably there will be some edits to some, but not all, of the illustrations, so layout will not be "once-and-done", and it would be nice to be able to do an update in Publisher of individual illustrations as needed.

This is an aspect of Affinity workflow I haven't dealt with so far.  What's the most appropriate way to set up the Designer file(s) and bring illustrations into Publisher?  Put each on its own artboard in Designer and do something like add Pages in Publisher?  Export each as a separate SVG file and place them as images?  Just put everything on one canvas, bring the whole mess into Publisher at once, then drag the individual illustrations off to where they belong?  What do people recommend?

Your choices that I know of are:

1. Copy the layers from a Designer document and Paste them into your Publisher document. This may allow you better control over the text-wrapping and allow better insertion inline within the text flow. It will also allow easy editing within Publisher if further changes are needed, without affecting the original Designer document.

2. Exporting from Designer as SVG files, and Placing the individual SVG files into your Publisher document, either Linked or Embedded.

If Embedded, you will be able to edit them further within Publisher, without affecting the original Designer files. However, the text-wrapping and pinning inline may be more difficult than approach 1.

If Linked, you will not be able to make further edits, and text-wrapping and pinning inline may be more difficult than approach 1.

3. Saving the .afdesign file from Designer, and Placing individual artboards into your Publisher document, either Linked or Embedded.

Either Linked or Embedded you will be able to make further edits within your Publisher document. However, if Linked any edits will affect the original Designer document. And, as in 2, text-wrap and pinning inline may be more difficult than with approach 1.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I would use depending of the work:

• An imported APub file with each illustration on a page (work nice with same format objects, like stickers, since it's difficult to see at first glance different spread format in APub, if they are homothetic),
  • on an imported AD file with multiples artbaords, that you can dupplicate if you need to tweek a specific illustration and want to keep the original. You can also modify this file directly in APub later, keeping the artboard view  in the Designer persona.

This way, you can keep a colour palette and modify it in the original file. If you copy-paste them in the APub file, you'll loose those link to the colour and the palette.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Just import the multy artboard file into Publsher and you will be prompted to put the first artboard to the page.

Then, an icon "Artboard: Artboard1" appears on the context toolbar where from you can add the additional artboards into the document.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

9 minutes ago, Ralph Hulick Art said:

I don't see where to select the artboard. I am trying to place a multiple social media icons from a single Designer file; they are each on their own artboards. I am using the "place" command, is there a different way to do it?

What application are you using when you Place the Designer file, Ralph?

And, if you're using Publisher, are you Linking or Embedding the Designer file?

-- Walt
PC:

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

What application are you using when you Place the Designer file, Ralph?

And, if you're using Publisher, are you Linking or Embedding the Designer file?

I'm using Publisher, and I am Linking the Designer file. I thought that would be the best option in case I need to update something of the icons across all my Publisher files.

edit: Oh, I just found it. I had been looking at the content inside the frame, but the artboard selection dropdown was on the frame itself.

Edited by Ralph Hulick Art

4 minutes ago, Ralph Hulick Art said:

edit: Oh, I just found it. I had been looking at the content inside the frame, but the artboard selection dropdown was on the frame itself.

On the Context Toolbar, I think.

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome :)

-- Walt
PC: