You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

pdf won't upload on IngramSpark or kdp

I made a pdf for the interior of my book, and a pdf for the cover of my book using affinity publisher. The cover uploaded successfully to both IngramSpark and kdp. However, the interior file will not. I called both IngramSpark and kdp, but they were both baffled with no idea what was going on. I'm hoping someone here can tell me what the issue might be.

Since the cover uploaded successfully to both services, and the interior did not, it seems like the issue must be with the interior file, but I have no idea what that might be. I've tried 3 different browsers, I've re-exported the file and tried again. I cleared the cache's in my browsers. Nothing seems to work. The file is 120 MBs, well below the maximum size for both services. IS allows up to 1.5 GB, and kdp allow ups to 660 MB. My internet speed varies between 13 and 16 mbps. The file is in PDF/X-1a:2003 format. I am using the latest versions of macOS, affinity publisher, Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. I am not new to this. I have done many books for both services. I have never encountered this issue and I am at a loss.

Can you try with less pages?

If I needed to find which page is bugged, I'll try upload by 50% of the file, and if it's in the end, divide again this part until I found the problem… But I'm not sure you can do this on an online service.

• 6 months later...

@sukh 

You are posting this some months after the last message in this thread. To attract the attention of the OP (Original Poster), use the @ sign to select their name. Enter '@' directly followed by the name (say) MarioM. As you type, various names will appear in a drop-down list. You must select a name from that list (otherwise it will not be highlighted). Your target will receive a Notification that they have been referred to. Just as you should have received a Notification of this message.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Could be a font issue? - have you tried exporting your pdf and going to the embed fonts box and changing to 'Text to curves' ?

Screen Grab 2020-12-18 at 10.45.22.png

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

It might be the wrong PDF format. They only accept PDF/x-1a:2001 and (possibly) PDF/x-3:2002. The format uploaded by the op, PDF/X-1a:2003, is similar, but is based on PDF 1.4 (whereas the 2001 version is based on an earlier format, PDF 1.3. Apparently IngramSpark is very particular about these things.

Edited by Nani
typo

• 10 months later...

Having same issue. File uploaded before, forgot bleed...so trying to upload again today, all I am getting is the bar which rests green and nothing else. I think it's them not you. Sometimes it works, sometimes not...it's damned annoying and time consuming. 

• 1 month later...

What do you mean "forgot bleed"? Does this have something to do with how the PDF is formatted?

I am having the same problem with the interior of my book. The file with the covers uploaded no problem but the interior gets to about 90% complete and then stops progressing.

• 1 year later...

I've just spent a couple of days wrestling with the above issue, and was beginning to dread the fact that it might be an problem with V1 Affinity products - which they would be unlikely to want to address. But I found what I believe is a useful work around.

File type, colour profile and resolution are obvious issues that Ingram-Spark's servers rigidly enforce, but that would apply regardless of the originating application. I loathe Adobe's extortionate business model and refuse to use their products, so I was worried when Ingram-Spark required an Acrobat compatible PDF/X-1a:2001 codec, thinking that might be the issue. However I learned that PDF/X-1a:2003 (available in Affinity Publisher) was perfectly acceptable to the IS server, and what I thought was a compatibility problem is more likely to be a time-out issue with their server. As someone else mentioned, I have also had revisions to my book (the text file is 650mb) accepted on at least one occasion, but mostly it hangs at about the 80% mark (despite them saying file sizes of <1.5gb are acceptable, they clearly aren't'!). So the solution is a faster connection if you can find one, or as I discovered, a smaller file which uploads quicker. Preferably one under 500mb.

I'm a Mac user, so the compressor I found was on the App Store, called PDFOptim. It is excellent, very affordable, a purchase to own product, it allows fine granularity in what/how much compression it applies. It allowed me to bring my file down to around 380mb with less that 5% image compression and no discernible loss of quality on the page. My book is a cookbook with a ton of large image files, so I was nervous about what they'd look like after reduction in size, but PDFOptim did the job and LS accepted the document first time. 

Hope that saves someone else a couple of days of their life.