Chris L

1 bit TIFF/Bitmap support please

11 minutes ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

I once had a client refer me to their website (early 2000s) when I requested logo files for a print job šŸ˜­

Their response: "Just grab the logo from our website header": a 150px wide anti-aliased pixel mess with unclear lettering.

This!!! tooo many times to count Ā  šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

1 hour ago, loukash said:

Um, no offense, but in a layout app context, that sounds to me like a workflow I've been using around 1994 with PageMaker 4ā€¦ ;)

Not using a certain technique - or not knowing how - doesn't makeĀ thatĀ technique obsolete. We also used tiffs in PageMaker...

Yes, I understand that this is a different thing.
But logos?

Yes, logos too.

32 minutes ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

Ah, yes, I understand what you mean.

I've had my fair share of clients sharing bitmap files of their logos with me and lost access to the original files/vectors... Generally it means I have to trace them manually and recreate as vector šŸ™„

Clients sharing low resolution badly compress jpg bitmap logos embedded in a Word document - good times indeed! šŸ˜‰

Yeah, delightful nostalgia! Great topic for the retirement home, but not useful (to me) here. But thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

Last week I tested Publisher's new PDF Passthrough feature: I created a PDF with a 600ppi 1bit image, and placed it in Publisher, expecting it to at least leave the content alone. Right? Placing an external PDF in passthrough mode should NOT change the contents in any way.

Much to my surprise it converted the bitmap to a greyscale 300ppi one!!! Even though a 'true' pdf passthrough ought to leave the contents of an existing external placed PDF alone, Publisher happily converted that externally placed PDF's contents!

This REALLY needs to be looked at by the Affinity developers.

That's the definitive show-stopper for me; I use PDF Passthrough all the time in InDesign. Will unfortunately return to InDesign and maybe have another go with Publisher in a year or so.

Attaching a design entirely based on 1-bit tiffs. No way I would have prefered to save that illustration and the logo in endless colour-variations to test which one I would choose. In InDesign I changed the colours of both with a simple click.

5033351-origpic-a828d8.jpg

Also, I have used that particular logo more than 1.000 times. ONE BMP fileĀ = 106 Kb instead of hundreds of eps files in various colours.

43 minutes ago, DaKo said:

ONE BMP fileĀ = 106 Kb

You mean this "BIS" label logo?

43 minutes ago, DaKo said:

hundreds of eps files in various colours.

20th century has called and wants all of its EPS files backā€¦ :D
This is how I've been doing it since at least 20 years:

I would then dissect the vectors to clean paths in Illustrator, be it AI, PDF or EPS, and paste them as paths into my InDesign logo library for future use, then copying simply per drag & drop into a layout as fully editable group or compound path object.

Logos as editable paths. That's the keyword. Just a few bytes for every logo, fully editable directly in each and every layout. Colorize them at free will. No linked EPS/bitmap/PDF logos whatsoever.
This very principle works in an Affinity workflow, too. Actually even better because InDesign (CS5.5 here) path tools were severly limited and the Illustrator "roundtrip" is annoyingly clunky.

Interestingly, the reason why I started with this "dissective method" was a client whose brochures were at that time ā€“ early 2000s ā€“ duotone only: black and a spot color. I'd always had to include some 3rd party logos but often they would be CMYK EPS, i.e not suitable for duotone. So I'd had to dissect and convert them to b/w, and while at it I'd simply paste the paths from Illustrator into InDesign; that was pre-PDF/X-3 workflow, so packaging an InDesign folder was the "hit" of the day, and with a landline analog internet connection, the less MB to mail the betterā€¦

1 hour ago, DaKo said:

No way I would have prefered to save that illustration and the logo in endless colour-variations to test which one I would choose. In InDesign I changed the colours of both with a simple click.

You don't need to. It can be done with Affinity workflow. See

^ It's all there: 1-bit bitmap export, colorizing, you name it.
The only drawback is the PDF export and lack of the downsampling option for 1-bit/grayscale files. Workaround: downsample regular color images externally to Ā±300 ppiĀ  first (if manageable) and set the PDF export downsampling to whatever you need for the placed 1-bit files. Will be a p.i.t.a. for broschures with many photosā€¦ :/

That all saidā€¦

1 hour ago, DaKo said:

maybe have another go with Publisher in a year or so.

ā€¦ I hear you. Even though I've been an "early adopter" since the first v1.7 public betas, I haven't used Publisher for any serious job until just last December. It just sucked. But for the upcoming jobs and clients that I have this year, and after taking a lot of time to study the Affinity workflows without being stuck in the Adobe mindset, I'm ready.

Now, if only Serif would finally fix the crappy boolean operationsā€¦
Oh well.

Many thanksĀ loukashĀ for USEFUL tips! I didn't know about the editable paths. Will take a look at that.

I always save my linked images at 300 dpi, so setting the export resolution to 1.200 dpi would indeed be enough for the bmp (and hopefully not upsamplingĀ the tiffs!?). But somebody mentioned earlier that Publisher doesn't keep the transparency in bmp files. Or did I misunderstand that?

25 minutes ago, DaKo said:

hopefully not upsamplingĀ the tiffs!?

No, I tested that already. In my aforementioned workflow, I simply set "Raster DPI" to 580 (I think) and the preset would then automatically adjust to "Downsample images above 600 DPI".

25 minutes ago, DaKo said:

somebody mentioned earlier that Publisher doesn't keep the transparency in bmp files. Or did I misunderstand that?

No idea about the BMP format. If you need bitmap transparency, see also my workflow for creating a 1-bit PNG. It works. Just make sure to keep as a placed image layer and don't convert it to a regular pixel layer, otherwise you'll lose the crucial "K Only" function. Also, placed images can (should) be put in an image frame for easy handling, cropping, background, etc.

I think this video was particularly useful to help me understand how it works: affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/designer/desktop/video/497574347. It's for Designer but applicable to Publisher as well.

15 hours ago, loukash said:

Um, no offense, but in a layout app context, that sounds to me like a workflow I've been using around 1994 with PageMaker 4ā€¦ ;)

Not around but since...!

22 hours ago, Fixx said:

Not around but since...!

Having learned graphic design the analog "old school" way in 1980s and being self-taught in DTP during the late 80s and early 90s, eventually I'd almost learned the hard way what happens if you use poorly scanned bitmap logos camouflaged as an "EPS" in an old school page layout application that will show you a low-res pixelated EPS preview at best, if any. Luckily, the print guy alerted me before he'd start to print. He also explaned to me why when it comes to logos, vector = good and bitmap = bad.

But don't get me wrong folks: I'd definitely like to see full 1-bit support in Affinity as much as you do. Sometimes, it is the right format.
Context matters.ā„¢