You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Double entry in TOC

In a document I'm working on, the chapter heading consists of a number and a title. The number is placed in a separate, linked text frame. Number and title are within the same paragraph.

In the table of contents this results in two entries, the first including the number, the second without.

Deleting the text frame containing only the number – which moves the number into the main text frame – results in only one entry in the TOC.

1-heading.jpg

2-toc.jpg

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

On 5/29/2020 at 6:55 AM, RM f/g said:

In a document I'm working on, the chapter heading consists of a number and a title. The number is placed in a separate, linked text frame. Number and title are within the same paragraph.

In the table of contents this results in two entries, the first including the number, the second without.

Deleting the text frame containing only the number – which moves the number into the main text frame – results in only one entry in the TOC.

As you are going to the trouble of making a separate frame why not include in it the title as well as the number?

Or, more prosaically, what happens if you make it like so with Text Flow instead of Text Frames.

1975185264_ScreenShot2020-05-30at9_24_55AM.png.9e3826b6601a02415e98c89c6f3ea783.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

51 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

As you are going to the trouble of making a separate frame why not include in it the title as well as the number?

Yes, that would be the anwer! Just store the complete heading in one text frame.

53 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Or, more prosaically, what happens if you make it like so with Text Flow instead of Text Frames.

That is not going to work as I have started a new texts flow with each chapter.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

1 hour ago, RM f/g said:

That is not going to work as I have started a new texts flow with each chapter.

Obviously, once you point it out to me, but I should have figured it out from the screen shot. Also obvious was my lack of coffee.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

6 hours ago, RM f/g said:

Hi Gabe

No returns used, only a regular space.

Your text frame for the 1 is too small to hold it.

Do you mean it doesn't fit? It fits here, but only just at closer inspection. Have made the frame higher.

Still a work in progress.

• Staff
15 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Your text frame for the 1 is too small to hold it.

You probably don't have the font. Mine does not fit either without the font. 

@RM f/g

It's still the same issue as I described. If your paragraph falls in between 2 frames, it seems to add 2 entries. Soft returns or no returns, they both fall in the same category. Try a hard return and that should work fine :)

A hard return? Between the number and the text?

But that would result in two entries in the toc, wouldn't it? First line with only the number, second line with only the text, as we then have two paragraphs.

Or do I misunderstand?

• Staff

You can probably work around the issue by changing the paragraph style. but that's probably too much work that needs doing to work around this bug. Perhaps the easiest way at the moment is to manually delete the extra lines in the TOC. 

I'm going for manually removing the extra lines in the toc.

Thanks for looking into this.