You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How does one equitably create/modify tabs in Designer. I've used the text ruler in Publisher so I can see the impact of my changes. But in Designer, I seem to be limited to a palette in the Paragraph studio with tabstops in a list. Frankly, this doesn't even seem to work as, when I change the value of a tabstop, it reverts to what it was.

Also, are text styles compatible from Publisher to Designer? For example, if I use a style called "Color Recipe" which has specific attributes (i.e., fonts, TABS, etc.) in Publisher and paste text into Designer with the Color Recipe style, should those same attributes be applied?

Am I missing something?

image.png.df4ed389d670dfca3f588136fc0411ac.png

Some of the ‘extended’ text editing/formatting functionality of Publisher is deliberately omitted from Designer (you are expected to buy the application(s) for the functionality you need).
If you want to change any Publisher-specific formatting that has been applied then you should do it in Publisher, or, to put it another way, if you need the functionality of Publisher then use Publisher.

If the Tab Stops functionality of Designer isn’t working in some way then you can either ask the forums members to look into that specifically or raise a bug report in the relevant forum section if it’s not working how it should.

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

Some of the ‘extended’ text editing/formatting functionality of Publisher is deliberately omitted from Designer (you are expected to buy the application(s) for the functionality you need).

IMO all overlaping features that are specific for sme app, must be removed from the other two. If not, what is the Studio Link for in Publisher? Maybe someone can say that a designer needs only Desinger, maybe Photo ocasionally, but real designer must have all 3 apps.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

22 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

IMO all overlaping features that are specific for sme app, must be removed from the other two. If not, what is the Studio Link for in Publisher? Maybe someone can say that a designer needs only Desinger, maybe Photo ocasionally, but real designer must have all 3 apps.

While I don't necessarily agree with this, perhaps my workflow is curious or different than most? What I was attempting to do was use designer to create a graphic that included text, and that required tabs to align that text. These graphics would be used in a variety of ways and places, so it seems smarter to me to embed the text in the graphics and be done. Then place the graphic in publisher for print matter, but also be able to use the graphic online, in powerpoint presentations, etc.

I have not had much success in opening a file in publisher, from there, opening a placed file (which shows embedded) and being able to save the edited version. Clearly I'm missing something, but ultimately, it seems to me that if we're going to have a suite of products that share some features, why not have fundamental features all behave the same way in each app? Just my two cents...

Hi Clayton,

My response was to GarryP. In yours case, because Designer doesn't have text ruler as Publisher, I would chose between these 2 options:

1. I would separate text in different text frames and align them in Designer, or
  2. I would import the graphic into Publisher, create the captions, group them with the grpahics and put them into Assets panel and use it as much as I need them on other pages.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)