You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - Create Scribble Effect?

In the vector based image manipulation software I currently try to replace with Affinity Designer, there is an effect called "Scribble" which lets one easily style fills and strokes in a scribbled look. Length, width and all that are customizable and they allow to create elements like the one in the image attached. I couldn't find such an effect in Designer so far, so did I miss it, or is there a way to recreate this effect with different methods?

Scribble.png

I think what should maybe perhaps work somehow in a similar fashion is to use and setup some scribble brush for line styles and varying the used brush line width then. - You have to give that some tryout.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

No that won't work for fills, fills would then have to be emulated in some other suitable and vector complient way.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

I had a play around for half an hour or so and managed to come up with this in Photo (not Designer, unfortunately).
It uses Procedural Textures and Displacement Maps (non-destructively), the green example is the ‘before’ image.

The Displacement maps were created from the Procedural Texture Oils preset with a bit of Gaussian Blur.
The black lines were grouped and given their own Displacement Map while the fills were given another slightly different one.

It’s not quite what is wanted (nothing like it really), but it looks a little bit like someone has scribbled it and maybe useful to someone under certain circumstances or might give an idea for something else.

Annotation 2020-05-29 095605.png

12 hours ago, v_kyr said:

fills would then have to be emulated in some other suitable and vector complient way

Are those examples somehow integrateable with Affinity? It looks like they are more web based solutions and I don't really want to code my graphics :D

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I had a play around for half an hour or so and managed to come up with this in Photo

Thank you so much for your effort! I wouldn't mind using a different Affinity App (or really any other App) but I need to recreate pretty much the exact style I mentioned as it's part of a Corporate Design. So unfortunately I don't have much room for variations... really appreciate your help, though!

49 minutes ago, Vibe Design said:

Are those examples somehow integrateable with Affinity? It looks like they are more web based solutions and I don't really want to code my graphics

No not really, you can create vector based scribble fills in SVG with Inkscape etc. and then try to take these over (reuse them) in AD, but AD's capabilities in terms of parsing and interpreting SVG are pretty limited here in contrast to other SVG engine implementations. - Another possibility would be to use bitmap based scribbles, hatch and pattern styles for AD fills etc., but then those wouldn't be plain vectors anymore.

All in all AD doesn't have or offer such an easy, ready to use and customizable vector based scribble effect.