You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Floating....composition attempt with AP

horslip

You welcomed comments (I know that I, too, always want honest ones) so here's mine -

The Really Good:

The dangling shoelace and the shadow really help to sell it!

The fact that the 'floater' is engrossed in his phone rather than looking towards the camera also helps (imagine the overall impression were he to have earphones in).

The Less than Perfect:

The scale of the back wall draws undue attention to itself because of the size of the peeling paint.

The darkening of the upper left and right corners (likely to justify the shadow underneath) also received a bit too much attention from my eyes. Perhaps the 'Lighting ' filter instead could have served the purpose.

And it looked a really fuzzy around his legs!!! (Oops, never mind, that was his legs that looked fuzzy  :rolleyes: )

Imaginative concept and good work. It takes a lot of time and finesse to mask something like this. I liked what you did previously with the sunflower also, BTW.

You welcomed comments (I know that I, too, always want honest ones) so here's mine -

The Really Good:

The dangling shoelace and the shadow really help to sell it!

The fact that the 'floater' is engrossed in his phone rather than looking towards the camera also helps (imagine the overall impression were he to have earphones in).

The Less than Perfect:

The scale of the back wall draws undue attention to itself because of the size of the peeling paint.

The darkening of the upper left and right corners (likely to justify the shadow underneath) also received a bit too much attention from my eyes. Perhaps the 'Lighting ' filter instead could have served the purpose.

And it looked a really fuzzy around his legs!!! (Oops, never mind, that was his legs that looked fuzzy  :rolleyes: )

Imaginative concept and good work. It takes a lot of time and finesse to mask something like this. I liked what you did previously with the sunflower also, BTW.

Many thanks for your comments, both good and bad.

I realise the end result is far from being perfect and as I said in the original post I'm learning by doing.

Maybe one day I will be able to work with AP and create flawless compositions, maybe not. But I am enjoying the trial and error process at the moment.

The original shot of the young man was a random street shot, his intense interest in his phone got my attention.  It was his sitting position that gave me the idea for this composite.

I have added the original shot to the post.

I have yet to see a 'perfect' or 'flawless' composite (or photo for that matter) even though it is that for which we strive. Is there another way of learning besides learning by doing? Imitation and trial and error are some of the best ways to learn. I am in the same position of learning and although I am sometimes quite pleased with what I may have gotten 'right', I think it is only when I see what I might have done better that the learning really begins for me.

But I digress; I am really only posting again here to say, "Good eye on capturing the original image" and to thank you for uploading it now to go with the composite as I think that it can help others, like me, to see more of what goes into the compositing process.

Again, good work! I hopefully look forward to seeing more of your work shared here.