You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 10/27/2021 at 7:18 PM, Snapseed said:

Serif Affinity is 100x smaller than Adobe Corporation so just who is going to provide all the annual salaries for all the extra developers who will be required in any attempt to provide an Android version of Affinity Photo?

Who provided for those who developed all the existing Serif software?  Seems to me...with that perspective...Serif never would have existed...they wouldn't have even tried.

3 hours ago, Snapseed said:

Indeed, and one of the issues that they will face if they choose to try to produce an Android app is that that they will be entering an already crowded market that is full of existing and competent photo and image editors.

As if they haven't successfully done that in three other markets already.

19 hours ago, pixelstuff said:

As if they haven't successfully done that in three other markets already.

That is based on a false understanding of the actual situation. When it came to serious, professional software, Affinity Photo, for example, only faced Adobe Photoshop and Corel PaintShop Pro on Windows and Adobe Photoshop and Pixelmator Pro on macOS and iPadOS.

In contrast, the market is saturated with competent digital asset management and RAW editor software products so it would be much more of an uphill struggle for Serif Affinity to enter, and to try to compete in, those two markets.

5 hours ago, Snapseed said:

That is based on a false understanding of the actual situation. When it came to serious, professional software, Affinity Photo, for example, only faced Adobe Photoshop and Corel PaintShop Pro on Windows and Adobe Photoshop and Pixelmator Pro on macOS and iPadOS.

In contrast, the market is saturated with competent digital asset management and RAW editor software products so it would be much more of an uphill struggle for Serif Affinity to enter, and to try to compete in, those two markets.

Isn't the discussion regarding Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer and/or Affinity Publisher on Android?

8 hours ago, Nita Reed said:

Isn't the discussion regarding Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer and/or Affinity Publisher on Android?

The situation in the second paragraph already applies to the  Android operating system - Serif Affinity's competitors are now already present in the Play Store in significant numbers.

6 hours ago, Novak said:

Like who? Name 1.

Adobe Creative Cloud, Lightroom, Photoshop Elements and Photoshop Mix are all available as Android apps and that's just from one competitor company. In addition, Serif Affinity has had greater priorities, one of which is making sure that all their profitable software products work well on Apple's range of M1 Macs.

I can fully understand the wish for Affinity apps to be available on the Android platform but there's no sign yet that the company is interested in going down that route and we cannot do anything about that. Currently, their job vacancies are asking for people with experience of Windows, macOS or iOS so I'd suggest keeping a watch on their job vacancies to see if they start asking for people with "experience of Windows, macOS, iOS or Android", and then you'll know that something interesting might be about to happen.

15 minutes ago, Snapseed said:

Adobe Creative Cloud, Lightroom, Photoshop Elements and Photoshop Mix are all available as Android apps and that's just from one competitor company. In addition, Serif Affinity has had greater priorities, one of which is making sure that all their profitable software products work well on Apple's range of M1 Macs.

I can fully understand the wish for Affinity apps to be available on the Android platform but there's no sign yet that the company is interested in going down that route and we cannot do anything about that. Currently, their job vacancies are asking for people with experience of Windows, macOS or iOS so I'd suggest keeping a watch on their job vacancies to see if they start asking for people with "experience of Windows, macOS, iOS or Android", and then you'll know that something interesting might be about to happen.

Those Adobe products are heavily washed down versions. Yes I know Affinity sw for iPads are also somewhat lite, but way more capable than Adobe's offerings which is why Adobe has announced their full blown photoshop for iPads. 

2 hours ago, Snapseed said:

Ummm. All you did here was name the single competitor that was already on all the other markets when Serif decided to enter those.

The fact is that other than Adobe products, which are too heavily dependent on Adobe's Creative Cloud, there isn't a high end photo editor on Android. All of the others seem to be basic cropping and tinting apps.

The only real question is whether all the Android tablet and Chromebook owners would want a good photo editor.

21 hours ago, Snapseed said:

Um...soooo Adobe?  Was that not the entity that Serif directly competes with on PC, MAC and IPAD?

You were stating that there were too many other competitors on Android...not just Adobe.  Or did I misunderstand?

The ONLY question is whether Serif as a company has the capacity to add further cross-platform development to their portfolio. You want Affinity for Android, another bunch in another thread want Affinity for Linux: both sets of voices are strong and compelling, however the reality is that Serif would need to maintain the cross-platform selling point if they developed for either Linux or Android or both, and if they did this, it would also mean taking on more developers.

"Yes, and ... ?" I hear you all cry! Well, yes, in theory that's a logical and easy step, but in reality you are dealing with David, not Goliath. It's truly remarkable what Serif has achieved since starting Affinity. I am a member of a photography forum where at least a third of the membership seem to be using Affinity, and there is even a sub-forum there that deals exclusively with Affinity discussions. Serif has put themselves there, in my opinion, by focusing on what they are currently doing and trying to do it really well.

The other thing to bear in mind is bugs: the bigger the Affinity customer base becomes, the more variety there will be in hardware/software combinations, and therefore the more bugs are likely to rear their heads. As I have said elsewhere, I would rather efforts be concentrated on bug squashing than Serif diversifying further into areas that they cannot realistically fully support.

To understand the real reasons why Serif have not yet shown any signs of diversifying further, we'd need comment from them, but that is not their chosen MO: they remain (rightly, in my view) very guarded about sharing their aspirations, and I can understand why. Aspirations can very quickly be interpreted by a forum readership as promises, and then when those aspirations are not realised, it can lead to a feeling that promises have been broken, and I suspect Serif don't want that sort of vibe going on here.

The comments I have made here are based on a very long association with Serif software and observations of conversations on their two previous support platforms, Community Plus and, before that, the Serif Forums. My relationship with Serif software goes back nearly 30 years (I was an early adopter of their flagship Plus range title, PagePlus), so I am a big fan, and although the deprecation of their Plus range broke my heart, I do understand, from a business perspective, why it was done, and stepping back now into the Serif arena after a break of a few years, I can honestly say that their gamble paid off.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what is said in this thread or the Linux one: Serif and ONLY Serif will decide if and when the time is right to diversify, and as they run customer betas, I expect we'll be the first to know here. :)

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

5 hours ago, Ali said:

I would rather efforts be concentrated on bug squashing than Serif diversifying further into areas that they cannot realistically fully support.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting Serif does something that they can't fully support. Like everything else in the Feature Request & Suggestion section, suggestions are made in the hopes that Serif likes the idea, feels it is worth their time, AND decides they can fully support it.

Personally, I like seeing discussion on the pros and cons of different ideas, even if we don't have all the inside information to know how Serif would weigh in on the issue.

7 hours ago, Ali said:

The ONLY question is whether Serif as a company has the capacity to add further cross-platform development to their portfolio. You want Affinity for Android, another bunch in another thread want Affinity for Linux: both sets of voices are strong and compelling, however the reality is that Serif would need to maintain the cross-platform selling point if they developed for either Linux or Android or both, and if they did this, it would also mean taking on more developers.

"Yes, and ... ?" I hear you all cry! Well, yes, in theory that's a logical and easy step, but in reality you are dealing with David, not Goliath. It's truly remarkable what Serif has achieved since starting Affinity. I am a member of a photography forum where at least a third of the membership seem to be using Affinity, and there is even a sub-forum there that deals exclusively with Affinity discussions. Serif has put themselves there, in my opinion, by focusing on what they are currently doing and trying to do it really well.

The other thing to bear in mind is bugs: the bigger the Affinity customer base becomes, the more variety there will be in hardware/software combinations, and therefore the more bugs are likely to rear their heads. As I have said elsewhere, I would rather efforts be concentrated on bug squashing than Serif diversifying further into areas that they cannot realistically fully support.

To understand the real reasons why Serif have not yet shown any signs of diversifying further, we'd need comment from them, but that is not their chosen MO: they remain (rightly, in my view) very guarded about sharing their aspirations, and I can understand why. Aspirations can very quickly be interpreted by a forum readership as promises, and then when those aspirations are not realised, it can lead to a feeling that promises have been broken, and I suspect Serif don't want that sort of vibe going on here.

The comments I have made here are based on a very long association with Serif software and observations of conversations on their two previous support platforms, Community Plus and, before that, the Serif Forums. My relationship with Serif software goes back nearly 30 years (I was an early adopter of their flagship Plus range title, PagePlus), so I am a big fan, and although the deprecation of their Plus range broke my heart, I do understand, from a business perspective, why it was done, and stepping back now into the Serif arena after a break of a few years, I can honestly say that their gamble paid off.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what is said in this thread or the Linux one: Serif and ONLY Serif will decide if and when the time is right to diversify, and as they run customer betas, I expect we'll be the first to know here. :)

We are letting Serif know what would be good for us.

This is, to me, a suggestion box...  With respect, I was not really interested in all the devil's advocate (bordering on negative nelly) opinions.  I get it...you all do not need or want it on Android.  Noted.  I, personally, do not buy/use Apple products.  I love Affinity...and I would love to have access to Affinity on a tablet.  It's really that simple to me.  I don't think I'm alone in that, either.

It's my hope that they will see that there are enough expressing a desire for Android, they can then determine if it's viable.

The rest of this is rather depressing, really.

Personally, I like seeing discussion on the pros and cons of different ideas, even if we don't have all the inside information to know how Serif would weigh in on the issue.

I have no problem with anyone putting a case for something they would like from Serif; my point is that only they can decide if it's feasible for them as company.

1 hour ago, Nita Reed said:

With respect, I was not really interested in all the devil's advocate (bordering on negative nelly) opinions. 

Well, don't read them, then. ;)

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

On 11/5/2021 at 1:10 PM, Ali said:

On 11/5/2021 at 10:01 PM, Ali said:

I have no problem with anyone putting a case for something they would like from Serif; my point is that only they can decide if it's feasible for them as company.

Well, don't read them, then. ;)

Thank you for your excellent and relevant comments.

There is no sign yet that Serif will be developing versions of their rather good products for either of the Linux or Android operating systems. That is unfortunate and what we do over in the Affinity products for Linux thread is suggest viable alternatives to the three Affinity softwares. None of the softwares suggested are in any way competitors to any Affinity product precisely because Serif doesn't do any software products for either Android or Linux. 

Link - https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/47502-affinity-products-for-linux/

Not really been following this thread but getting the notifs anyway

I'm committed to Apple again for a few years now, but if at some point in the future there was an Android version it might be nice..

I know this was explained by someone but I'm always preoccupied with just designing - I just want to know what button to press to get on with my work - one of the major gripes with the iPad version is when, how and where is the damn app saving stuff?

I've been making sure I have stuff saved by creating a pixel layer and drawing something recognisable from the thumbnails in Files so I can see YES it has SAVED this file as SOMETHING.afdesign so at least so I'm not going to LOSE ANY WORK!

I'm working between windows and iOS and sometimes when I go to my iPad to continue working on something from the Cloud and then I want to save my progress - it only offers me the option "Save A Copy" - not just Save? Why?

So there I was just then saving my work, not that much - and I could only Save A Copy so I renamed the file so I could know it was the same file but with additional work from my iPad. I decided to close everything down in the main menu and reopen the file so I could maybe just Save as normal - AND IT'S JUST SAVED A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL FILE UNDER A NEW NAME+NUMBER WITHOUT THE EXTRA WORK! What ****ing use is that!

Save the file as anything - but when I choose to SAVE it would be helpful to SAVE the FILE as what is it is AT THE TIME! Oh right aye, please save the file.. but save it as it was 10 minutes ago and screw anything I have done in between then and now, because by SAVE I don't mean MAKE SURE MY PROGRESS IS "SAVED" I mean WIPE ALL MY PROGRESS.. 

Because Apple have to design their OS to be different in every way to Windows..

<insert anti-Apple expletives here>

Just to add my voice to the call for an android tablet version request;

As others have said completely accept that it may not be feasable for serif to accomplish this for various reasons, sure there are all sorts of reasons this is more difficult than many of us may appreciate.

But Serif if you are listening just to let you know, here is one more potential customer who would be happy to purchase for android tablet if you do develop it 🤞

On 2/2/2021 at 7:59 PM, Honor said:

Everything I looked at shows Android tablets selling at least 2:1 over Apple tablets

At the moment, the App Store is selling twice more apps than the Google Play Store. This data is probably more interesting for a software manufacturer than the number of cell phones going in the hands of seniors or kids.

I would also add that the Play Store doesn't seem to include a lot of professional graphic apps. Google doesn't even supply a "Graphic" or "Creativity" section in the store, contrary to the "Productivity" one, containing the usual office suites and some utilities. On the contrary, the App Store is filled up with creativity software.

Paolo

On 3/30/2021 at 11:01 PM, garrettm30 said:

Do you mean the free trial of Affinity Photo on desktop?

I don't know the specific case, but when doing some research I can sadly see that cracks of Affinity apps do exist, and they seem to be available from several places. It is inexplicable how such fairly-priced powerful software can be pirated, but there is a category of users that can't even consider how self-hurting it is damaging a software manufacturer like Serif. So, I fear that someone may be convinced that the Affinity software can be "free".

Paolo

15 minutes ago, PaoloT said:

I don't know the specific case, but when doing some research I can sadly see that cracks of Affinity apps do exist, and they seem to be available from several places. It is inexplicable how such fairly-priced powerful software can be pirated, but there is a category of users that can't even consider how self-hurting it is damaging a software manufacturer like Serif. So, I fear that someone may be convinced that the Affinity software can be "free".

Paolo

This has always been the case with most software, since the dawn of software. It's been argued over the years that piracy, in most cases, ends up making said software more popular. People using pirated software, in most cases, weren't going to buy it anyway, so, it's not exactly lost sales. Protection mechanisms have evolved over the years, so have the pirates' ability to bypass or disable these mechanisms. It's a cat and mouse game that'll never really stop. It's not worth worrying about it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2021 at 7:04 PM, PaoloT said:

On the contrary, the App Store is filled up with creativity software.

Well, things are not gonna get better for the Google Play Store, if software developers like Serif continue to offer their apps exclusively for iOS. I mean that's even the point: if you're looking for a subscription-free photo editor with a desktop-like GUI, you'll find plenty of choices in the Apple App Store. But if you're a Android user resp. own an Android tablet, there is AFAIK not a single photo editor of this kind. You'll find some excellent graphic suites like Krita or Clip Studio paint, but when it comes to photo/image editing, you'll have to get along with either Adobe Products (meaning you'll have to subscribe for some kind of plan) or some photo editor for smartphones.

So looking at some other comments here, there is a strong demand coming from Android users, but no software developer ready to jump into the breach and provide an adequate offer. 

This is some kind of vicious circle: There is no graphic/creativity section in the Play Store, because too many developers develop exclusively for iOS and – on the other side – developers say they won't develop for Android because there is no graphic/creativity section in the Play Store resp. because Apple seems to be more commited to the creative community. Well, it's about time someone makes the first step and breaks that vicious circle; I would be glad if it were Serif...

P.S.: I'm not a programmer, but as far as I know, Linux and Android have so many things in common resp. share the same core technology. So, porting Affinity Photo to Android would eventually be like killing two birds with one stone, as much of the programming work would be done not for one system, but for both. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i asked this exact question back in 2019 with the samsung galaxy tab s6 came out.... and got the same exact answer as most of you and as ironic as it sounds they said the exact same thing back then as they are saying today.... they had 4 yrs to figure that out and they chose to be loyal to apple..... i too hate apple products and refuse to use the ipad as well.....  since then i gave up on knock my head on a dead end product that could be used on andriod that too specifically samsung since they are the leader of the pack..... i now use xgimp image editor on my samsung galaxy tabe s7 plus..... so far it works for my needs on a tablet...... quit beating your heads ..... this company and many others support apple for 1 reason..... because thats where the money is...... andriod sadly (and its not only limited to just software or hardware) has always gotten the boot which is how andriod will eventually fail..... every company supports apple and windows over any other company which should not be a surprise to anyone.... take it as it is..... your crys for this to be on andriod are just going on deaf ears..... these people are interested in the easy money ..... and even if the companies do support andriod... its always half baked rather then the full package that apple receives which is pathetic.... and countless companies are guilty of this..... because their loyalty is with apple/windows.... so take it as it is ..... i am still going to use affinity photo on my windows pc regardless.... since thats the only option i have..... sometimes the truth hurts.... but at the end of the day its being realistic..... 

On 2/22/2022 at 5:37 AM, Manny_va said:

i asked this exact question back in 2019 with the samsung galaxy tab s6 came out.... and got the same exact answer as most of you and as ironic as it sounds they said the exact same thing back then as they are saying today.... they had 4 yrs to figure that out and they chose to be loyal to apple..... i too hate apple products and refuse to use the ipad as well.....  since then i gave up on knock my head on a dead end product that could be used on andriod that too specifically samsung since they are the leader of the pack..... i now use xgimp image editor on my samsung galaxy tabe s7 plus..... so far it works for my needs on a tablet...... quit beating your heads ..... this company and many others support apple for 1 reason..... because thats where the money is...... andriod sadly (and its not only limited to just software or hardware) has always gotten the boot which is how andriod will eventually fail..... every company supports apple and windows over any other company which should not be a surprise to anyone.... take it as it is..... your crys for this to be on andriod are just going on deaf ears..... these people are interested in the easy money ..... and even if the companies do support andriod... its always half baked rather then the full package that apple receives which is pathetic.... and countless companies are guilty of this..... because their loyalty is with apple/windows.... so take it as it is ..... i am still going to use affinity photo on my windows pc regardless.... since thats the only option i have..... sometimes the truth hurts.... but at the end of the day its being realistic..... 

Things are much different today than they were 3y ago. We're getting 12L meaning Android is officially back on big screens and not just some Samsung experiment, sales of high end Android tablets are also going up and some nice SW (LumaFusion) is on it's way to Android. Not saying we'll see Affinity on Android anytime soon, or ever, but with recent development I see a bright future for Android on tablets with or without Serif. Btw if they decide to ignore it, some other  company will jump in.