You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

On 1/4/2021 at 12:33 PM, wonderings said:

I could be wrong, as I do to gather the statistics myself but according to one website which I will link it does not look all that consolidated. 

https://www.browserstack.com/guide/what-is-android-fragmentation

What google stuff is preloaded with Apple products? Yes they can use it but I did not have any Google apps preloaded on my iPad Pro, iPhone 11, iMac's, MacBook Pro's, etc. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 7.31.52 AM.png

Unfortunately, there are those who are detached from economic reality and who refuse to recognise that such a fragmented software ecosystem with additional specific manufacturer customisations and fewer updates means it is much less likely that Serif Affinity will ever develop their products for the Android operating system because it just isn't viable to do so not least because it involves so much extra effort on their part.

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2021 at 7:18 PM, Johannes2222 said:

I would like affinity apps too for android. Would it be a possibility to finance the development work by crowdfunding on kickstarter for example.  So serif would see if there is enough need for a android app. 

Serif Affinity currently regard it as uneconomic to develop for Android because of the fragmented operating system versions and the huge variety of technical variations on each range of phones from all the different manufacturers. No amount of potential crowdfunding initiatives will change those facts.

Indeed, even Adobe only support a very limited range of devices and Android versions - Android9 + Android10 on specific Pixel, Samsung, One Plus, Oppo and Sony Experia devices and that's it.

On 3/30/2021 at 4:46 PM, Harry Wolfanger said:

I have merely the free Affinity photo,  because it has no version for Android. I will not buy any Affinity, before it has no Android Version. Why soulg I buy a dying system as i-os whyle Android is exploding? No chance!

iOS is dying? Someone should tell Apple and their year after year record profits and high iPhone and iPad sales. And you should not buy anything you do not want to buy. If you are using Android then it obviously would not make sense for you to buy an iOS app. Now if you are using Windows or Mac, not sure why not Android version would keep you from buying that if the software fits your needs. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2020 at 10:02 AM, Medical Officer Bones said:

Is this still in development? I can only find some helper app with 5k+ downloads on Google Play.

Ideally I'd like to use Affinity on a tablet device. I just tested it out on my mum's iPad and sent the file to myself and opened it up on the Windows version and it was exactly the same, which was neat. Does Krita offer this functionality?

I'd have more confidence in alternating between platforms using the same software.

Yes, still in development: the latest update was march 2021.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.krita

Perhaps use cloud based software such as Photopea? It's a Photoshop clone working in the browser. As long as your device can run a modern browser, all your files are shared via the same account.

https://www.photopea.com/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Still waiting on Affinity for my Galaxy Tab S7+ and my new Galaxy Z Fold 3. Make Affinity app that will work on Galaxy Tab S7+ and you have my money. There is no need to support every Android tablet/device. Support only the top end devices which are Samsung and Google flagship devices. The excuse that there are too many devices to support on Android is just a lazy way of saying that you can't be bothered to figure out where the prime market is on the Android platform and are willing to cast paying customers aside.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there, 

Recently I got that amazing tablet, Samsung galaxy Tab S7 plus and I gotta tell you that it will replace my laptop for my day to day routines and I was amazed to find out that Affinity does not have version for Android. 

I am a headshot photographer and using Affinity on the tablet would have been great as in this case I'd most likely would have replaced the laptop almost entirely.

The share of these devices is growing so you should seriously consider fixing this. 

It's very much possible to have an Android version. The excuses about "economic viability" and "fragmentation" are about half a decade outdated. If several small developers can do it, there's no excuse for Serif to not do it other than the lack of will. You don't "have to develop for a thousand different devices" as many here seem to imagine.. that's not how software development works. If that was the case, Android wouldn't have more than 10 apps. You target a specific API level, a specific device performance level and that's about it. Any well-made app will work on almost every mid to high end Android device running Android 9-12 just fine.

On 10/22/2021 at 5:40 PM, focuslocked said:

It's very much possible to have an Android version. The excuses about "economic viability" and "fragmentation" are about half a decade outdated. If several small developers can do it, there's no excuse for Serif to not do it other than the lack of will. You don't "have to develop for a thousand different devices" as many here seem to imagine.. that's not how software development works. If that was the case, Android wouldn't have more than 10 apps. You target a specific API level, a specific device performance level and that's about it. Any well-made app will work on almost every mid to high end Android device running Android 9-12 just fine.

Serif Affinity is 100x smaller than Adobe Corporation so just who is going to provide all the annual salaries for all the extra developers who will be required in any attempt to provide an Android version of Affinity Photo?

46 minutes ago, Snapseed said:

Serif Affinity is 100x smaller than Adobe Corporation so just who is going to provide all the annual salaries for all the extra developers who will be required in any attempt to provide an Android version of Affinity Photo?

That would be Serif that provides the resources for the developers, just like they did for Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo for Windows, Mac OS, and iPad OS, and Affinity Publisher for Windows and Mac OS.

Do you think they source that out to other companies or something?

17 hours ago, pixelstuff said:

That would be Serif that provides the resources for the developers, just like they did for Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo for Windows, Mac OS, and iPad OS, and Affinity Publisher for Windows and Mac OS.

Do you think they source that out to other companies or something?

Serif Europe does not want to end up like Wise Acre Frozen Treats so not likely to happen.

55 minutes ago, Snapseed said:

Serif Europe does not want to end up like Wise Acre Frozen Treats so not likely to happen.

I didn’t know about Wise Acre Frozen Treats until I looked it up just now. A cautionary tale! :o

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 10/22/2021 at 6:40 PM, focuslocked said:

That's the only post that makes sense in this whole conversation. Thank you.

Some people should definitely stop talking when they don't know what they are talking about. 

On 10/22/2021 at 12:40 PM, focuslocked said:

Don't think Serif has ever said they "can't do it". They have chosen for the moment to not do it. That is their business decision, right or wrong. 

On 11/1/2021 at 12:18 PM, wonderings said:

Don't think Serif has ever said they "can't do it". They have chosen for the moment to not do it. That is their business decision, right or wrong. 

Indeed, and one of the issues that they will face if they choose to try to produce an Android app is that that they will be entering an already crowded market that is full of existing and competent photo and image editors.