You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, I think an Android version-especially of Affinity Photo, if not the whole suite--would be fabulous. It's a shame that you only offer software for Apple IOS when Andoid is considerably more popular worldwide. Although the design industry loves Mac and Apple products, many have opted for Windows and Android for economic reasons.

I know this stat is 2 years old but consider this:

iOS sales 2018: 217.72 million

Android sales 2018: 1.56 billion!

Thanks for the consideration.

• 4 months later...

I think Affinity would have a good market for this. The only real competitor on the Play store currently is Infinite Designer, which is not as full featured as Affinity Designer (yeah the names are super close :P).

My workflow is primarily on my Windows desktop so this is not a prevalent issue, but I have been wanting to purchase a tablet to sketch and design on the go. Since my phone is Android, and my PC is Windows, I wanted to pursue an Android tablet, preferably the new S7 plus because of its top of the line hardware (it now supports Clip Studio, and Android plays better with Windows than iOS does). The issue comes down to the lack of professional design software/apps, especially in vector art.

My hope is that Samsung will specifically reach out to Affinity, like they did Clip Studio, and work with them to bring the Affinity suite to at least Samsung products. If that is successful maybe development could proceed to other android devices.

I could be wrong but the Android market is far more fragmented and I wonder if that would lead to issues support wise.

On 6/14/2020 at 11:38 AM, JI--CR said:

I agree, I think an Android version-especially of Affinity Photo, if not the whole suite--would be fabulous. It's a shame that you only offer software for Apple IOS when Andoid is considerably more popular worldwide. Although the design industry loves Mac and Apple products, many have opted for Windows and Android for economic reasons.

I know this stat is 2 years old but consider this:

iOS sales 2018: 217.72 million

Android sales 2018: 1.56 billion!

Thanks for the consideration.

Think your numbers are way off base here. You are comparing phones, I would gather most people using Photo and Designer are using it on iPads.

Number of iPad's sold in 2018 was 46.9 million according to google

For Android I could not come up with a definitive number, but take one of the big players Samsung, they only sold 7 million tablets in that same year and that was in decline from previous years. Apple has a great eco system and it is relatively safe to upgrade the OS and you are never restricted by a carrier or hardware provider from upgrading (so long as it is still supported by Apple). Android is a different beast and as I said before much more fragmented where I would think the vast majority of Apple products are running the latest versions of their OS. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hallo, 

I think the reason that affinity has not been ported to Android is compatibility. We make mobile games fo a living and it’s always very complicated dealing with numerous Android devices vs iOS devices which are pretty much the same and very predictable. If a bug appears on the iPad version you only need to worry about the Apple iPad but when something goes wrong on Android you have to figure out the brand, the make, everything DDDD:

I’m currently using the Windows and iPad versions. I still hope this comes out for Android, it’s such an amazing app.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 4:09 PM, wonderings said:

I could be wrong but the Android market is far more fragmented and I wonder if that would lead to issues support wise.

Think your numbers are way off base here. You are comparing phones, I would gather most people using Photo and Designer are using it on iPads.

For Android I could not come up with a definitive number, but take one of the big players Samsung, they only sold 7 million tablets in that same year and that was in decline from previous years. Apple has a great eco system and it is relatively safe to upgrade the OS and you are never restricted by a carrier or hardware provider from upgrading (so long as it is still supported by Apple). Android is a different beast and as I said before much more fragmented where I would think the vast majority of Apple products are running the latest versions of their OS. 

Your "Android is fragmented" is an old phrase from 5+ years ago. The Android market for several years has been a lot more consolidated and is a larger revenue generator than iOS devices. Google's ecosystem is better than Apple, that's why Apple comes pre-loaded with Google ecosystem products. Upgrading Android is very safe too, can be obtained without carrier lock in. Because Android services a LOT more people than iOS, it appeals to low and high end devices, unlike Apple. The high-end devices that have no carrier lock in have OS updates directly from Google.

It seems you're opinions are several years out of date and come with a large dose of bias. 

On 12/6/2020 at 7:24 PM, aszereth said:

Hallo, 

I think the reason that affinity has not been ported to Android is compatibility. We make mobile games fo a living and it’s always very complicated dealing with numerous Android devices vs iOS devices which are pretty much the same and very predictable. If a bug appears on the iPad version you only need to worry about the Apple iPad but when something goes wrong on Android you have to figure out the brand, the make, everything DDDD:

I’m currently using the Windows and iPad versions. I still hope this comes out for Android, it’s such an amazing app.

I'm a professional mobile games developer and I never have this issue with different Android devices going back 4/5 years at least. The only time you should have that problem is if you are targeting old low budget phones that Apple never produces products for anyway. This is mostly an inaccurate old cliché that is quite a few years out of date. 

2 hours ago, ziplock9000 said:

Apple comes pre-loaded with Google ecosystem products

It does? Off the top of my head, the only Google anything preloaded on iOS that I can think of is that Google is the default search engine choice (and Google pays Apple the big bucks to keep it that way), and that is not really just a setting rather than a product preloaded. I may be forgetting something, but I really can't think of any Google product that is included by default in iOS.

Before iOS 6 (released 8 years ago), they did come preloaded with a YouTube app and a Maps app that used Google Maps. The YouTube app is long gone, and Maps has been powered by Apple's own system.

On 10/20/2020 at 11:09 AM, wonderings said:

Ummm...you are only quoting ONE manufacturer for Android...there are DOZENS. 

On 12/30/2020 at 7:23 AM, ziplock9000 said:

Your "Android is fragmented" is an old phrase from 5+ years ago. The Android market for several years has been a lot more consolidated and is a larger revenue generator than iOS devices. Google's ecosystem is better than Apple, that's why Apple comes pre-loaded with Google ecosystem products. Upgrading Android is very safe too, can be obtained without carrier lock in. Because Android services a LOT more people than iOS, it appeals to low and high end devices, unlike Apple. The high-end devices that have no carrier lock in have OS updates directly from Google.

It seems you're opinions are several years out of date and come with a large dose of bias. 

I could be wrong, as I do to gather the statistics myself but according to one website which I will link it does not look all that consolidated. 

https://www.browserstack.com/guide/what-is-android-fragmentation

What google stuff is preloaded with Apple products? Yes they can use it but I did not have any Google apps preloaded on my iPad Pro, iPhone 11, iMac's, MacBook Pro's, etc. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 7.31.52 AM.png

13 hours ago, wonderings said:

Yes, but Samsung is the biggest and at 7 million it is small and gets only smaller with the wide range of Android tablets out there that have horrible specs. 

Yes and Samsung also have flagship models that are better than any iOS devices depending on release cycles as do other premium Android devices. Greater in number *and* revenue generated from the platforms. This not even considering the mid and lower end devices that still generate revenue from customers.

13 hours ago, wonderings said:

I could be wrong, as I do to gather the statistics myself but according to one website which I will link it does not look all that consolidated. 

https://www.browserstack.com/guide/what-is-android-fragmentation

What google stuff is preloaded with Apple products? Yes they can use it but I did not have any Google apps preloaded on my iPad Pro, iPhone 11, iMac's, MacBook Pro's, etc. 

In the real world it's a bit more complicated than just saying "Oh that's a long list of values > 0". It is consolidated if you look at the actual percentage numbers that are not microscopic and how development between the last few versions of Android has been streamlined for quite a few years now.  After all, that's the whole point of the message. 
As a developer I can have my software run on at least the last 6 years of Android with no changes. A userbase several times larger than iOS. That to me is consolidated. 
In fact, I have to jump through more hoops to get my software on an iOS device because of the way Apple likes to control everything like SDKs.
For years Google apps have been pre-installed on Apple devices because large parts of the ecosystem didn't exist or was just poor. Apple has tried to fight back, but only has inferior products like Maps, Browser etc.
One of your iOS using colleagues mentioned some others that still are installed. God forbid you're using Apple Maps on your iPhone, you'll end up driving into a lake!!!

12 hours ago, ziplock9000 said:

For years Google apps have been pre-installed on Apple devices because large parts of the ecosystem didn't exist or was just poor. Apple has tried to fight back, but only has inferior products like Maps, Browser etc.
One of your iOS using colleagues mentioned some others that still are installed. God forbid you're using Apple Maps on your iPhone, you'll end up driving into a lake!!!

I'm not sure where we're going with talking about this Google stuff on iOS. The original comment pertained to Google software preinstalled by Apple on iOS, to which the question was raised, Which software? As far as I can tell, there has been no Google software preinstalled by Apple for years. Yes, YouTube and Maps apps used to be included (even those were developed by Apple), but now for many years there has been no YouTube app installed by default, and the Maps app switched over Apple's own backend with iOS 6. Of course, its early weaknesses are infamous, but I have been using Maps (by Apple) exclusively for several years now, and I am very pleased with it. We each can have our own preferences as to which apps we like better, and every app has room for improvement, but I don't see how your disparaging Apple Maps helps contribute to our Affinity-focused discussion.

And you can hate on the browser, but the Chrome-Safari relationship has been a give and take. Apple started WebKit ultimately to break Microsoft's Internet Explorer dominance that existed at the time, and as their goal was not their own browser dominance, they released it as open source, and other browsers including Google Chrome made use of it to power their browsers (in Google's case, until they forked it and renamed their version Blink).  Back in the day when the Maps app on iOS was using Google, the Chrome app on Android was powered by WebKit by Apple.  In the end, Apple achieved their goal: the WebKit framework and its Google derivative Blink now powers most browsers, the IE dominance has been broken, and the web-developer world is better for it.

(WebKit itself was a fork of KHTML, so we could go in circles about who is indebted to whom, but it seems to me that we should just recognized that advances in development are a mutual affair, both in origins and resulting benefits, and leave it at that. I think both Apple and Google together have made the web world a better place. I also think each of them has made the world worse in other respects, but that is a different discussion.)

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 8:09 AM, wonderings said:

Everything I looked at shows Android tablets selling at least 2:1 over Apple tablets, with many years the ratio being far more in Android's favor.  A lot of folks have better things to pay for than a logo, planned obsolescence, an obstructive user experience vis a vis repairs and upgrades, and a 1000% markup.

It would be natural for a company delivering excellent value in graphics software, in direct competition with another company that over-charges for a logo and a restrictive user experience to take advantage of that larger market. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/273268/worldwide-tablet-sales-by-operating-system-since-2nd-quarter-2010/

There are many of us who work on Android devices that would gladly buy a license for Affinity products on the Play store.
I personally can't stand apple products. 
There are also many apps that are designed for specific android tablets/phones and are not supported on others. 
The app could be supported on like the higher end Samsung tablets and none of the knockoff or cheap ones that wouldn't run an app like a vector or photo program anyways.
Then, just like the iPad there is only a need to support a few tablets.
It's pretty simple.
I'm not a full time graphic artist but I do quite a bit of it. It would be nice to have a really good option when I have free time at work, I could work on some stuff on my tablet.

Right now I use Krita. It's ok, but not Affinity. 

I won't buy or support Apple stuff for a couple of reasons, but it sucks that only iPad has the app right now.

There are many of us who work on Android devices that would gladly buy a license for Affinity products on the Play store.
There are also many apps that are designed for specific android tablets/phones and are not supported on others. 
The app could be supported on like the higher end Samsung tablets and none of the knockoff or cheap ones that wouldn't run an app like a vector or photo program anyways.
It's pretty simple.
I'm not a full time graphic artist but I do quite a bit of it. It would be nice to have a really good option when I have free time at work, I could work on some stuff on my tablet.

I won't buy or support Apple stuff for a couple of reasons, but it sucks that only iPad has the app right now.

27 minutes ago, Koreanman01 said:

It's pretty simple.

It's pretty simple.

I won't buy Apple because it does not work with my work (The other, non-creative work).
I don't have a tablet, but I'd definitely get Samsung's new high-end tablet if Affinity were supported. 

Photographer * Design Trainee * Linux nerd

Instagram - Youtube - Website

Affinity is sill not for android ;o( 
I bought 2x ClipStudio Paint ES licenses for a computer and 1 license for an Android tablet. It is more focused on creative painting and comics, it also supports animations similar to TV Paint. Vectors work differently from Affinity (less exactly)  more artistically and creatively. 3D references are great!
The ClipStuio paint application for iPod and Android works and looks the same, on Android it is about 2GB more RAM and it is known in more layers. But SuperAmoled requires specific settings for painting. I'm very satisfied

In a year or two, I'll come back to see if Affinity Designer for android was released. ; /

Mak

On 10/20/2020 at 4:09 PM, wonderings said:

Indeed, not only do you get just 4 years of security updates from Google itself for any particular version of Android, the problem is compounded by individual Android phone and tablet manufacturers insisting on customised (others might use the term bastardised) versions of Android and these manufacturers often support their products for even less time with updates than does Google.

Therefore, there is an almighty hot mess of multiple Android versions and customisations around that can create an even more difficult situation for app developers, so much so that I think that Android versions of Serif Affinity products are even less likely to happen than Linux versions which itself is very slim to zero.

Under those circumstances, the best thing to do is look for equivalent Google Play apps to the Serif Affinity iOS apps that have good ratings and try them out.

1 hour ago, Snapseed said:

Indeed, not only do you get just 4 years of security updates from Google itself for any particular version of Android, the problem is compounded by individual Android phone and tablet manufacturers insisting on customised (others might use the term bastardised) versions of Android and these manufacturers often support their products for even less time with updates than does Google.

Therefore, there is an almighty hot mess of multiple Android versions and customisations around that can create an even more difficult situation for app developers, so much so that I think that Android versions of Serif Affinity products are even less likely to happen than Linux versions which itself is very slim to zero.

Under those circumstances, the best thing to do is look for equivalent Google Play apps to the Serif Affinity iOS apps that have good ratings and try them out.

Or as I mentioned above, only support Samsung devices (for example), as Adobe is doing.

Photographer * Design Trainee * Linux nerd

Instagram - Youtube - Website

2 hours ago, Totte said:

Or as I mentioned above, only support Samsung devices (for example), as Adobe is doing.

That policy approach is fine as far as it goes but Samsung Corporation are still villains for abandoning so many phones and tablets and leaving them without more modern Android versions even when the devices concerned can readily accept those updates.