You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

50 minutes ago, Amnesiac said:

And here's the nub; what is 'a substantial number' for a one-off payment app? Developing for a new platform isn't easy it's not a simple matter

Aw, come on... This can't be the point! Subscription plans for software/apps are a rather new kind of annoyance; before that, almost every piece of software was sold on a one-time payment base and this has been working fine for decades – without ruining the respective software companies. And there's still some who do. 

I – for myself – have meanwhile found an acceptable alternative for my Samsung tablet: PhotoPad from NCH software. Okay, it's far from being as great as Affinity Photo would be, but it's subscription-free, has a traditional user interface (rather than a smartphone-centric GUI), allows local corrections and even offers working with layers. And I'm confident that the little it leaves to desire will be addressed in the near future. So in the meantime, I can do without Affinity Photo; I still hope Serif might some day change their minds, but if they don't, I've got something to work with which suits my basic needs. Amen.

2 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Aw, come on... This can't be the point!

Yup it's the point - They're a business. Go cost it up yourself, then look into the market share and what % of the addressable market they might command and then tell me you'd invest your cash in it. I've done this kind of thing for a living in the past & the numbers can be scary.

I'd take as evidence that it's not a guaranteed money maker by the very limited choice of such applications on the Android platform. If it were worth doing there would be a much bigger choice of drawing package on Android tablets; the fact that there isn't would say to me that most people who've done their sums have come to a similar conclusion as Serif.

Now market conditions do change... so there's always hope.

On 12/15/2022 at 5:03 PM, pixelstuff said:

Or look at all the Android apps that do exist like Audio Evolution or LumaFusion and assume they obviously wasted their time by releasing an app on a platform such as Android.

Neither of which is a photo editing app, neither of which as far as I am aware has a desktop presence. I am not sure of the point you're trying to make. I don't know the target markets or tooling either vendors (or Serif) have which might make it more of a sensible business decision for one or the other and how much legacy code they've had to port.

All of this is my point. It might look easy to do cross platform software development (in my experience not, and my very limited and ancient experience with mobile devices even less so), and yes there are more and more toolsets to help it get done but without knowing the ins and outs of it then the assumption that seems to be being made that (a) it's easy & therefore (b) Serif must have some ulterior motive not to do it just doesn't hold water for me.

I think that if it were low hanging fruit they'd have plucked it by now.

As I've repeatedly pointed out I'd LOVE an Android tablet version of Affinity Photo.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2023 at 7:38 AM, DSGNDM said:

Affinity might learn from Sketch where the "only Apple" roads takes sometimes.

Ummm... it is available on Windows... hows that "only Apple"??

If there are issues with the V2 software (I've only noticed one minor bug) then how is developing for a whole new platform going to help that?

I said that because the problems here are from Windows platform... And there is a Designer version for iPad but not for MiPad 5 (android) for example.
Both examples make me think that maybe the devs are really focused on Apple, more than the rest (Windows & Android)

That's why I had written the sentence that you were referring to.

(Warning: I have not read the thread, just the initial premise) I don't think that a port to Android would be easily satisfactory. Android's API changes quite frequently. It's also unfair to compare Android numbers against the iPad market which uses a different OS (and for good reason).

I've bought Android tablets with "powerful" hardware in the past and I've come to see they became a bad investment in short order because of the fact they are out of date too much quicker than their price tag warrants. I just tossed several into the bin because even though the hardware is fine. The software support is garbage because the API versions of most modern apps are too high so they can't be installed. Even some basic social media won't run on them anymore and what it will download and support often runs horribly. Those tablets that were once snappy on date of purchase then become ridiculously tedious to use even with a device reset, just because of the way code is supported on Android. Doesn't matter if I update to a higher OS, or whether I bought double the storage to accommodate the additional bloat. It's just down to the way Android recycles (or doesn't) old code and encourages users to constantly upgrade. This is out of sync with Serif's cost-conscious crowd.

Android has many more users, sure, but each of those users are on a different API version, often much older. This is also counting both phones and tablets. The API changes between versions is often fine for phones as most of the apps developed at that scope port well. If you're a power user looking at purchasing a tablet, however, your options were limited at time of purchase and inevitably become increasingly limited over time. It's not a great experience. Open source solutions often work better in this scenario, hence the prevalence of "rooting" and non-official software environments. (Which Serif can't reasonably support either)

Supporting a number of devices across the spectrum is likely tedious from the point of development by time they release, as that API version will already be quite old. So on top of asking Serif to support multiple API versions (down to whatever version they chose), it's also asking Serif to develop for both UI and stability for phones and tablets and different kernels. That's quite different than just simply porting over UI & code from the iPad. iPad at the hardware level is also much more homogeneous.

We already can see in current development they are attempting to streamline the experience as much as possible between all platforms to keep their ecosystem consistent, in keeping with the vision of "Affinity". Keeping this streamlined with an Android port would be tedious beyond measure. Specifically because Android is meant be run across a spectrum of hardware, there's no easy way to say "Use these recommended hardware specifications" to guarantee the "preferred" experience, because so much of Android is meant to run on even budget devices and their hardware is quite fragmented. As soon as Serif raises the minimum standard API to keep development time within reason, which will likely be more frequent than not, prior support will always be dropped anyway which would invite additional complaints. This means also losing reach. Even if keeping their support window on the narrow end, the amount of testing required to adequately service users this way is possibly out of reach.

And it's not even touching on the economics. So imho, if it happens, it'll be when Affinity has matured considerably and they have the ability to support. Or Google makes Android a better value proposition for power users with tablets to warrant developers flocking to support that hardware.

TLDR: There's a reason Android sees so few power apps for their tablets. Can you imagine grandma trying to edit a cat photo clogging up Affinity support because she's trying to do too much on her potato tablet with a small form factor. How do you tell her which system setting to check when Android settings menu changes faster than a person's underwear? How do you know which she should check when every device configuration is different? How do you service that user properly when the solution is an OS update which that device will never receive? (Search "AMD GPU drivers") That's a big ask of Serif to provide that level of care. A smaller developer who can focus solely on the nuances of Android development and device variability is a better bet. Or, a company like Adobe who can afford to throw money at Android like literal bird seed are more likely to see the benefits. Heck, even Outlook for Android is buggy the last I used it. So I dropped it and searched for a "native" app. Android doesn't cater well to the tablet crowd and is a "master of none" OS, in my opinion. Why buy a $600-1000 device that still manages to run like a potato over a short span of time only for the experience to be completely degraded within the span of a few years? And outright unusable soon after that.

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

5 hours ago, DSGNDM said:

I said that because the problems here are from Windows platform... And there is a Designer version for iPad but not for MiPad 5 (android) for example.
Both examples make me think that maybe the devs are really focused on Apple, more than the rest (Windows & Android)

That's why I had written the sentence that you were referring to.

OK, I had a look at the Mac and Windows bug tracking fora and they look much of a muchness to me. If there are some definitive relative bug tracking stats somewhere happy to be pointed to them.

I use Affinity on Mac and Windows and don't notice any differences really other than those of the underlying environment.

Serif of course were a Windows shop long before they did any Mac software so I don't think the assertion that they are Apple focused is necessarily true (unless of course they are making a lot more money from that user-base, in which case who can blame them?)

I agree with a lot of what you say.

But to be fair Serif don't support iphones only ipads so the comparison would have to be with android tablets.

I do have a 2014 Samsung tablet which sits on my kitchen counter running the apps for all the services I subscribe to. I have an S3 and S7, the latter seems to get updates frequently, but they really don't seem to do much to improve anything. A lot if not all the apps I use on my tablets work across the 3 devices, but, like you I see no value in an android tablet any more. I was never able to replace my laptop with one and the pen API is either so hard to use or such a small market share that there are no good pen interface apps. My 2004 WindowsCE phone had better handwriting recognition and as good drawing apps!

The problem with Android is having made it a success by making it open source Google are bringing back into being a proprietary OS by adding all the value into Google only libraries so anytime anything new and interesting is added the library now is in a Google app not an Android one. Also for Google you the person paying for that device are NOT their customer (you ARE the customer of Samsung etc) but you're the data mine that Google selling to ITS customers so changes that are better for their customers are going to get added in asap regardless of the ecosystem for end-users.

• 4 months later...

With Lumafusion developing for Android, mostly due to the quality of Samsung tablets, I wonder if the market is changing a little? My iPad is almost redundant now compared to my Samsung tablets - the screen and S-Pen combination just works better for me.

• 2 months later...

I'm a user of Clip Studio Paint, and they also develop for Android (Samsung) and iPhone/iPad. Their one-time purchase fee is still available on PC but they switched to subscription for mobile devices (which I assume pays the bills of the mobile development team at no risk for the software publisher, if the users fell to a very low level, they could just drop the support for the app, but that hasn't been happening).

I assume they develop only for Samsung because at the moment, they offer longer support for their phones and tablets that even Google does with their Pixel devices. They're also gotten much better than before, and their OS is generally very stable (Clip Studio works great in my Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra, even with high res images and so on).

• 3 months later...

Hopefully Affinity will make an android push in 2024. I want to be off of the Adobe Suite by the end of the year as it is not really getting better and what I am sering from Affinity they seem to be really improving leaps and bonds but as I just left most of the Apple ecosystem behind me I am not eager to return. Honestly Apple is way too pricey for what it is.

Affinity seems like the exact opposite of that. if fragmentation is an issue. Start with stylus-products like the Samsung (tab) S-series. That will make lofe quite a bit easier.

On 3/6/2023 at 9:14 PM, Amnesiac said:

But to be fair Serif don't support iphones only ipads so the comparison would have to be with android tablets.

You are wrong. Both the iPhone and the iPad use IOS as their operating system. Publisher, Photo and Designer would make little sense on an iPhone. And as @debraspicher already pointed out, developing for Android tablets is financially a bottomless pit for a small company like Serif. When I look at the Photoshop Express version for Android, the range of functions is not significantly greater than that of the camera application from Google, which is installed by default. Why should Serif do more?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

1 hour ago, Komatös said:

You are wrong. Both the iPhone and the iPad use IOS as their operating system. Publisher, Photo and Designer would make little sense on an iPhone. And as @debraspicher already pointed out, developing for Android tablets is financially a bottomless pit for a small company like Serif. When I look at the Photoshop Express version for Android, the range of functions is not significantly greater than that of the camera application from Google, which is installed by default. Why should Serif do more?

Just some comments on the two points I have marked as bold.

Lumatouch saw the opportunity to develop Lumafusion for Android tablets, starting off first with Samsung. They are a very small company but there must be a reason why they sought to do so.

The poor functionality of the likes of Photoshop Express is exactly why we need a more professional product in this space as there is nothing remotely close to the Affinity suite on Android from what I have seen.

25 minutes ago, donka said:

Lumatouch saw the opportunity to develop Lumafusion for Android tablets, starting off first with Samsung.

As I pointed out, Clip Studio Paint also has a version for Samsung Android devices. I guess Samsung has a less fragmented ecosystem, and they're by far the biggest Android maker.

3 hours ago, itContinues said:

Start with stylus-products like the Samsung (tab) S-series. That will make lofe quite a bit easier.

@OriolFM that's precisely why I said, start at the most relevant producer. You might even get money from Samsung to do it, as it would make their hardware even more valuable.

16 minutes ago, itContinues said:

@OriolFM that's precisely why I said, start at the most relevant producer. You might even get money from Samsung to do it, as it would make their hardware even more valuable.

Just conjecture here but I would suspect Samsung would have incentivised Lumatouch to realise first on the Galaxy store which may have helped their business case.

As has been noted here already Serif have invested in a code base that delivers on Windows and Apple. 

They would need to support a 3rd code base to offer feature parity on Android. For whatever reason it's clearly not cost effective for them to do as a business. 

I wish they would too but  it seems that Android tablets are too much of a niche market for them to take a punt on. 

33 minutes ago, Amnesiac said:

As has been noted here already Serif have invested in a code base that delivers on Windows and Apple. 

They would need to support a 3rd code base to offer feature parity on Android. For whatever reason it's clearly not cost effective for them to do as a business. 

I wish they would too but  it seems that Android tablets are too much of a niche market for them to take a punt on. 

The problem on the Android platform is PIRECY - so, Affinity Suite on Android will never ever happen…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

I'm not sure that piracy is more prevalent on Android than other platforms, nor that the circumventions on other platforms don't apply to Android also. I would be interested in any stats you have to back that assertion up. 

LOL, if Piracy is an argument, no software company should be able to exist.

You can trivially pirate Affinity on MacOS, Windows, and iPadOS (admittedly, that last one is quite a bit harder). So, if I don't want to pay for Affinity, I won't do the same for anyone who knows how to pirate stuff.

Now, on to another secret. Do you know why Adobe Suite has become the most used creativity suite? Up until Adobe Photoshop CS6, Photoshop was trivial to pirate. It schooled millions of users on pirated software. Then, it was time to crack down, and Adobe did; pirated software users were locked into the workflow, and Adobe grew. Piracy isn't bad if you give people who know how to do it a good and affordable way to get out of it...

Back to the main topic... Most people don't know how to sideload cracked APKs on their Android phones. It's even a more minor problem than on MacOS because it is harder to do so. The user base, however, is unimaginably larger. These are old statistics, but the trend for Android market share is up globally.

December 2022
Global Android: 72.37%
Global iOS: 26.98%
US Android: 43.75%
US iOS: 55.85%

Android tablets might be different. But if you want to make creative software available in emerging markets, make sure people know you prefer your software. It needs to be open to them. And Adobe isn't lifting a finger for the Android crowd. Hopefully, Serif will, but that is up to them, honestly.

Edited by itContinues

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2024 at 8:42 AM, itContinues said:

Now, on to another secret. Do you know why Adobe Suite has become the most used creativity suite? Up until Adobe Photoshop CS6, Photoshop was trivial to pirate. It schooled millions of users on pirated software. Then, it was time to crack down, and Adobe did; pirated software users were locked into the workflow, and Adobe grew. Piracy isn't bad if you give people who know how to do it a good and affordable way to get out of it...

It's a lovely idea but I don't think it washes. Adobe was adopted by professionals who did pay the higher licence fee and didn't pirate thus allowing Adobe to invest further in features that professionals wanted. Yes it was easier to pirate (and I'm sure it's possible to pirate Adobe now) but making it the professional tool of choice was what they were interested in and removing any competition in that space. Being only on the Mac platform in the late 80s (getting acquired by Adobe in 1990) when Mac was the creative community platform of choice helped that too. The Windows version arrived in '92. There are tools from even higher end markets like the medium format cameras that did similar; ie go for a smaller high margin market. The fact that we're talking a Photoshop and not Lightroom replacement in these threads indicates the Adobe professional focus and why they were successful I think.

I'd also note that Adobe tried to reduce piracy throughout the lifetime of their products. I think they just won the arms race. I might concede that they went subscription when they thought they'd got piracy beat but not the argument that they deliberately allowed it. Professionals will pay for the tools of their trade as I've mentioned before if you have a business need then you'll go buy an IOS tablet if you have a need for a tablet based business tool or the Windows version on a Surface or similar.

As to the numbers of each platform, IOS vs Android I think the addressable market is more important than the total numbers when deciding if/when to invest. I don't think Affinity think the addressable Android market is there yet, and if they think to address the market we won't know until they decide to release the product (though I'm sure if you want to stalk job openings you might be able to see if they start hiring Android devs).