You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does anyone else use Filter Forge? It's compatible with Affinity Photo which I am really pleased about :) I treated myself to Filter Forge 9, they have a huge discount sale right now, so glad I did because it's making my experience of working with AP even better 👌

I don't use Mac anyway lol.
I'm blown away by the sheer amount of filters to choose from and how amazingly brilliant they have been created....just WOW.!! I just got the Standard Edition, should have been $249, cost me  $43 - BARGAIN

Er! actually @ashf it does work on Mac I use it on both of my Macs.

@AITCH As much as it seems like a good deal which it actually is, they always have that discount but it’s still good value.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

👍 Top banana ashf, I wouldn’t be without filter forge now, I’ve even ventured into creating my own filters, you can lose hours do that lol!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

47 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

@AITCH As much as it seems like a good deal which it actually is, they always have that discount but it’s still good value.

Thanks for the feedback mate, I just saw the discount is now -80%. I got it at -85%, does the offer always fluctuate?

7 hours ago, AITCH said:

Thanks for the feedback mate, I just saw the discount is now -80%. I got it at -85%, does the offer always fluctuate?

Not really for the most part it says at -80% so being -85% means you got a 5% discount, the analogy would be RRP over Actual selling price, you see mall shops advertising 70% off etc I think it’s a similar thing. This is just my opinion and observation.

8 hours ago, ashf said:

So this information is outdated...
https://filterforge.com/download/hosts.html

Yes re. Mac, I suspect/assume they don’t add Affinity Photo to the Mac list because they cannot guarantee consistent functionality across Mac OS X releases like Mojave and Catalina but I have no experience of those OS X versions and obviously with Affinity Photo versions on those systems. Lets not forget, this plugin was written for Photoshop, so Adobe have a big advantage.

I’m not a programmer so I don’t understand the way you can adapt a non adobe app to work with adobe designed plugins.

Filterforge 8 was a bit glitchy with 1.7.3 but there have been improvements in plugin support in Affinity Photo and this can be seen with the NIK Collection as well.

All I can say is from 1.8.x on OS X High Sierra 10.13.6 (latest update) Filterforge 9 works consistently with Affinity Photo so something is being done right.

7 hours ago, firstdefence said:

All I can say is from 1.8.x on OS X High Sierra 10.13.6 (latest update) Filterforge 9 works consistently with Affinity Photo so something is being done right.

Same for Mojave 10.14.6.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 weeks later...

I still can't figure out how to make maybe lettering look like wood or stone by way of using Filter Forge's choice of amazing textures. I was thinking I'd type out my text in Affinity Photo, rasterize it, open it up in Filter Forge and then go to the Textures section and make my text look like stone or whatever I download. But all I get is a picture coming up of the texture........anybody help me out on this aspect? All help appreciated :) 

I've attached links to two .afstyles files for you. The first is a set of wood styles created by user @v_kyr and the second is a file called Dream Organics Styles. Instead of messing with Filter Forge (which I agree is wonderful for artistic effects) you might find what you want here. Import the files through the Styles panel, type your text in Affinity Photo, then just click on the style. The text remains editable, and the style can be changed by clicking on a different one.

Knock on Wood: 

Dream Organics Styles: https://dscape-llc.com/affinity

Samples:

1172733859_stylesfortext.jpg.a3b9c70ad78049a02c77d7c7da9158d2.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

1. Type text
  2. CMD click on Text layer icon to create a selection of the text
  3. Create a pixel layer from layer panel
  4. Go to Filters > Plugins > Filter Forge > Filter Forge 9...
  5. Select a rock effect, I used Wet Rock
  6. To have the bump maps etc On the filter forge window click File Export, once exported you can click Apply to apply the wet rock effect.
  7. You should now have a wet rock texture above the original text, you can apply a lighting live filter and load the bump map you exported earlier.

1787602085_ScreenShot2020-06-15at23_11_09.thumb.png.b67171dc9d097f3e12d0374060433717.png

You can get a bit crazy and apply a live filter displacement map and load the bump map in and hike it up high...

1786757594_ScreenShot2020-06-15at23_14_18.thumb.png.7f2b142c1d3cc609b61bfb816641381b.png

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

You can get a bit crazy and apply a live filter displacement map and load the bump map in and hike it up high...

It is very easy to spend hours playing with this & the endless variations FF9 offers for many of its filter effects. 😀

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

It is very easy to spend hours playing with this & the endless variations FF9 offers for many of its filter effects. 😀

Actually you lose days lol! especially if you think “Ooh! I’ll make my own filter” after that thought the world becomes a blur 🤣

13 hours ago, smadell said:

I've attached links to two .afstyles files for you. The first is a set of wood styles created by user @v_kyr and the second is a file called Dream Organics Styles. Instead of messing with Filter Forge (which I agree is wonderful for artistic effects) you might find what you want here. Import the files through the Styles panel, type your text in Affinity Photo, then just click on the style. The text remains editable, and the style can be changed by clicking on a different one.

Knock on Wood: 

Dream Organics Styles: https://dscape-llc.com/affinity

Samples:

1172733859_stylesfortext.jpg.a3b9c70ad78049a02c77d7c7da9158d2.jpg

Extremely kind of you, thank you.

12 hours ago, firstdefence said:
  1. Type text
  2. CMD click on Text layer icon to create a selection of the text
  3. Create a pixel layer from layer panel
  4. Go to Filters > Plugins > Filter Forge > Filter Forge 9...
  5. Select a rock effect, I used Wet Rock
  6. To have the bump maps etc On the filter forge window click File Export, once exported you can click Apply to apply the wet rock effect.
  7. You should now have a wet rock texture above the original text, you can apply a lighting live filter and load the bump map you exported earlier.

1787602085_ScreenShot2020-06-15at23_11_09.thumb.png.b67171dc9d097f3e12d0374060433717.png

1786757594_ScreenShot2020-06-15at23_14_18.thumb.png.7f2b142c1d3cc609b61bfb816641381b.png

firstdefence I really feel stupid and I do appreciate your reply (thanks so much mate) but I'm still having problems with this....grrrrrrrr ha ha
I followed your instructions and still can't do it :(  What the heck am I doing wrong? I have attached a screenshot of what I'm still getting after the 4th attempt of following your instructions buddy.  Can you guide me on what I have to tick in the FX section, I'm completely at a loss (man do I feel stupid lol but this is new to me this side of Affinity Photo and Filter Forge) I don't Mac either, just a PC so will that be affecting results maybe?

504480295_Capture1.thumb.PNG.ac38ab8b4ad613ed64d71f10740a85e0.PNG

7 minutes ago, AITCH said:

I don't [have a] Mac either, just a PC

Step 2 is specific to Macs, since PCs don’t have a Cmd key. On a PC you need to Ctrl-click on the text layer icon in the Layers panel.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Step 2 is specific to Macs, since PCs don’t have a Cmd key. On a PC you need to Ctrl-click on the text layer icon in the Layers panel.

I just cannot for the life of me figure out where I'm going wrong Alfred :( It might be better if someone could film this and show how it's done and tell me what settings to have ticked etc lol......sorry for the inconvenience guys and I really do appreciate your help everyone 🙉🥴🙏

4 hours ago, AITCH said:

I sorted it out, God I'm slack at times ha ha (hands up there)

'create a selection of the text'..........I was totally missing this one!!! 

Firstdefence thankyou loads pal, top stuff!

🎉 Yay! welcome to the official Filterforge "I can do it” club 😀

You’re welcome.

I have a feeling the massive discounts are more or less fake, right?

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.