You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I hesitate to type this but I am so frustrated with Affinity.  I really want to learn and use but feel Affinity is feeding me a bunch of BS.  When I first purchased Affinity Photo in 2016 I was able to open a folder of images and Affinity provided a thumbnail image of the photos from that folder.  Obviously this is important so one can decide what they want to edit.  Now Affinity is telling me that it is a Microsoft problem.  Didn't seem to be a problem before but now its' Microsofts fault.  I work on a PC with Windows 10.  Other programs I use, LR, ON1 Photo RAW, Luminar, Darkroom, don't have a problem openining these images.  I would think if they can do why can't Affinity.  Anyway, I'm sure Affinity is worth learning and will be beneficial but it is hard for me to understand how their competition call all open these thumbnails on Windows 10 but they can't.  Is there a difference in the quality of the programmers?

Sorry.  Don't feel I was very clear.  When you open a folder in Affinity in does not show the image.  All is says is IMG_photo number. Have had many emails with Affinity and to their defense they responded to each.  However, just hard for to believe that can't do.  Does anyone know of a work around.

The File/Open dialog in Affinity Photo by default just shows a list of files in the folder using what Windows calls Details view.

If you right-click the pane containing the list of files then a context menu will pop up. Left-click on View to see a list of alternative displays that includes various sizes of icons (images) for your files. The File/Open dialog will remember the setting you choose for each folder. I do not see a way to change the default from Details view. Nor does changing the defaults in Windows File Manager affect the default Details display in APhoto's File/Open dialog.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Well it's always a matter of using just plain standard components, or specific own customized ones. Basically even standard GUI components, like for example a File Open dialog, can usually be enhanced to offer some additional custom functionality. There are a bunch of dev examples for Windows how such things can be accomplished.

This one here for example (PreviewPane from the MS PowerToys) is an add-on for the MS File Explorer, there are similar things for File open dialogs available.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2