You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ERASE FUSION vector layer + FX Gaussian Blur (cannot be seen)

Thank you for creating such an excellent application, it has changed my life! ... I would still like to make a suggestion that would save the lives of many old school airbrushers... one way of masking through layer fusion is to do it in an unfocused way like when you apply a liquid mask applied with an airbrush, this in order to give softness to the shapes that are underneath the mask... in affinity designer the layer that has been put on the ERASE fusion when you put the "Gaussian Blur" layer effect on it DISAPPEARS! why? i only managed to solve it by converting in pixels but if i need to make a change i must start again besides the MATT effect that leaves a grey or white colour on the transparency... it is possible to fix this, applying a FX Gaussian Blur to a Vector and using ERASE FUSION LAYER'S?
I explain in the images... it this a Vector LAYER (image 1)
ERASE FUSION vector layer 
 (image 2)
ERASE FUSION vector layer + FX Gaussian Blur (cannot be seen) (image 3)
ERASE FUSION pixel layer (normal vector + FX Gaussian Blur before transformation in pixel) (image 5)

Thank you so much for reading me and allowing me to communicate with you...

Best Regards
===================================

Raul Bedoya Ching.
Graphic and Web Designer | Illustrator
Design and Visual Development for:
Kids and Youth Oriented Businesses, 
Packaging, Games, and Clothes Decoration Design.
Digital Assets.

Telf.: +584127327332 
CV: bit.ly/cvRaulB
Miniportfolio: bit.ly/RBmega
social webs: @megabedoya

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

image4.jpg

image5.jpg

image1.jpg

failaffinity.afdesign

Hi and welcome to the Affinity forums.

There are several compositing bugs in the Affinity apps that have persisted for years. When an Erase mode object is clip-nested inside another object (an Artboard in your case), applying any FX to the Erase object will result in its fill and stroke disappearing with no erasing effect on underlying objects. If you move the Group above the Artboard in the layer stack, then the expected erase will happen because the blurred Erase object is now not clipped inside anything. But now, when the erase is happening, notice another old compositing bug which affects Passthrough mode Groups: the weird almost salmon colour where the blue is blended with the green.

Here is a file with three Artboards: workarounds.afdesign

Artboard1: the erase with blur FX is happening because the erasing object is not actually inside the Artboard object and so it is not clipped by anything, but the blending produces the incorrect weird colour.

Artboard2: same as Artboard1, except the blending of blue and green is corrected by giving Normal mode instead of Passthrough mode to the Group.

Artboard3: a live Gaussian Blur filter (from Affinity Photo) is blurring the erasing object and the blending produces the correct colour.

The first two are nonsense workarounds when designing with artboards, and the first gives a wrongly coloured result in any case. The third is viable, but only if the user has Affinity Photo for the live blur filter.

74040881_workaroundsscreenshot.png.16ccd5e30b6a2b82fc6d09c6c1bdc2e9.png

Wow! I'm so glad I got your help on this thing that I was so intrigued by... Thanks!!! this will help me a lot in some ideas that I have like creating lights in illustrations... here I will be also supporting if someone needs my contribution!!! a big hug! thanks again!

2 minutes ago, megabedoya said:

Wow! I'm so glad I got your help on this thing that I was so intrigued by... Thanks!!! this will help me a lot in some ideas that I have like creating lights in illustrations... here I will be also supporting if someone needs my contribution!!! a big hug! thanks again!

You're welcome!

For creating lights, experiment with 32 bits per channel RGB documents. There you are working with floating point high dynamic range values in a linear colour space where colour components can have an intensity many orders of magnitude greater than 1.0 (equivalent to 255 in an 8 bpc document) and blurring of lights can be made far more convincing than in a gamma encoded colour space that is bounded between black and white.