You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It would be very useful to be able to save also the different sources used in the Focus Merge function, to be able to make the often necessary corrections (halos, alignment errors, ..) in multiple work sessions because it may not be possible to complete the work at the same time.

This has been requested several times but so far it has not been implemented. One possible reason for that is it almost certainly would require a change in the native Affinity file format (to save a link to each source embedded in the native format file).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

This has been requested several times but so far it has not been implemented. One possible reason for that is it almost certainly would require a change in the native Affinity file format (to save a link to each source embedded in the native format file).

Maybe I'm missing your point because the Affinity file format already can contain linked or embedded images and documents.

15 minutes ago, anon2 said:

Maybe I'm missing your point because the Affinity file format already can contain linked or embedded images and documents.

True, but it is not clear if there is already any provision in the format to include links to files specifically designated as source files for focus merging such that they would automatically open & repopulate the Sources panel after the AP document file has been saved, closed, & then reopened.

Maybe this could be done only through changes to the AP app code but I cannot think of any practical way that could be done that did not also require something to be present in the file to distinguish the source file links from other links.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

20 minutes ago, R C-R said:

True, but it is not clear if there is already any provision in the format to include links to files specifically designated as source files for focus merging such that they would automatically open & repopulate the Sources panel after the AP document file has been saved, closed, & then reopened.

Maybe this could be done only through changes to the AP app code but I cannot think of any practical way that could be done that did not also require something to be present in the file to distinguish the source file links from other links.

I'd be astounded if the Affinity file format does not already have provision for storing ad hoc data to support future enhancements to app functionality, which would be sufficient to store your suggested designation of the use to be made of a linked or embedded image or document.

16 hours ago, R C-R said:

Apparently, it's a known bug which will be fixed soon.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

10 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Apparently, it's a known bug which will be fixed soon.

I will try to remain positive about it but considering that "soon" in developer-speak can mean anything from in the next few months to not for the next several years, & there are so many different things that need work, I would not be surprised if the Christmas & New Years holidays have come & gone long before we see any improvements to this feature. :/

Affinity Photo 

I'm a bit surprised to learn it's a bug, I don't ever recall it previously working and I've tested it as far back as APhoto 1.6

I would have thought it was more a feature/improvement request to development, rather than a bug fix

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

8 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I'm a bit surprised to learn it's a bug, I don't ever recall it previously working and I've tested it as far back as APhoto 1.6

I wonder if @Callum really meant that the developers consider this to be a bug or if that was just a quick, shorthand way to refer to something yet to be implemented?

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Perhaps the word bug was incorrect but we really don't have much more to say on this topic right now other than we aren't happy with this panel disappearing and its something on our radar to be changed in the future.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.