You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.NEF Unsupported file format

here the same, the file cannot open in Affinity-Photo.
When the file is converted to DNG format, Affinity opens the file without any problems.

Cheers

DNG.PNG

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

8 hours ago, Yves POUJOL said:

Hi,

Affinity Photo reads the message "the file type is not supported".

System Windows 10

Affinity photo : 1.8.3.641

File : see attached file

In the folder only few files are unreadeabled. All the file are read without problem with ViewNX.

Best Regards.

Yves POUJOL.

Capture d’écran (4).png

DSC_4762.NEF 12.84 MB · 3 downloads

I think Serif must investigate. Anything special about the file? Is it straight out of camera or did you change settings that View-NX saved back to it?

FastPictureViewer Professional hangs when trying to display the file. Never happened before.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

3 hours ago, Jowday said:

Anything special about the file? Is it straight out of camera or did you change settings that View-NX saved back to it?

There's a tag in the file that seems to indicate it has been saved by View-NX.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

There's a tag in the file that seems to indicate it has been saved by View-NX.

Alright I thought so. @Yves POUJOL

Maybe View-NX has a bug. Try updating it.

What I observe is that Good old Nikon Capture NX 2 doesn't get any image out of the file:

image.png.49808f28634125e69280a85ed77f6aa5.png

If I try to open it with Nikon Capture NX-D, the program crashes:

image.png.737af46a25cb3ee364bec1e4ecc67fd1.png

And finally that my beloved FastPictureViewer Professional hangs when trying to display the file. 

The NEF file format is an interesting one. It is not just for RAW data. Capture NX 2 saves layers and data to it so it can tripple in size when saved. Still other programs wont see those layers and data and will still be able to open the RAW part. 

This time though something interferes with that and the root cause looks like alterations from View NX.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

@Yves POUJOL

I can open your image in View NX-i (latest version) but interestingly it crashes when trying to preview images my Pictures folder. Not stable software they make, Nikon. But it does at least open and display it. 

But if I select "Open in ... " and select Nikon Capture NX-D (latest version) it crashes.

Further:

• Adobe Photoshop CC 2020 can open it
  • Capture One Pro 10 failed (as I expected)

I would personally not save from View NX-i until more is known about the root cause of all this digital misery. It is perhaps messing with your digital negatives. 

I don't think the issue stems from ViewNX-i. Indeed, i don't use this software as a viewer. I used it to check the file after unveilling the issue. So the file was saved by ViewNX-I. My workflow is mainly based on IDimager as a DAM and on XNview as viewer. Yesterday, i open the file with IDimager, and saved it after i have modified the Metadata. Afterwards, i opened the file with Affinity photo without any problem. I suspect instead XNview : as a matter of fact i noticed that sometimes this software advise me that the picture will be modified in RVB 8 bits when i open it. Until now, i didn't take care of it as i didn't save the file with XNview. To consolidate this hyothesis, i checked the files in the folder : the files i can't open are in RVB 8 Bits and the one i can open are in RVB 12 bits.