You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Batch Processing RAW files with macros

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm just testing Version 2 of Affinity Photo. It took me only two evenings to desperately search for a faster way of developing multiple similar RAW photos. And I haven't even started trying to process hundreds of images from time lapses yet ...

During the last years I have been developing photos with either Nikon software and or CameraRaw from Adobe Photoshop Elements(!) While the latter is lacking some adjustments it is really convenient in terms of developing multiple images at a time:

1. DnD multiple images into the software.
  2. The images appear in a sidebar.
  3. You can select one, multiple or all and apply settings to the selection. This gives you full flexibility to have consistent settings and at the same time some variance for settings where this is needed.
  4. Afterwards you select all images and process them in one step.

This is the way I wish AP would work as well.

Alternatively Nikon Capture NX-D as a concept that can also help, but is not as flexible: You can copy the settings from a raw file and paste them on any number of other raw files. The problem with this approach is that this will override all settings (brightness, contrast, WB, colors, denoising, etc.), so you have to be sure to first set and copy all those settings that must be equal before starting to adjusting any photos individually.

And in addition I found that the presets seem not to work as intended either. I created presets for all kinds of settings in Affinity Photo 2.0.0. When I now open a new RAW file, AP shows these (last used) presets as active, but they are not. The sliders/settings are at default position. Switch the preset to "Standard" and nothing happens. Switch back to the preset and only then the settings are applied. This defeats the purpose of having "quick" presets and makes RAW development with AP slower than intended. I will create a bug report for this.

2 minutes ago, matthiasbasler said:

I will create a bug report for this.

I'm pretty sure it's an unfixed bug carried over from V1, but good to report it again, anyway.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 11/14/2022 at 10:22 PM, matthiasbasler said:

When I now open a new RAW file, AP shows these (last used) presets as active, but they are not. The sliders/settings are at default position. Switch the preset to "Standard" and nothing happens. Switch back to the preset and only then the settings are applied.

This has been there for ages. If they are not capable of fixing such a basic UI bug, how can we expect them to add batch raw development capability? 

I'm currently considering buying the new version to support the developers, but it's a hard decision when batch development is an essential feature for me yet there are no signs of it coming in the foreseeable future... 😞

• 3 weeks later...

i am on Affinity Photo-2 💖

To Day shooting 360 2:1 images with one of the many new 360 one shot cameras

shooting 11968x5984  72 Megapixel .dng Raw files

i Love Affinity Photo but Sadly i have to use my old Adobe Bridge and Open in Camera Raw to get a proper workflow.

https://svendus.se/blog/?p=3627#.Y4mnjX3MLF0

camera raw.jpg

Edited by svendus
Lettering

svendus_googlemaps.png  trusted-photographer-64x64.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 11/13/2022 at 9:39 PM, matthiasbasler said:

I'm just testing Version 2 of Affinity Photo. It took me only two evenings to desperately search for a faster way of developing multiple similar RAW photos. And I haven't even started trying to process hundreds of images from time lapses yet ...

During the last years I have been developing photos with either Nikon software and or CameraRaw from Adobe Photoshop Elements(!) While the latter is lacking some adjustments it is really convenient in terms of developing multiple images at a time:

1. DnD multiple images into the software.
  2. The images appear in a sidebar.
  3. You can select one, multiple or all and apply settings to the selection. This gives you full flexibility to have consistent settings and at the same time some variance for settings where this is needed.
  4. Afterwards you select all images and process them in one step.

This is the way I wish AP would work as well.

Alternatively Nikon Capture NX-D as a concept that can also help, but is not as flexible: You can copy the settings from a raw file and paste them on any number of other raw files. The problem with this approach is that this will override all settings (brightness, contrast, WB, colors, denoising, etc.), so you have to be sure to first set and copy all those settings that must be equal before starting to adjusting any photos individually.

This actually works this way in AP 2. You can "File -> Place" multiple images as layers, then select all layers, develop one in RAW and all the others have same settings. Then export them using the export persona.

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, len96 said:

I too need the ability to run macros in Develop Persona

You can't do that, but in V2 you can record a macro which embeds the changes you've made in the Develop Persona. Then later you can run that macro from the Photo Persona or from File > New Batch Job. That gives much the same effect as being able to run them directly in the Develop Persona.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 months later...