You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Batch Processing RAW files with macros

Oh man. Please!
I'm quite aware some things are more difficult to develop (pun intended), but this is really something I am hoping to 'get' ASAP. 
I do a lot of timelapses and .... need batch DNG processing (possibly with Tone mapping macro after that)

On 6/16/2021 at 9:40 AM, Noo58 said:

or better still, the addition of an image editing and organising app such as LR to the suite of app

Welcome to the forums,

The DAM request started years ago... https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=DAM+site%3Aforum.affinity.serif.com&ia=web

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yesterday I spent 6 hours developing 150 RAW photo's. 

Well.... 5,5 hours. Spent half an hours to find the 'macro' function to develop the RAW files, to find out there isn't such a function... YET, I hope.

Please guys, this is too obvious not to add this feature. So I'm sure it is not 'if', but 'when' Serif implements this.

If it isn't possible to batch process raw development, is it possible to save the development values of one image as a LUT in 64x64 .cube format and apply that externally in other programs?

I've moved from Adobe to Capture One Pro and Raw Therapee for batch processing raw files.  But a LUT that I could apply in my video editor would be even better.  Not sure that is actually possible, even DaVinci Resolve won't do that. So much depends on the specific debayer algorithms used by different programs.

Raw Therapee is free open source software. But it offers a huge selection of deBayer algorithms and experimental processing tools that is unique. Not easy to learn.

Edited by Cinerazz

11 hours ago, Joris Rens said:

Yesterday I spent 6 hours developing 150 RAW photo's. 

Well.... 5,5 hours. Spent half an hours to find the 'macro' function to develop the RAW files, to find out there isn't such a function... YET, I hope.

Please guys, this is too obvious not to add this feature. So I'm sure it is not 'if', but 'when' Serif implements this.

Imagine what processing 24fps CDNG raw motion files would be like when 150 frames is less than 6 seconds. DaVinci Resolve is the most efficient for motion raw files, but that comes with a trade off in deBayer processing quality.  I much prefer the superior algorithms in the stills processors and don't mind if it takes seconds per frame instead of frames per second to process for particular fine art film projects, but batch processing is a must. With Raw Therapee I usually load up relatively short shots but they can still run several thousand frames. I usually process one key frame for the look, set up overnight batch processing for the rest and walk away.

9 hours ago, Cinerazz said:

If it isn't possible to batch process raw development, is it possible to save the development values of one image as a LUT in 64x64 .cube format and apply that externally in other programs?

It's not possible in Affinity Photo. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, Cinerazz said:

I usually process one key frame for the look,

That is one way to allow use of macros:

1. Process the key frame through the Develop Persona, without making any adjustments. Just Open, and click Develop.
  2. Start recording a macro, and make all the needed adjustments in the Photo Persona. Stop recording, and save the macro in the Library.
  3. Run a Batch Job, and apply the macro to the remaining frames.

Hmmm. Just had a thought: you could also make a LUT (as you asked before) rather than a macro. For step 2, make the adjustments (without merging the adjustment layers), then Export a LUT. You would still need to record a macro to apply the LUT, but it would be a simpler macro.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To all who demand RAW batch processing.

I share your pain and appreciate if it would be available.

But this is very unrealistic, and even when available, would not help such much.

It takes 1-2 years before Affinity (libraw) is able to completely and correctly open RAW files of new-to-market cameras. Some advanced features as HEIC and compressed RAW, sensor-shift-raw etc. probably will never get supported any time soon.

The Develop Persona has many unfixed bugs.

Taking all this into account you simply take the camera vendor RAW App and go. Use Photo for all edit steps are initial RAW development.

If in a hurry, and quality does not matter much, create a stack from RAW and batch-export via Export Persona.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

For what it's worth, I agree with @NotMyFault on this. I tried to use AffinityPhoto for RAW processing, but in the end decided to stick with Olympus Workspace, as my cameras are all of that make.

I will use AffinityPhoto only for major post-development editing, but not for RAW development or any minor tweaks needed therein.

I am sure most (all?) makes of camera have their own software available for development.

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

6 hours ago, Ali said:

For what it's worth, I agree with @NotMyFault I am sure most (all?) makes of camera have their own software available for development.

I have a Canon Poweshot SX70 which emits CR3 raw files. Canon's own raw development program consistently crashes on my PC, whilst Affinity Photo opens them with no trouble.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

@John Rostron I think you misspelled Polaroid. (Just me showing my age)

4 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I have a Canon Powershot SX70

Never ever thought the world would run out of model numbers. My new hobby is anticipation. Looking forward to a Renault Model T and the inevitable Tesla Edsel

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

@John Rostron I think you misspelled Polaroid. (Just me showing my age)

Never ever thought the world would run out of model numbers. My new hobby is anticipation. Looking forward to a Renault Model T and the inevitable Tesla Edsel

It is the Canon Poweshot SX70. As for age, I'm 79 and I do remember Polaroids.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

3 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I'm 79 and I do remember Polaroids.

I remember the Laurence Olivier ad for the Polaroid SX-70, at the time famous actors did not do TV ads.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

To all who demand RAW batch processing.

I share your pain and appreciate if it would be available.

But this is very unrealistic, and even when available, would not help such much.

It takes 1-2 years before Affinity (libraw) is able to completely and correctly open RAW files of new-to-market cameras. Some advanced features as HEIC and compressed RAW, sensor-shift-raw etc. probably will never get supported any time soon.

The Develop Persona has many unfixed bugs.

Taking all this into account you simply take the camera vendor RAW App and go. Use Photo for all edit steps are initial RAW development.

If in a hurry, and quality does not matter much, create a stack from RAW and batch-export via Export Persona.

I use Davinci Resolve for processing 24fps CDNG raw frame sequences from my Digital Bolex, but the debayer algorithms are compromised for speed, so don't produce as nice a result as more sophisticated raw stills processors.  I also use RawTherapee (free) which supports batch processing of raw files and has an incredible range of options for different debayer algorithms, including interesting wavelet processing techniques that produce unique looks.  Some of my fellow Bolex users have used Affinity to produce really nice LUTS that import into our video editors.

• 3 months later...

I support this request. Batch RAW development is an essential tool in many scenarios. I, for instance, need it for timelapse photography. Developing hundreds of shots one by one is just not a viable option. 

On a technical note: I would prefer recipe-based approach as done by RawTherapee or Light Room, so that you can use external plugins/tools for parameter manipulation (e.g. LRTimelapse for exposure adaptation during time sequence).

I've just googled how to batch process in Develop Persona and discovered this page. I'm editing panoramics and really need a feature to be able to apply the same Basic/Details settings to a series of photos and save them as jpgs to then pick up in my pano software.

It's taking me way too much time to do this manually, I've got 90 images I need to make the same adjustments to which is killing my productivity, as this is my 4th time I thought I'd work out how to batch process them and save me some time. Seems I can't.

Please please add the ability to batch process in develop persona.

58 minutes ago, Mark Fisher said:

Please please add the ability to batch process in develop persona.

The best you can do right now is to click Develop without adjusting anything in the Develop Persona. Then make your adjustments in the Photo Persona, while recording a macro. Save the macro into the Library.

Then run a batch job that applies the macro to the other images.

-- Walt
PC:

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The best you can do right now is to click Develop without adjusting anything in the Develop Persona. Then make your adjustments in the Photo Persona, while recording a macro. Save the macro into the Library.

Then run a batch job that applies the macro to the other images.

Unfortunately, all my processing is about getting the dynamic range out of the raw into the picture; e.g. sky blues by adjusting the highlights. It's nowhere near as good in the Photo persona. I've had to switch to RawTherapee to bulk process my raw images, which is a real shame as it's cut affinity completely out of my workflow.

• 2 weeks later...