You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Batch Processing RAW files with macros

Hello all,

I know this has been discussed countless times earlier, but I still can't wrap my head around about how this feature still isn't available by now.

As a timelapse photographer coming from Lightroom I need to process about 400 photos for each timelapse sequence. What is so difficult to just provide the feature of copy and pasting adjustments on one photo to a bunch of others? Or, since you provide the macro feature, use this also on the development panel? I really hope to see this feature in an update soon, or at least I'd like to have an explanation on why an apparently simple option like this can't be implemented.

I saw this topic being discussed for more than 5 years already. I really like AP and it's interface but this is a must have for me. Otherwise I need to go back to LR which is not what I want to.

Best regards

Mo

You can set up a batch process that reads a set of raw files, applies one or more macros to them and then saves in another format (including resizing). You need to be aware that the default development processing is not the same as a non-batch develop, but you can adjust your macros to obtain the desired effect.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 6:30 AM, John Rostron said:

You can set up a batch process that reads a set of raw files, applies one or more macros to them and then saves in another format (including resizing). You need to be aware that the default development processing is not the same as a non-batch develop, but you can adjust your macros to obtain the desired effect.

John

"You can..." but how? Is there a tutorial video? How do you make a macro for the Develop Persona when macro recording isn't available there?

Not trying to be a smart-alec, I'm just asking because I have the same questions as OP.

On 5/25/2020 at 7:30 AM, John Rostron said:

You need to be aware that the default development processing is not the same as a non-batch develop,

I believe they improved that in 1.8.3 for batch processing, John.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 hours ago, W A Tolbert said:

You can..." but how? Is there a tutorial video? How do you make a macro for the Develop Persona when macro recording isn't available there?

You cannot record Develop actions in a macro. What I was suggesting was that you create a macro to run in the Photo persona following on from the Develop persona.

I have not explored what @walt.farrell is suggesting in 1.8.3. I will try it out.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 1 month later...

I second (or third?) this feature request!

The method mentioned below isn't a real alternative to what the OP (and myself) really required.

On 5/25/2020 at 4:30 AM, John Rostron said:

John

I believe what this does is to develop first and then apply adjustments on the developed file (presumably only 8-bit). On the other hand, developing persona does use the higher bit info (10/12/14 depends on your camera manufacture) in raw files. This will results in significant difference if one need to adjust aggressively.

Here is a demo attached: the first picture is process in batch with a macro (+3EV and some denoise tweak). For the 2nd picture, the same tweak is applied in develop persona. I intentionally used a way underexposed photo to exaggerate this (note the bright spot in the sky is moon). But you can see the difference is non-trivial

P5020761_Batch.jpg

P5020761_Dev.jpg

I third or fourth or may be hundredth this request. Applying changes in develop persona is not the same as applying later. If they were the same, why do we even have a develop persona? I really need this feature on AP and this is one of the features that is pushing me to LR :/

I really wish this one feature doesn’t push me away from AP.

Edited by jonatious

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree!

I can't make the adjustments I desire to my raw files in the photo persona. The changes I need to make aren't available in the photo persona; therefore, I can't batch the changes I want to make to between 100 - 500 files per session. Can a dedicated macro panel be added to the develop persona? I really need this ability.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, UncleMonkey said:

Really needed. How about a reply from Serif here?

Serif generally does not reply to feature requests. They read them, and factor them into their planning, but they do not generally engage in discussion about them nor discuss whether they plan to implement them.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 1 month later...

Yes indeed, it's v e r y noticeable that Serif doesn't reply to feature requests, or commit themselves to delivering particular improvements. Giving firm dates would be imprudent, but assuming they *do* have a development plan, it would be great for users to see what to expect in Wave One, Wave Two and so on — not as absolute commitments, but as goals. There are a bunch of pretty basic features Adobe and others offer that we're still waiting for, entirely in the dark. So far nothing that's going to make me move away, but in my book this unresponsiveness verges on arrogance. At the very least, Serif could maintain a Top 10 Feature Requests page with brief notes about what to expect.

2 hours ago, UncleMonkey said:

but assuming they *do* have a development plan, it would be great for users to see what to expect in Wave One, Wave Two and so on — not as absolute commitments, but as goals.

They tried that. It didn't work.

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if I'm requesting the same thing therefore apologies if not but I'm staggered to find that batch opening and processing for raw files is still a ball ache. Do people really process raw files one at a time?!

My normal workflow is to open up maybe a hundred, possibly more raw files, go through them with photoshop, edit some, delete others and then process them.

I attempted this a couple of years ago with Affinity Photo and it ended in having to restart my mac!

Today I attempted to open six raw files in Affinity Photo. By the time they finally opened I'd already given up waiting, opened them instead in Photoshop and processed them. When Affinity Photo finally opened them up I still then had to force quit it!

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, jonatious said:

I dont know if anyone from Serif reads this post or if they do and just ignore :/

Serif staff read the topics in this part of the forum. They generally will not comment here, however, as they do not want to bias these discussions, nor give any details of what they might be planning for the future.

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...