You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello everyone,

I have a .jpg image (attached). I've tried the following steps to make the background transparent, but it just makes my selected color transparent and the rest stays the same.

1. Open the .jpg

2. Be in Pixel mode

3. right click on layer and choose rasterize

4. using the eyedropper tool, sample the color I want to keep.

5. Go to Select Manu and select sampled color. (I noticed this not only outlines my subject, but puts marching ants around the entire border of the image.)

6. Click on mask layer icon at bottom of layers panel (this immediately deletes my sampled color rather than keeps it!)

I can't get any further than this to complete my work.

Thank you for any help!

Chris 

dreamstime_m_152617478.jpg

1 hour ago, chriscaldwell said:

1. Open the .jpg

2. Be in Pixel mode

3. right click on layer and choose rasterize (not strictly necessary, only for image Layers)

4. using the eyedropper tool, sample the color I want to keep. (not strictly necessary)

You are being slightly misled by the term "Select Sampled Colour" as used in the menu item Select > Select Sampled Colour

Select Sampled Colour does not mean the colour you sampled with the eye dropper tool

Once you use the menu and click on Select > Select Sampled Colour you are then supposed to click on the colour in your image that you want to be the sampled colour.

In your specific case this would mean you should click on the black colour in your image

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Wow this is great info. I have access to all the Affinity applications, but in this case, I was using Designer as I'm trying to create a logo. I was following a tutorial that I found on YouTube, but there was a step missing. Thank you very much for explaining how to do this, so now I have learned yet another cool thing I can do with this amazing software!

Lisbon, when using your method, how would I then export just the black chain part? It seems to include the transparency background.

I used the vector crop tool to select as close to the black chain as possible. I then went to export, selection without background, PNG, and yet when I open the image in Photo, the white background is around the chain. I even checked to see if Transparent Background was checked. I"m sure I'm just missing something simple. Thank you. 

chain-large.png

"Lisbon, when using your method, how would I then export just the black chain part?
It seems to include the transparency background."

You can use the crop tool to hide the extra transparency.

transparent.jpg.d92ded8ba608cccfc038e979bf86a817.jpg

And then eliminate the hiden transparency by going to Layer > Rasterize & Trim.

At this point you should have a single layer with transparency.

SingleLayer.jpg.3d628a03ce71d698d4eded5175d1ae17.jpg
Save it by going to File > Export: PNG Area: Whole document

Hi ErrkaPetti!

"Shouldn’t it be “Document without Background”?"
On my computer I have "Selection without background". (Probably that was what you wanted to say)

I agree with you. I also think it should be "without background".

On my computer both "Whole document" and  "Selection with background" save the transparency.

"Selection without background" fills the background with white.

wholedocument.jpg.0bb581d10e83ee290a7b24761af86bf3.jpg