You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I create a glassy, reflective, translucent button?

Hello,

Hope everyone is doing well.

I'm trying to figure out how to create one of those glassy looking buttons, but can only get so far.

The transparency tool is the key I suppose, but I cannot seem to get it right. How do you clip it so the piece of shape that I used to create the highlight isn't exported?

Can someone explain how to do this with a capsule type of button shape? I have attached my work so far. I want to be able to scale this down to try different sizes from say 275px wide to 350px.

Thank you so much,

Chris

order-now-orange.afdesign

orange.afdesign

Without knowing exactly what you are trying to achieve it’s difficult for us to know how close you are to achieving it.
Would you be able to give us an example of what you are trying to replicate?
P.S. Where do you expect to use this style of button?

Like this Garry… You can make more complex glass but this is at it’s simplest, a rounded rectangle filled with white and a transparency gradient added.

1560927423_ScreenShot2020-05-25at10_48_23.png.cd1040ff9434dbeca1970ae3975989e2.png

orange glass btn.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Yes, like that.

Plenty of tutorials out there for Illustrator, CorelDRAW etc. that will show you the general idea at least 🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

You could also use this: http://www.holshousersoftware.com/glass/ a bit of a cheat but produces nice results.

drawButton.png.18e65485b7f171af6cd9eee3f7707cbd.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Buttons, Logos, Spheres ... etc. they all can be done in similar ways by reusing the one or other technique ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

When the fx are improved we can have slick glassy styles unless someone already has some?

Searching through the net via Google should give some results for Affinity styles etc. Further there might be already some in the forums resources section (didn't looked/searched).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

And there are other possibilities here: https://cooltext.com/
One simple example is this: https://cooltext.com/Logo-Design-Still-Cool-Button
However, I think it’s still worth knowing where they are going to use the button and how they are going to use it.

I think the text “Order Now” is the clue, so on an ecommerce website, Ebay, or some such.

18 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I think the text “Order Now” is the clue, so on an ecommerce website, Ebay, or some such.

Not necessarily.
It could be for use in an app, or it could be for a button with a hyperlink in a PDF, or the text could just be ‘filler’ as an example prior to making what’s actually needed, or probably many other things.
I asked the question so we could know, rather than guessing what Chris’ intentions were.

16 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Not necessarily.
It could be for use in an app, or it could be for a button with a hyperlink in a PDF, or the text could just be ‘filler’ as an example prior to making what’s actually needed, or probably many other things.
I asked the question so we could know, rather than guessing what Chris’ intentions were.

True, 🤔

Thanks for the extra info’ Chris.
I only asked the question as I have two concerns about using that sort of button on a website:
1. That kind of ‘fancy’ or ‘overly-styled’ button is generally considered to be a bit ‘old fashioned’ nowadays. (A bit like having flashing text or a scrolling marquee.) If it fits with the overall website design then that’s absolutely fine, of course, but a lot of websites tend to go with something much more plain and that’s what users are used to seeing.
2. If the text for the button is contained within the raster image then it will be difficult (if it’s at all possible) for screen readers or text-based browsers to see it. This means, amongst other things, that some visually impaired users may have difficulty finding the button as their browser may not be able to tell them where it is.

If these neither of these concerns have a negative impact on your design then that’s okay, but I think it’s worth pointing them out just in case.

A lot of the elements on multi device websites are now CSS coded: https://codepen.io/desandro/pen/KqQbaq

Going down the CSS route – as given in the example by firstdefence above – would be my choice if I wanted to use this sort of button on a website as the text within the button is discoverable by users in all browsers, even if images are prohibited (for whatever reason).

Common usage for webdesigners etc. See also more descriptive ...

And in case of already using bootstrap with patching/modifying their CSS ...

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

If the text for the button is contained within the raster image then it will be difficult (if it’s at all possible) for screen readers or text-based browsers to see it.

Screen readers have no way of knowing what text, if any, is included in a raster image. That’s what the HTML ‘alt’ attribute is for.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)