You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey has anyone noticed any problems using text in AD? It is very slow for me. If I use a text frame, after less than a paragraph it starts to slow down -- I type in text and it takes a moment or two to show up on the screen.  It gets slower as I integrate more text. Slightly worse with artistic text.

I've tried changing the render settings (paths only, pixel, etc.) but no difference.  I don't have many fonts installed, it's a fairly new OS install (Win 10) and I've only installed a few additional fonts.  This is not much text (I realize more text belongs in Publisher) basically a few paragraphs that might appear on any flyer or poster.

Strange: I have a dual-screen setup -- when I use the second screen for the dockers (I would like to have this setup) the problem is even worse.

Any ideas are much appreciated!

Would it be possible for you to give us a short video showing the problem?
That would allow us to see what is happening for ourselves and advise further.
If you cannot provide a video then a full-screen screen grab showing your Layers Panel with the text layer selected may help us to understand what the situation is.

Hi I've attached the video here.  Not sure how clear it is that it's slow. I wrote a "second" in the video but that is clearly not one second between type-to-screen, just a turn of phrase!

I started with some lorem as it isn't really a problem for the first few letters but gets slower the more text there is.

It is slow to respond, and I think it may show up better when selecting text (with keyboard)

I made a comparison video for Notepad, which is smoother and faster

Lowered video quality a bit for reasonable upload but framerate should still be good.

Can provide more if necessary.

The responsiveness does seem a little slow when compared to Notepad but when you consider the extra work that Designer Publisher has to put into things ‘behind the scenes’ – which Notepad doesn’t – then I don’t think it’s too bad.
It would be interesting to see how the responsiveness of Designer Publisher, with regard to entering/editing text, compares to other comparable software.

Edited by GarryP
Changed Publisher to Designer.

No, it's slow compared to everything.  I've used other vector design apps on my computer and other machines and never this slow.  It's true that there is a lot going on 'behind the scenes', but text rendering isn't anything new and not very complicated. There are no effects or anything else here that I can see that would put a strain on my computer.

I haven't installed Publisher yet as no real need but I will try the trial for a comparison.

Sorry, don’t know why I brought Publisher into the mix there. Got myself confused. (Have edited my earlier post.)
I don’t usually do a lot of typing in Designer, and I am sometimes a fairly slow typist, so responsiveness of text editing isn’t really an issue for me here.
If Designer is particularly slow when compared to something like Illustrator – under similar conditions – then that’s probably worth bringing up in the Feedback section of the forums for the developers to look at.

On 5/29/2020 at 6:14 AM, M G said:

made a comparison video for Notepad, which is smoother and faster

That is perhaps understandable.

Comparing a WYSIWYG editor, which ensures that text is formatted with styles, spell checking, etc. as you type, with a simple text editor that doesn't even provide font size, is impossible.

P. S. I find the rendering of the text quite fast. I see no problem or limitation in it.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Notepad was just a quick comparison for the video, to show that there is no lag or other video issues.

As I mentioned before, any other graphical software I've tried does not have the text lag.  This is understandably hard to visualize, it's hard for me to explain.  There is a very short lag between pressing a key and seeing the letter on the screen.  It makes typing in the software painful and frustrating.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @M G,

Apologies for the delayed response here. Although Notepad is not an 'apples to apples' comparison, due to all of the additional processing Affinity does, your screen recording from Designer certainly does appear more laggy than we'd expect.

I'd like to see if resetting the app back to default settings helps here. You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity: Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video. - https://player.vimeo.com/video/189596577/

Secondly, how many fonts do you have installed? Do you have an active font manager in use?

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 4:46 AM, Dan C said:

Hi @M G,

Apologies for the delayed response here. Although Notepad is not an 'apples to apples' comparison, due to all of the additional processing Affinity does, your screen recording from Designer certainly does appear more laggy than we'd expect.

I'd like to see if resetting the app back to default settings helps here. You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity: Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video. - https://player.vimeo.com/video/189596577/

Secondly, how many fonts do you have installed? Do you have an active font manager in use?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Dan,

I have very few fonts installed -- it's a fairly fresh Windows install and I've only installed a few fonts - only a few dozen different families (although more variants).

I did try the reset at one point, which sort of worked but not for long -- it would start slowing down again. Interestingly, if I put studio dockers on my second monitor (which is where I would prefer them, to remove clutter from the design space) it definitely slows down even more.

The comparison to Notepad is, I realize, not fair. It was only included as a video comparison, to show that the lag was computer driven and nothing to do with the screen capture or video compression. However, if I compare it to other vector applications, it's still very laggy.

I do not have an active font manager in use.

Thanks for your feedback,

Marc

I now suspect it's a separate memory issue, not directly related to fonts.

History: I was working with a different file, under 3mb in size, but with over 4000 objects (no big deal for my previous projects), with very few gradients, no textures or bitmaps, nothing too complicated. I closed that file. I opened a new blank file. When I click and drag a square in the new file the drag is very noticeable, very laggy, even though this is the only file open.  Video is attached.

AD starts to work "normally" when I restart it.  After some usage, it starts to slow down again. Note there is no lag anywhere else in the computer, and it doesn't matter if I have any other applications open.

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that, and for your screen recording M G,

Could you please open Edit>Preferences>Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here?

Many thanks once again :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

So i have the same slow issue with A Publisher. When I first load, it is normal, but gets slow and slower as I type.

I have seen several threads on this problem.

I have not had the issue if I use Serif Page Plus or Adobe InDesign (which I detest). Only A.P.

I have a dell win10 Laptop. with 8GB memory 64-bit system 2.20 GHZ, AMD a8 7410, Radeon R5 graphics laptop with 17.3 inch touchscreen

• 4 months later...
8 minutes ago, JPSports said:

Where can you do that at? I can’t find it. Thx

Are you on Mac or Windows? Which application and release are you using?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, JPSports said:

I am in windows 10 affinity publisher, latest release

The Affinity applications on Windows do not have Hardware Acceleration, until 1.9 (currently only in Beta test).

But you can check the Performance tab under Preferences for other options; I'm not sure which ones might help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 9 months later...

Same things are happening to me. But on macOS and with way more powerful hardware.
Please see this thread for more test videos and project files.

Initially I thought that problem is with artboards. But after all the tests it is clear for me, that text layers are causing all these slowdowns.

Seems like text engine in Affinity Designer is not capable of handling text layers containing more than a couple of paragraphs.
Performance is gradually decreasing with every sentence being added.

Considering how fast and smooth my overall experience with Affinity products I see this as an optimization/algorithmic issue that definitely needs to be addressed.

FWIW I've found anything text related (beyond a few words/paragraphs) in recent releases of the Affinity Suite is often painfully slow/laggy. There are a number of similar issues posted about this on the forums, which leads me to believe it's possibly an issue with Serif's text rendering engine. I was hoping the performance improvements in 1.10 would fix this once and for all, but sadly nothing seems to have changed in my (now limited) usage. Fingers crossed Serif addresses these issues in a future update.

On 5/31/2020 at 1:41 AM, M G said:

No problem re Publisher.

It is slower than Illustrator and other vector apps I've used. I did post a bug, haven't heard anything back yet.

You should know that the Affinity programmes always try to render the UI and all other things with the best possible quality. Most other programmes on the market don't do that! And the effort to always get everything on the screen with the best possible display quality costs computing time.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!