You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Photo

I have an image, to which I want to add rounded corners.    I have overlayed the rounder corner tool and adjusted to get the right radius.   However I cannot see what the next step is.   

Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Alex

Edited by Alex H
showing which module being used

Place the image as a child layer to the rounded rectangle so that the image is sat below and off to the right.

606239513_Nestedimage.png.4edfd0c98da26a247c7c4cdb7640b530.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

You must first convert the image to a curve object, then you can apply the corner tool.

I made you a little screen video. In the beginning the image is not converted to a curve object, so the curve tool doesn't work.
Then I selected the image, opened the menu "Layers" and selected "Convert to curve". After this I applied the curve tool to the image.

My app interface is in german, in english the command is called "convert to curve" (or similar) . Unfortunately my screen recorder does not record the opened menus of Affinity, so you can't see the menu items.

I hope I could help you with this.

Markus

Edit: Sorry, didn't realized that you mean Affinity Photo. Does Photo offer a corner tool??

GIF.gif

19 minutes ago, Ger.Markus said:

Does Photo offer a corner tool??

Only via shapes, that is why the image is nested in a shape.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 1 year later...
On 5/24/2020 at 10:12 PM, firstdefence said:

Only via shapes, that is why the image is nested in a shape.

How to make a "shape" to see the hidden(?) corner tool in Affinity PHOTO?

Can you show it, please? I haven't found any corner tool in Affinity Photo.

No idea how to make a rounded version of a single corner.

Before designer users aswers: I don't have Affinity Designer.

3 minutes ago, Christoph Werner said:

Before designer users aswers: I don't habv Affinity Designer.

But AP has a Rounded Rectangle Tool. Draw the rectangle, uncheck Single radius, set your corner(s) and move the image into this rectangle.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

17 minutes ago, Christoph Werner said:

Sorry. I was unclear. I mean one or more individual corners of a shape!

A bit more work, but you can do this with the Rounded Rectangle Tools as well. You have to delete a node, after you converted the rectangle to curves.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

There is no Corner Tool in Photo.
One, quite horrible, method in Photo is to create two new nodes near the corner, then alter the corner node to Smooth, then move the corner node inwards – with probably some extra manipulation of the control handles.
See my attached video where I do it very quickly. You will probably need to take much more time over it to make something look good.
Hopefully someone else can show you a better/nicer method.
P.S. Photo isn’t really the best application for vector manipulation as it’s more suited for image manipulation.

16 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

A bit more work, but you can do this with the Rounded Rectangle Tools as well. You have to delete a node, after you converted the rectangle to curves.

Thank you. I know the most workarounds and don't think the Rounded Rectangle Tool helps in my situation or any others if you've a custom created shape.

I would like to create any shape using the vector pen tool. And afterwards setting some corners round by using a single tool.  This is a common way, and nothing special. It's ok, if it's not possible in Affinity Photo yet. I hope it will be implemented sometime in the upcoming versions. 🙂

Best wishes

20 minutes ago, GarryP said:

P.S. Photo isn’t really the best application for vector manipulation as it’s more suited for image manipulation.

Yes, but it would be good to have a more or less complete vector tool set. We have already a corner tool for the rounded rectangle shape. So why not having one also for custom shapes?

Doesn't matter. Thank you.