You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cursor disappears after using stroke panel

Hello, I'm using the latest version of Designer and I have experienced a following bug multiple times already: when I change some settings in the strokes panel and choose some brush as a stroke, my cursor disappears completely. I can't see it anymore, the only way I know that it's still there because text in the menu will light up when I hover my mouse over it. I have to restart the app to get it back.

EDIT: I have to specify that it's not the "stroke" panel on the right, but the menu on top.

Edited by Vosje

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I have made a video for you with my phone, I hope you can see what's happening. After my cursor disappears, I show the bottom of my screen because the cursor will show up when hovered over Windows menu bar, but not when I hover it over Affinity app.

The steps I took: tried to change the stroke a few times, chose different brushes and then typed a different stroke value with my keyboard hitting Enter. At one point, the cursor disappears! I am using my tablet pen at that moment. Then I try to point my cursor at the menu bar below, you see it showing up there and disappearing again but then, the cursor suddely re-appears even hovered over Affinity Designer! I didn't even know that it could do that (maybe it came back because I switched back to using my mouse, not my pen, but I'm not sure about that). Maybe it has something to do with Affinity handling pen tablet drivers. I had other problems when the move tool suddenly stops working in Photo and Publisher and understood that a future release will have some completely rewritten code and that it may be fixed by that. However, the move tool has issues with my MOUSE (which is a tablet mouse), and this seems to be related to my PEN. So, I'm sure sure whether this is connected...

@Vosje Thanks for the info. I have a Wacom tablet and cannot reproduce this but mine does not have a mouse. I will check with my colleagues to see if they can reproduce this. The closest I can get is for it to disappear briefly while I type in the new stroke width.

@Vosje It is very likely to be down to your tablet. Could you give the Beta build a try as there have been some tablet changes made to it?:

Can you also tell me what OS you are using please? It is likely to be due to driver support for your tablet. Wacom don't have any official drivers for Windows 10.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me! It is indeed Windows 10. However the tablet, mouse and pen all work properly with other apps (Photoshop included). I've never experienced anything like this except for in Affinity. I guess it really may have something to do with the drivers, I'll check the beta out.

Hi @haakoo, thanks for showing me this thread! Oh, no, now I am afraid that the new release will make things even worse for me as well (since I do use Graphire just like you!) I still haven't tested the new beta, once I will I'll let you know what's on my side. Anyway, my Windows 10 build is not 2004.

@SPaceBar, I have just downloaded the beta and tested it, I am not even able to use my mouse and pen anymore because I am experiencing the same issue as @haakoo, I can't even draw a simple square because Designer will add lots of extra multiple squares while I'm trying to draw just one! So I couldn't test this out because I couldn't even apply a stroke to my path. So it's very bad news, the old versions of the program worked (eventhough they showed some strange behaviour at times), but now, it's not even possible to do anything at all!