You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DXO Nik 5.0.1

Hi, I have the above Nik plug in I bought in Jan. 2019. It worked in the passed but not now. When I go to filters, plug ins the Nik software is there. I choose say silver Efex pro 2 and it opens, the first bar zips across the screen then the second bar just hangs per screen shot below. I then close the Nik screen, but when I try to close Affinity it won't. I have to resort to holding the start button on my iMac desktop to close the computer and start again! I know Nik is working because I can export an image to a folder on my desktop and then open in what ever Nik application I choose. Have uninstalled and reinstalled Affinity but still no luck. I sent a request to DXO but I dont think it went for some reason, not the easiest company to deal with I am sorry to say . Any help would be much appreciated Thanks Mike 

Screenshot 2020-05-24 at 11.33.12.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey mikep,

This should be working. I've just downloaded a fresh copy of DxO 3 and successfully ran Silver Efex Pro 2 up.

Did you follow the guide on the DxO website?
https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040284711-How-to-launch-Nik-Collection-2-5-by-DxO-plugins-from-Affinity-Photo-1-8-or-higher-

I would recommend uninstalling the version you have now using the DxO installed and then redo this. When you redo it, the Authorise Global button will likely be greyed out already—this is because you have previously done it. Also, the 'Allow "Unknown plugins to be used' will likely already be checked—so just confirm.

I installed mine into a custom folder under Applications > Affinity  Plugins which automatically made the DxO folder which is the one you need to add in Plugin Search Folders.

Screenshot 2020-06-18 13.58.46.png

Screenshot_2020-06-18_14_02_28.png

*Note* There are a few outstanding issues with the DxO plugins such as a red overlay on some of the UI. This is being worked on with the help of DxO. 

Hi Chris,

I seem to have a problem with Apple, Affinity photo and DXO Nik. First I use an iMac desktop that is totally unto date with software versions. Also two weeks ago I had my iMac updated with an ssd drive. I did exactly what you said, uninstalled and reinstalled Nik and it worked (this problem I am about to explain has been on going since I down loaded DXO, I uninstalled Affinity photo and reinstalled about a month ago so everything is "brand new").  After doing EXACTLY as the link you sent me said to do. I opened Affinity and imported a raw file. I developed it, went to filters plug ins Nik and clicked on Silver effects pro. Silver Efex Pro 2 opened, the bar opened and whipped across, then the bar hung, never moved. this is the exact same problem that I have experienced all the time with Nik. The next problem is a real pain, I close the Nik window but I cant close Affinity, that coloured wheel just spins. I press the start button on the Mac asks close or reboot, click close and nothing happens. I have to hold the start button in to get the Mac to close.

So in conclusion, all my software Apple, Affinity are unto date. DXO Nik has Been uninstalled and reinstalled but doses not work from Affinity. I have a work round that involves exporting an image into a folder on my desktop then right click and open in which ever DXO nix plug in I want and it works! Any help you could offer would be very much appreciated as this problem is driving me mad! Thanks for replying by the way much appreciated.

Mikep

• Staff

Can you attach a copy of the raw. Some plugins don't support 32 bit and maybe some are funny with 16 bit so maybe that's the issue? However, the plugin is usually greyed out if it detects a 32 bit file so maybe not... Either way, I'm happy to give one of your raw files a go as I know mine is working (bar the red overlay glitch). 

Thanks Chris, this is a typical raw file shot with my Canon 70D. it won't open in Silver effects pro 2 after being developed in Affinity photo.  As I said in my work round Nik works, so am not sure why it won't open from Affinity as its the same file but from another location?

thanks 

Mike

IMG_0668.CR2

• Staff

Hi Mike,

Your image, developed with Affinity using Apple Core was able to load into Silver Efex Pro 2 on my machine, in both the retail version and beta. However, the retail version took a long time. The beta loaded it in seconds.

The red overlay you're seeing is the issue we're working with DxO to resolve.

Hi Chris,

Thanks again or replying. My question is, where doses this leave me? There must be a problem somewhere. I don't think it's with my computer, so I am totally lost. As I said yesterday, my workaround solves the problem,  I can use any of the DXO Nik plugins so I think there must be a problem may be with Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5 and Affinity photo? What is Apple Core?

Thanks again

Mike

• Staff

Hi mike,
From your replies above you are running:
- macOS Catalina 10.15.5
- Affinity Photo 1.8.3 bought on the Mac App Store
- DxO Nik Collection 2.5

Can you confirm if the last one is correct? Run any of the plugins or any of the standalone versions, click the small yellow Nik logo on the top right of the interface then in the Version line check the number that's between parenthesis after the X64 part. Can you tell me what says there please? Thanks.

Regarding the question about Apple Core, Affinity Photo for macOS has two RAW engines available: our own Serif Labs and the one provided by Apple with macOS Apple (Core Image RAW). You can change between them going to menu View > Assistant Manager... while you are in Develop Persona and changing to the respective option in the RAW Engine dropdown. You must reload the RAW for the new setting take effect.

Hi MEB,

This situation with Affinity and plugins on my machine gets more bizarre by the moment. I have just downloaded Luminar 4. Along has come Luminar 3 and Luminar 2018. Thats fine they are all there in Affinity. When I chose Luminar 4 a box pops up saying "plugin started" (see screen shot) the problem is nothing happens! Then I cant close Affinity or my computer, I have to press and hold the start button on my Mac to close the computer and start again. This is the exact same situation if I choose any Nik plus in. This is what I explained to Chris B. I have uninstalled all programs, Affinity, Nik and Luminar and then reinstalled but I still get the same result, I cant get Affinity to open an image in any plugin. I would be very grateful if you could offer ant advice on how to solve this problem.

Regards

MikepScreenshot_2020-06-23_at_16_53_21.thumb.png.8eb112ff983b25a8d6a46ce3f337ad42.pngScreenshot_2020-06-23_at_16_53_21.thumb.png.8eb112ff983b25a8d6a46ce3f337ad42.pngScreenshot_2020-06-23_at_16_53_21.thumb.png.8eb112ff983b25a8d6a46ce3f337ad42.png

• Staff

Hi mikep,
Sorry the delay getting back to you. Luminar never worked/was supported in Affinity Photo on macOS - it always displayed that small notification box, then hangs Affinity Photo. I haven't tested v4 but i'm not surprised it's doing the same. Nik Collection however should do work. I'm convinced that the installation or setup wasn't done correctly. I just want to check something on my system with the version information you provided before giving you more instructions.