You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you resize your document while maintaining the content ratio?

Hi there,

Sorry if this is a really obvious question! I just wondered how you resize a document while maintaining the aspect ratio of the content in the document?

Basically, I sell prints online, and I want my art to be in A1 size, as well as 2:3, 3:4, 4:5 ratios etc. When I go to resize, either the art changes ratio along with the page, or I have to manually drag the art to be the right size (it then changes the detail in my picture).

Is there an easy way of doing this?

Thanks!

Jessica

As you’ve discovered, Jessica, if you change the aspect ratio of the document you’ll distort its contents. Instead of changing the document size, you need to change the canvas size and then resize the elements on the canvas.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

10 minutes ago, Alfred said:

As you’ve discovered, Jessica, if you change the aspect ratio of the document you’ll distort its contents. Instead of changing the document size, you need to change the canvas size and then resize the elements on the canvas.

Okay, thanks for your fast reply! On Affinity Designer do I need to use the Artboard tool to do this?

31 minutes ago, GraficoDesign said:

On Affinity Designer do I need to use the Artboard tool to do this?

No, you just need to make sure that the ‘Object will Rescale’ option is not set. (Apologies for any confusion caused by my introducing the document/canvas distinction. I’ve mostly been using the iPad version lately, and things like resizing work a little differently.)

More info here.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)