You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Document has changed:

This may not be a bug, per se, but it seems very odd to have seen the warning message (attached).

AFPUB 1.8.3; Mac OS X 10.15.3

I was editing and saving a document as I went. I had also saved sequential versions as I edited (to see if any problems arose). I keyed Command + S to "save" the file, did some more edits and keyed Command + S again and got this warning message. I should not have gotten that type of message as there is no other instance of AFPUB or any other process (including Design and Photo) that would access the document in question. That is to say there could be no reason (except bugs IMHO) that the message should have popped up. I did perform a "save as" as the message suggested.

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 11.30.34 AM x.png

I now believe that this unusual series of errors was part of the problems I have been having - mostly AFPUB crashing when trying to make any change to a document that has been just opened, and quiescent (see below link). Right after I got the unusual message above (and had saved a new  version of the document), I made a few more edits (copying text from another AFPUB document to this one), setting style and then performing a File/Save command using the mouse cursor (no key strokes).

The document in question is located on the main disk of the computer (same disk that is used to boot the system). The document was NOT being loaded when the following message popped up. I cannot think of any good reason that the access to the document file was lost with the exception of probable bugs. See this link of a crash:

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 12.01.34 PM.png

Follow-up - the same document in question (vers. 7) is now corrupt and cannot be worked with. First edit you try to make and AFPUB crashes. I'm going to go back one version to see if it is OK, however, upon examination, AFPUB 1.8.3, believes that the earlier version (6) is open by another application and AFPUB cannot load it. I have checked all the running applications and none of them have the capability of opening an AFPUB file. It is possible that the version I'm trying to open may have a "lock file" somewhere that AFPUB placed. I do not know where those reside, if they exist. The document is not locked by the System.

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 2.26.11 PM.png

Where do you save the document: local drive or network or cloud storage?

If local, is the folder managed by any cloud-storage services like Google Drive, OneDrive, etc?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Regarding the document in question, it is stored in a local folder. The folder is local and part of the Mac system-created folders: "Documents."  It is only managed by the Mac operating system and no other. I do not use cloud-storage services for the Documents folder (specifically, not using iCloud Drive or any other). However, the Resource Manager Collection contains all of the linked images used in the document - and that is located on my own local (LAN Ethernet) NAS that is on a Volume mounted under the Mac O/S. None of the images there were changed in the past 5 months (more importantly, not changed during this reported incident). I have been using the Resource Manager Collection configuration since January 2020 and have not had any problems.

I may have alluded to the following in the related topic above. Each time I have had trouble, I have two documents loaded and copying from one to the other. I have a weak suspicion that AFPUB may occasionally mix up which document is "active" and which is "inactive" - that is, on top of the AFPUB desktop or not. I noted that possibility during a time when I used the Separated Mode and AFPUB kept switching documents when I was editing the other document (this is a known issue). I stopped using the Separated Mode after I learned about that problem.

During this incident, I did make a change to the Source document and I did save it with no problems. Later on, maybe shortly thereafter, while editing the Target document is when I got the unusual messages above and, eventually, a crash.

I am just guessing here - not really sure what is causing the problems.

• Staff

Hi both

On 5/23/2020 at 10:36 PM, thetasig said:

Follow-up - the same document in question (vers. 7) is now corrupt and cannot be worked with. First edit you try to make and AFPUB crashes.

Can you attach the document in question?

On 5/23/2020 at 8:12 PM, thetasig said:

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 12.01.34 PM.png

Can you constantly replicate this or was it just a one-off?

On 5/23/2020 at 7:54 PM, thetasig said:

I was editing and saving a document as I went. I had also saved sequential versions as I edited (to see if any problems arose). I keyed Command + S to "save" the file, did some more edits and keyed Command + S again and got this warning message. I should not have gotten that type of message as there is no other instance of AFPUB or any other process (including Design and Photo) that would access the document in question. That is to say there could be no reason (except bugs IMHO) that the message should have popped up. I did perform a "save as" as the message suggested.

Screen Shot 2020-05-23 at 11.30.34 AM x.png

We check if the file we originally opened matches what's on the disk. If it doesn't, you get this message. I doubt it's as simple as saving over the same file, otherwise we would have had thousands of users reporting this. Can you replicate this on a new document?

I am trying to finish creating an e-book format document from a 12" x 12" coffee table book by copying from the larger format to the smaller e-book format. As far as I know, I cannot replicate this on a new document. It is most likely, as I mentioned, an esoteric error that occurs when working with two large documents simultaneously and copying between them. I was able to get about two-thirds of the way through the process before I ran into the crashes with the e-book document.

The "target" document and "source" document, when both open, give me the opportunity to copy from "source" to "target" and this, I believe, is the underlying reason the "target" document eventually becomes corrupted. It is difficult for me to pinpoint the specific cause(s). I have been able to replicate the problem starting with a "good" target (I use versioning to advantage) and then ending up with a corrupted "target" document - I've attempted about 4-5 times now and failed each time.

One approach that I'm now attempting is to use the source only as a reference and NOT copying any objects directly from that. Instead, I will try to re-build the remaining parts of the target manually. That will be a slower process, but might likely work in this case. For example, I've copied some text from the source to an external Text editor, then transferred that from the editor to the target - and manually creating picture frames and images, from the Resource Manager Collection folder.

With the two documents I've been working with, I can work on the "source" document alone successfully. In that situation, I am not copying from another document.

I can upload the currently corrupted document - but I'd appreciate using your secure Dropbox location to do that.

I've uploaded the document - what I do is to wait for it to load (takes about 3-4 minutes) and then I go into text mode and inside a text frame I just type a character. A few seconds after that, AFPUB crashes. If you immediately type something while it starts loading, it crashes after the load has completed.

I've uploaded the resources in a folder. This folder sits on my local network NAS (Ethernet) and its Volume is mounted on the Mac when I need to work with AFPUB.

When you are finished testing, please delete the resources from your system and Dropbox. These are photos and are not yet copyrighted and I'm concerned about losing control over them prior to finishing up the copyright process.

Thank you.

p.s. Is it not possible for you to receive private messages ? I tried but the system says you can't

• Staff

Thanks. Issue logged. It looks like this file uses all the ram + ~60gb of disk space during loading. Issue logged. 

On 5/29/2020 at 3:34 PM, thetasig said:

p.s. Is it not possible for you to receive private messages ? I tried but the system says you can't

I'm afraid no. We have no way of managing/keeping track of private messages and we don't use them. Sorry :(

Yes I do have lots of disk space - see below. My AFPUB did not stop responding - I waited until the load was finished (using Activity Monitor CPU measure). Here's the numbers for two files I have - usually both are open simultaneously (copying one to another page by page). For many weeks there were no problems doing this. Then, suddenly, the target file seems corrupted - if any action is taken it crashes. I still suspect some problems during the copy/paste process. See my notes earlier.

Source file (never crashed yet): FIle Size: 77.2 MB; Memory: 19.09 GB, Disk: 16.02 GB

Target file (crashes at any edit/action): File Size: 78.3 MB; Memory 16.52 GB; Disk: 31.97 GB

System: Memory: 64 GB; Disk Space: 2.74 TB available of 4TB (SSD) - it's a MacBook Pro 16 circa 2019

Perhaps one thing to note, but it could be from the issues (my notes in "suggestions forum" on duplicate Styles after copying). The source file is, page-wise and object-wise, much larger than the target - the copy process is not yet finished. Yet the target file size is larger than the source file size.

Also attached, system info.

Thanks for looking into this - cheers!

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 7.03.58 AM.png