You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Xs appear in the corners of selected objects

I'm working on a book file in Affinity Publisher. Sometimes when I select an object and copy it, the object gets little Xs in the corners instead of the little circles and then I can't move the object, or edit its text, or float it or resize it. Basically it is locked and I can't do anything with it. Why does this happen? How do I prevent it? And how do I unlock it? 

Hi,

That's because those objects are placed on the master pages, and usually you modify content but don't move them.

To modify them, go to the layer panel, right click on the layer for this master page, and choose "modify detached" or similar options.

Check your layers panel and see if they are locked.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

54 minutes ago, MarioM said:

But I don't have these objects on the master page.

Yes you do

572122394_ScreenShot2020-05-23at11_31_26AM.png.b62e45bb10ca5b83dcb51234aa889363.png

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Thanks for pointing that out, Old Bruce. What I don't understand is how the table got on the master page. I didn't put it there deliberately. All I did was copy it because I wanted to place a copy of the table on another page. Does this mean the master page is different for different spreads? How does that happen if I only have 1 master page? Also, it doesn't happen for everything I select and copy. Only for some things. I am very confused....

There is a feature called Edit Detached when you right click (Control Click) on a Master Page layer in the layers panel. You may have entered that by mistake, this is what it looks like

2075353727_ScreenShot2020-05-23at11_44_05AM.png.1c698e28f47b358a10121efb951c1f9a.png   123755788_ScreenShot2020-05-23at11_44_21AM.png.8b68a4e38f4f5c821c6b7ac53e3d6720.png

The second screen shot shows that I can now place things on the Master Page layer simply by doing work on the page itself, so if I paste something onto the page it will be on the master page layer for that page only. The orange bar with the finish button will go away as soon as I move to another page and it will not return when I return to that page.