You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So, I’ve been working on an old family photo restore. Removing a ton of white spots on the surface. Doing so I messed up one of the eyes. I spent hours touching up since. Is there a way to undo all the work I did on Just that eye, so I can try again? Is there a tutorial on it?

Thanks,

Jim

Depending on how you initially opened the image APhoto may have made an initial snapshot for you.

Go to the snapshot panel and restore that snapshot to see if it restores the original image. If so, you can copy the eye portion from it into your current image and reprocess it accordingly

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

21 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Depending on how you initially opened the image APhoto may have made an initial snapshot for you.

Go to the snapshot panel and restore that snapshot to see if it restores the original image. If so, you can copy the eye portion from it into your current image and reprocess it accordingly

Wow, I just checked and this works even if I save and close and then reopen the document. Of course you are right back at the beginning but as you point out Jim should be able to copy the eye(s) from the beginning.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

For another alternative, I think it might be possible to use the Undo Brush, select an early point in the History panel where the eye was still good, and brush over the eye to restore it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

For another alternative, I think it might be possible to use the Undo Brush, select an early point in the History panel where the eye was still good, and brush over the eye to restore it.

Would that history part be added as another layer to copy or clone?

55 minutes ago, Styxer08 said:

You could add another pixel layer first, if you wanted to. Then the changes would be applied to it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

50 minutes ago, Styxer08 said:

You can paint with the Undo Brush into any Pixel layer, so add a new empty one to your document before beginning to paint if you wish to work non-destructively. The source for the brush is the document composite as it was at the chosen step in History or a chosen Snapshot.

3 hours ago, anon2 said:

You can paint with the Undo Brush into any Pixel layer, so add a new empty one to your document before beginning to paint if you wish to work non-destructively. The source for the brush is the document composite as it was at the chosen step in History or a chosen Snapshot.

Looking at it. With the spots back on. The gouge look in his eye was there.  Not me messing it up. Thanks for all the help! I don’t usually mess with restorations. Or layers.  Usually colors for my camera shots. Thanks for all the help!

E5DF5258-721B-4F9A-A9BA-EAD87C8E081C.jpeg