You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, 

I have create this brush in Pixel persona using a square brush and adding a texture that I have created using symbols in vector personal. I could not add an SVG as texture so I added an PNG. The problem is that is looks very pix-elated. Looks really bad. I tried to make the texture bigger, smaller, played with zoom but it still looks bad.

Do you have any idea what I should to to make it look batter?

hfgnhjm,hjjhszfhg.JPG

Can you attach that image?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

3 minutes ago, PixelPest said:
5 minutes ago, Oval said:

Which symbol?

The brush icon in the layers panel.

If I do that it makes the bricks really big. If I resize the brush the bricks remain the same size, only the painting area is changing. If I scale it to get the bricks the size I want I get the same result.

Hi,

I believe that the issue is the size of the actual image that you are trying to make the 'pattern'/ brush from. When you open it each area (rectangle is incredibly small). To get this kind of pattern you just need to create a valid tessellation in a rectangle...

Create a rectangle inside a symbol and build a simpler pattern in the rectangle Then use that as the repeat.This is how you can test whether the pattern repeats correctly.

I have never created a brush with an image this size...Most of my pattern brushes are only 200x200px square rectangles. For higher resolution I have created some at 400 x 400px output with a 800x800 px build (300 dpi)...but you could use 400dpi for quality...

The rectangles in the pattern are very small!

Try creating something much simpler...:) 

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

4 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

I don´t get it: Is it a brush (which category: Intensity/round/square/texture?) or a Symbol and why are the edges softened??

It's a square brush with the bricks pattern image used as the brush's base texture, and the base texture scaling has been changed to something other than the default 100%, which results in ugly resampling of the base texture.

11 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

When it´s a square brush size has no influence of the pattern just the amount of painted at the same time - no?

Yes, but there is a scaling slider in the controls for the base texture, that is independent of the brush scaling.

scale.png.1e4d684c0e3d4a6414e6831331dad13b.png

18 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

Create a rectangle inside a symbol and build a simpler pattern in the rectangle Then use that as the repeat.This is how you can test whether the pattern repeats correctly.

This is exactly what I did.

10 minutes ago, anon2 said:

the base texture scaling has been changed to something other than the default 100%

Even if I leave it at the default 100% it still doesn't look good.

Brick_brush_2.gif

OK!
What size is the output image for the png?

Looks to be 100% for Scaling of texture..is that correct....?

1024 px +size of the mesh=very small even at 100%..going to have a play!:)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

10 minutes ago, CodyHill said:

This is exactly what I did.

Even if I leave it at the default 100% it still doesn't look good.

Brick_brush_2.gif

With base texture scaling at 100%, your painted pattern now looks identical to the PNG used as the base texture.

If you want a less obviously pixelated result, you will need to work with a higher dpi document and base texture image for the brush.

2 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

Looks to be 100% for Scaling of texture..is that correct....?

Yes

3 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

1024 px +size of the mesh=very small eve at 100%..going to have a play!:)

I tried to do it with this img witch is the same size 1024 / 1172 px but this is what happens

30 minutes ago, CodyHill said:

If I do that it makes the bricks really big. If I resize the brush the bricks remain the same size, only the painting area is changing. If I scale it to get the bricks the size I want I get the same result.

11 minutes ago, anon2 said:

If you want a less obviously pixelated result, you will need to work with a higher dpi document and base texture image for the brush.

I have tried to use a 2k texture with 400 dpi and it has the same effect.

8 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Can you try this simplified 2k texture set to 800% and tell if this works better?

It still looks bad but what your version did, was to get rid of that weird bleed that I have in mine textures.

simplify texture.JPG