You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am unable to change text on any layers. I have a slogan I would like to change and each letter is on a separate layer, but when I highlight an individual letter I can't seem to change it. As an example, I would like to change an "A" to "M" and can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Welcome to the forums.
I suspect that your letters may have been converted to curves, but I cannot be sure without seeing your document.
Can you either share the document or give us a full-screen screen-grab which shows your Layers Panel with one of your letters selected?

On 5/23/2020 at 1:36 AM, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forums.
I suspect that your letters may have been converted to curves, but I cannot be sure without seeing your document.
Can you either share the document or give us a full-screen screen-grab which shows your Layers Panel with one of your letters selected?

Hi Gary,

I believe you are correct in your assessment of the letters being converted to curves. Is there a way to change this?

Thanks for your assistance.

Glenn

Edited by Leisureworld

7 hours ago, Leisureworld said:

Is there a way to change this?

No, it is not possible to revert text as curves to normal text.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

If you have converted the text to curves then there may not be much you can do about it.
If you have saved the History with the document then you might be able to go back to before the text was converted but, by doing so, you will also lose any edits – to that layer or others – that came after.
The easiest solution may be to simply recreate the text again.

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

If you have converted the text to curves then there may not be much you can do about it.
If you have saved the History with the document then you might be able to go back to before the text was converted but, by doing so, you will also lose any edits – to that layer or others – that came after.
The easiest solution may be to simply recreate the text again.

13 hours ago, Leisureworld said:

Hi Gary,

I believe you are correct in your assessment of the letters being converted to curves. Is there a way to change this?

Thanks for your assistance.

Glenn

Thank you for taking time to explain it to me. I guess I'll try recreating the text.

You’re welcome.
If the individual letters are curves – they will have a (Curve) or (Curves) suffix in the Layers Panel – did you convert them yourself or did the slogan come from someone else?
If you converted them yourself then you might have done it without needing to and we could help you with techniques which will give you better control over what you are doing.
If you got the slogan from someone/somewhere else then we might be able to help you find the font that you can use to recreate it.

I received the artwork from a graphics designer I hired. He must have converted the text to curves at some point. I have a second logo that the same artist created for me and it too has text converted to layers. Both logos have the text on a path which is one of the challenges I have as a newbie.

I'm unfamiliar with curves and why a person would convert to them them. What is the purpose of converting text to curves? Each layer for each letter shows as "curve" in the Layers Panel for many of the instances of text in the design while other text is editable as a paragraph or individual letter by highlighting and changing it. That part I can do, it's text on a path and the world of curves that eludes me. :)

There are lots of reasons why someone might convert text to curves, and they might not even have meant to do so.
One reason is when they want to manipulate the glyphs – letters, etc. – in the text, e.g. change their shapes.
Another reason is that they want to apply some effect or processing to each letter individually, e.g. give each letter a different fill.
Another reason is that they don’t have permission to distribute the font that the text is using, e.g. they are only licensed to use it on their machine.
Another reason is that they have a ‘convert text to curves’ option in their export settings (whether deliberate or not).
And there are many others.
Why they have converted some text and not others is something that only they could explain.