You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I’m not sure which category this post should be in as its a general question.

Is anyone running Photo or Designer on a 2020 Mac mini? I’m thinking of purchasing one, but am worried that it will stutter with a large Photo or designer file - therefore was wondering if anyone here had experience with a Mac mini and the Affinity products.

Thank you all in advance.

High-End Photographic Prints

I don't have one but I imagine that how well it works with large documents will depend greatly on how it is configured. It should do fairly well if it has at least 16 GB of RAM, better if you also opt for the Core i& CPU, & (depending on how much stuff you intend to store on its internal SSD) if you opt for the 1 TB version.

The weak spot will probably be the integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630 -- it should do reasonably well if there is enough installed RAM (since it shares RAM with the CPU) but I doubt it would compare favorably with a more powerful desktop-class dedicated GPU with its own dedicated RAM. Of course, since it supports Thunderbolt 3, you could add a desktop-class eGPU but that can get quite pricy.

So, like just about anything else in the Mac realm, if you are willing to spend enough money you should be able to get something that works very well with the Affinity apps.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I considered the mini and did a price comparison and ability to configure RAM.  I decided, see my signature, the iMac was my best choice, configured for the next five years, I hope.  I also enjoy the 5K, 27” monitor.  The machine works great with AP.  The Beach Ball of death is rarely seen in any operations.  I also was able to purchase RAM significantly lower than Apple’s installed RAM.  To upgrade RAM is five minute task.  That is not possible with the mini.  Many reviews on YouTube for mini.  Cost is always a factor and it hurt a little to go for iMac, but I think in long term, I will benefit from the purchase.  Rumors suggest a new iMac fall 2020 and I guess upgrade to mini.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

10 minutes ago, Cecil said:

I also was able to purchase RAM significantly lower than Apple’s installed RAM.  To upgrade RAM is five minute task.  That is not possible with the mini.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that only the 27" iMacs have user-upgradable RAM. The 21.5" ones do not, nor does the 2017 iMac Pro (not to be confused with the Mac Pro models). I think this is because, like with the Mini, Apple could not fit a powerful enough cooling system into their cases & still have room for the sockets, doors, etc. to make user upgrades easy enough for typical users to do without risking damaging other parts.

51 minutes ago, Cecil said:

Cost is always a factor and it hurt a little to go for iMac, but I think in long term, I will benefit from the purchase.

I think if one figures in the cost of a high resolution 27" external monitor comparable to the ones built into the Retina iMacs, the cost difference for a Mini vs. one of those 27" iMacs makes the iMac the better way to go.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7