You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

8 minutes ago, CodyHill said:

How can I add the fill and stroke color inside the tool bar like in this picture?

View -> customize tools -> Number of columns: 2

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

I would prefer one column with a color chooser too - like in Adobe CC. Two columns is a waste of space.

image.png.2b5a267cbe470890c70b9d86c473e775.png

Edited by Jowday
Replaced color picker with color chooser
  • "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, CodyHill said:

I would that too. I need to get used to the way my tools are positioned rn.

We can move them around, something I keep telling myself to do...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:15 PM, Old Bruce said:

Indeed you can, but this is just easier for the eyes to navigate from and to all the time. And the waste of horisontal screen is minimal. 

image.png.ea5a266efd9a8d325737b4eef8a1dbbc.png

Compared to this:

image.png

If you really need the color chooser there then 3-4 columns and a floating toolbar makes more sense - looks so much better and is easier to decode:

image.png.33db43b9d820f7de35f64d452d952d81.png

Edited by Jowday

My 2 cents...  So far in about 6 years I have had the color circles in my tools, and I never use them.  So, in my opinion, if you want to have your tools in a single column I would have to say you will have lost very little.  If the color well was over there, then maybe I could see a use.  I mainly use AD, maybe with APh it would be handier.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

45 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

My 2 cents...  So far in about 6 years I have had the color circles in my tools, and I never use them.  So, in my opinion, if you want to have your tools in a single column I would have to say you will have lost very little.  If the color well was over there, then maybe I could see a use.  I mainly use AD, maybe with APh it would be handier.

Obviously I have used it more and wider for what... 25 years... In Photoshop et al. When hiding all the annoying studio bars it is an elegant place to have access to it AND to monitor if black or white is selected. Especially when working with masks. It is there for a reason in Photoshop, Illustrator and Affinity.

2 hours ago, Jowday said:

Obviously I have used it more and wider for what... 25 years... In Photoshop et al. When hiding all the annoying studio bars it is an elegant place to have access to it AND to monitor if black or white is selected. Especially when working with masks. It is there for a reason in Photoshop, Illustrator and Affinity.

I've used PS since version 5.  You have your opinion and I have mine.

33 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

I've used PS since version 5.  You have your opinion and I have mine.

- "Take my advice! I am a doctor!"
- "But are you are good doctor??"

It is not about opinions but individual workflows and needs. I used it and monitored it from there for as long as I can remember. It have there in PS/Illustrator but not in Affinity. Find it very useful. You don't use it - aha - not relevant for my request.

Also there is no logic usability-wise to hide it in 1-column mode - hence Adobes smaller model used in many workflows. Always there, handy. Unlike the studio-tab mess.

4 hours ago, Gear maker said:

So, in my opinion, if you want to have your tools in a single column I would have to say you will have lost very little.

I have also worked in Photoshop / Illustrator since CS 4, maybe the Affinity way fit you batter. But for me just makes the progress a bit annoying having to go to color tab every time I need to change the color.

7 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I have moved them around too many times to find a nice balance :) but the 2 column part is the annoying part. Hard to enplane. However this is the version that I use now and it seems ok so far.

wefc.JPG

8 hours ago, Jowday said:

Also there is no logic usability-wise to hide it in 1-column mode - hence Adobes smaller model used in many workflows. Always there, handy. Unlike the studio-tab mess.

The reason is that it is wider than the single width column allows, so it only shows in multiple width columns.

Like CodyHill says for all my color decisions I go to the color panel which is top right of the screen.  So it doesn't make sense to me to go to the middle left of the screen to toggle or empty the color disks when it can be also done in the top right.  Whatever works for you is what you should use.

10 hours ago, Gear maker said:

The reason is that it is wider than the single width column allows, so it only shows in multiple width columns.

Of course. The reason why it is not shown in the single column mode is really because it requires extra code and development because of an initial wrong design decision. Look below. Adobe simply developed a responsive color chooser - problem solved.

10 hours ago, Gear maker said:

Whatever works for you is what you should use.

But I can't use something that is not there and thus my request. You assume it is active all the time on the top right - but I activate several studio tabs all the time and constantly have to reactivate the color studio tab no matter how I arrange them. And I work a lot with the studio panels hidden (control + shift + H) - now not knowing if black or white or whatever is selected, especially annoying when working with layer masks. So we are back to why Adobe made a responsive color chooser in their widely used programs: people need it there for good reasons.

image.png.a767773f32884af572e0369cb7ddd29c.pngimage.png.135a04405dbe0596531a89d0a864f4d5.png

Edited by Jowday

• 8 months later...

Bumping this idea 🙂

8 hours ago, Jowday said:

Bumping this idea 🙂

This topic is in the Questions forum, not the Feature Requests forum. Bumping doesn't do much here, as this isn't where Serif looks for enhancement suggestions.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

This topic is in the Questions forum, not the Feature Requests forum. Bumping doesn't do much here, as this isn't where Serif looks for enhancement suggestions.

Scream 😄

@Patrick Connor pretty please? 🙂

• Staff

Don't @ me I am a QA with no influence on new features. Also don't @ staff 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 year later...