You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I like Affinity Publisher's ligature support for Open type fonts. It is very good.

Is it possible to make it more intelligent in the future to handle fonts which have ligatures in them but shouldn't use them when the font chosen doesn't support them properly for said font?

Linux Biolinum Caps

Linux Libertine Initials

It can be sorted out manually but it would be nice if Publisher remembered fonts which don't perform well using standard settings. Maybe a preferred font features setting for fonts which don't work as expected?

Examples attached.

Nottingham.jpg

Nottingham.afpub Nottingham.pdf

Can you explain that in some other way please?

The reason I ask is because if an OpenType font does not support some particular ligature, then Affinity Publisher should make no attempt to display that ligature.

For example, if a font, say, supports an st ligature, but not a ct ligature, then, if ligatures are switched on,

distinctive

should have an st ligature but no ct ligature.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

Quirky font ligatures.zip

21 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Can you explain that in some other way please?

The reason I ask is because if an OpenType font does not support some particular ligature, then Affinity Publisher should make no attempt to display that ligature.

For example, if a font, say, supports an st ligature, but not a ct ligature, then, if ligatures are switched on,

distinctive

should have an st ligature but no ct ligature.

William

I would if I could. I was thinking of a user editable list of fonts and preferred settings. I will upload two fonts so you can experiment with them. Examine the fonts in the zip file. It seems to be a problem with the tt ligature. It may be a font issue rather than an Affinity issue.

I downloaded the Linux font pack from Source Forge. 

I did not find a Linux Biolinum Caps font

The Linux Libertine Initials font contains small capitals, but no lowercase. I got the desired result by applying small capitals to Linux Biolinum and using Linux Libertine lowercase with Linux Libertine Initials. I use PagePlus X9, but Publisher would do the same. 

Linux Fonts.png

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

30 minutes ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

I downloaded the Linux font pack from Source Forge. 

I did not find a Linux Biolinum Caps font

The Linux Libertine Initials font contains small capitals, but no lowercase. I got the desired result by applying small capitals to Linux Biolinum and using Linux Libertine lowercase with Linux Libertine Initials. I use PagePlus X9, but Publisher would do the same. 

Linux Fonts.png

PagePlus X9 does the correct font rendering of Linux Bioiinium Caps. It doesn't insert a lower case tt ligature. Publisher does. As fo Linux Libertine initials PagePlus messes up the kerning but doesn't insert the ligature. The kerning is good in publisher. I can easily work around the issues in Publisher but it is just a weird behaviour of these fonts in Affinity. Thanks for your input Bhikkhu Pesala.

3 hours ago, Michael S Harvey said:

I can easily work around the issues in Publisher but it is just a weird behaviour of these fonts in Affinity.

In Linux Biolinum Capitals the designer has replaced the lower case letters with the small cap glyphs.
So it looks like small caps but technically it is not.
And the font designer did not fix the t_t ligature when the font was created.

438833646_LinuxBiolinumCapitalsLigatures.png.a5da0c4d82c98cf6655d77b83b0fbe51.png

Since your first line is really just plain lower case characters the ligature is applied.
If you actually apply the Small Caps feature the t glyph is replaced with the t.sc glyph and the ligature no longer applies.

878075746_LinuxBiolinumCapitalsSmallCaps.png.845cc52f58d2537c3383f4e42bafd070.png

In the PDF, on the second line just the initial N and the tt have the Linux Libertine Initials font applied.
The rest of the lowercase characters are all Linux Libertine.
Linux Libertine Initials has no lowercase characters and has no t_t ligature.
So the X appears.

No issue with APub.
Appears to be the fonts and how they are applied.

13 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

In Linux Biolinum Capitals the designer has replaced the lower case letters with the small cap glyphs.
So it looks like small caps but technically it is not.
And the font designer did not fix the t_t ligature when the font was created.

438833646_LinuxBiolinumCapitalsLigatures.png.a5da0c4d82c98cf6655d77b83b0fbe51.png

Since your first line is really just plain lower case characters the ligature is applied.
If you actually apply the Small Caps feature the t glyph is replaced with the t.sc glyph and the ligature no longer applies.

878075746_LinuxBiolinumCapitalsSmallCaps.png.845cc52f58d2537c3383f4e42bafd070.png

In the PDF, on the second line just the initial N and the tt have the Linux Libertine Initials font applied.
The rest of the lowercase characters are all Linux Libertine.
Linux Libertine Initials has no lowercase characters and has no t_t ligature.
So the X appears.

No issue with APub.
Appears to be the fonts and how they are applied.

Thanks for the information. Most helpful.