You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Freeze - is there a solution?

This latest version of Affinity Designer seems to freeze often - either when clicked a file to open from Finder or trying to tab back to Affinity from another program - it won't come to the front.

If you hide everything so you can see Affinity window again it's frozen.

Is there a way / key command to get it back rather than having to force quit... ?

It usually has the file restore ok when you open again - but it's annoying that it does it often and doesn't ever seem to be come back from being unresponsive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi DJ_Jaybee,

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response and I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you're having.

This isn't an issue I've come across before, however it sounds as though your Mac may be limited to the available resources and if you are multi-tasking with multiple apps then you may be reaching this hardware limit.

Can you please confirm for me, what specs does your Mac have?

Does the app ever crash and close on it's own, or do you always force quit the app? (This will determine if a crash log is being generated)

Using Command & Tab to cycle through open applications, does this freeze the software, or can you minimise and maximise the app successfully using this method?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi it only has 8GB Memory which may be the issue - and I do often switch between applications but Affinity is the only one that freezes. The application is unable to tab to although I see it's icon selecting it doesn't bring it to the front/display it.

If I hide any other applications it either displays only the top menu - or sometimes I can see the workspace, but is just unresponsive and never comes back.

Affinity never quits on it's own - I have to force quit. The file that was open is recoverable on relaunch.

If you can see the top menu bar with "Affinity Designer" as the menu item just to the right of the Apple logo & the "File" menu item just to the right of that, what happens if you try to open the File menu & (for example) select "New..."?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7