You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Macro Recording of "Save History With Document"

So, here I am. I have a macro that I'm building up to apply a workflow state to production images.

I recorded:

• creating a soft proof filter
  • assigning the profile for that soft proof filter 
  • Set the document to "Save History With Document"
  • changed the name of the soft proof filter with a name specific to the profile (so I can add different profile proofing for other providers later)
  • turned off the visibility of that soft proof filter by default

It all works as desired. That's the good news. The bad news? The "Save History With Document" step does not appear anywhere in the macro. Not in the edit, not in the number of steps. See the screenshots and the macro itself attached.

Which is the bug? That I can include the menu selection or that the menu selection does not appear at all in the macro? One or the other has to be otherwise macros from outside sources cannot be trusted if all the steps involved are not identifiable.

Whichever is the incorrect behavior, please log the bug.

Thanks!

[Affinity Photo 1.8.3 macOS, Catalina 10.15.4]

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 4.56.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 4.56.50 PM.png

photo_production_prep.afmacro

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

You may also notice that File > Save History with Document does not show up in the History panel. That would indicate (I think) that it is not viewed as a change to the document. And as such, there would be no reason to record it in a macro, just as the macro won't record View > Show Rulers (another action you can take that is not recorded in the doucment's History).

Both the macro recording and the History capture only those actions that change the visible portion of the document content.

(On the other hand, the document is changed, in a way, by File > Save History with Document. The setting itself is remembered, and the History is remembered. But those are not part of the visible document content that would be printed, for example.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Again, the behavior *is* recorded in the macro. When I play the macro, "Save History With Document" is enabled. If that's correct (and I hope it is because it mitigates an outstanding feature request regarding being able to always have "Save History" on if the user chooses so) , it should be listed as a step.

If the behavior should NOT be recorded in the macro, well, it is.

What I believe correct behavior should  be is to have each behavior incorporated in a macro listed in the macro.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

2 hours ago, Brad Brighton said:

Again, the behavior *is* recorded in the macro. When I play the macro, "Save History With Document" is enabled. If that's correct (and I hope it is because it mitigates an outstanding feature request regarding being able to always have "Save History" on if the user chooses so) , it should be listed as a step.

Thanks. I misunderstood what you were saying.

I agree that if playing the macro sets that option, it should show as a recorded step.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area ("Save history with document" fails to show in Macro Steps) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you,

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Patrick Connor Confirmed that I can now see this item in the macro editor - thank you! macOS 1.8.4 

I assume the duplication displayed is legit and because I couldn't tell what was going on during the original macro recording.

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 10.01.04 AM.png