You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to remove the painting from the frame and to keep only the white of the borders everywhere within the frame?

Hi,

I have 1 painting (including its white borders) in a black frame and a black passe-partout scanned in jpeg (See first picture). Note: I have also a 1 painting (including its white borders) in a black frame and a black passe-partout scanned in jpeg too.

My objective is to use another paintings scanned in jpeg and to put it on top of the painting with a frame so that it would look like a new painting being framed.

I was able to do it thanks to the advice of a member of the forum. But I have noticed a problem. Indeed, as you can see from the second picture, I noticed that sometimes that I have not well put the second image of the painting on top of the first and it is not nice.

To avoid this problem, I would like that the inside of the painting with a frame (picture 1) becomes totally white instead (using the same white colour than the border). So, then, I would just need to add my new painting where ever I want inside the frame without having the risk to end of up problem visible in picture 2.

Can you help me to explain how to get the inside of the frame all white?

Thanks,

Greg.

Black_frame-4MB.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 20.57.51.png

First, ensure that your layer is a (Pixel) layer. If not use  Layer > Rasterize.

Click on the flood fill tool (around a third of the way down the toolbar on the left). Look at the context toolbar (above your image and the image name tab) and set the tolerance low, around 5. Now click on the white frame. All this white will now be surrounded by 'marching ants'. Now click on Delete. You can now get rid of the marching ants by clicking Ctrl/Cmnd-D.

Now make a square selection around your image and press Delete.

To get your white background, use Layer > New Fill Layer. By default this layer will be white, but placed at the top of the layer stack. Click on this fill layer and drag it down below your background layer.

You can now add your new picture. You may wish to flatten your document (Document  > Flatten) first though.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. FYI, thanks to Affinity revolution 101 training, I learned to replace the painting by a white background using the same white than on the edges. Once exported, I am now able to add the painting (after first removing the white edges) and with a very little distortion when really needed, I could have the painting well showed horizontally and vertically.

Issue resolved :)

Regards,

Greg.

Note: I will still try your proposal to learn about it :)