You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

20% of TIFF exports unreadable, 10% damaged

In my first Affinity Photo project I exported all the first 32 finished files to 16-bit TIFF directly to an external hard drive using the Export option in the menu. When I checked the files on a computer 7 of them were unreadable and another 3 had two or three thin black horizontal lines across the images. I re-exported all the images whose exports were not readable and they were then readable. Re-exporting two of the images whose exports had had lines in them produced files without the black horizontal lines. The third file had to be re-exported five times before I finally got a TIFF file without additional thin black lines across it. 

That is a 30% failure rate on first export, which is troubling, to say the least. Is this a known issue? I am running Affinity on a 2020 iPad Pro 12.9” with 512GB of storage.

Update: This is probably related to the spinning hard drive I am using as an external drive (Seagate Momentus 2TB in an Icy Box USB-3 enclosure). The iPad appears to corrupt files written to this drive often. It’s not clear yet whether it’s just this drive and/or the controller in its enclosure or a general problem. I have to test with some other external drives first.