You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I know how to fix Right-to-Left writing, but I don't have the knowledge 😔

hey all,

so we all know Serif won't be putting out a solution for the right-to-left (RTL) writing problem (Affinity Designer doesn't support it and writes it backwards).

HOWEVER... I do know what must be done to create the almost perfect solution.

Basically we need to create a mini-app or an automation where every time you click a letter when typing - another 2nd button will automatically be clicked (the left arrow button).

you can even try this manually in the app.... try writing say in Hebrew or other RTL language.... and just click left button after every letter.... it works!

So... does anyone know how we can go about creating such mini-app?

EXCELLENT NEWS everybody!
So as the CEO of ArtWayz (Artwayz.com) - I decided to gather my team and develop an app that could be enabled with a combination of keys (Shift+Cmd+Space) and you'll be able to write Right-to-Left on the spot!

No more copying, flipping and pasting.... just a fast intuitive way of naturally writing RTL.

If anyone is interested in a special deal once it's out with a chance to be part of the beta-testing (which will guarantee a free access once released)....
Just send me an email so I'll add you to the mailing list:
info@artwayz.com

2 minutes ago, amirgelman said:

EXCELLENT NEWS everybody!
So as the CEO of ArtWayz (Artwayz.com) - I decided to gather my team and develop an app that could be enabled with a combination of keys (Shift+Cmd+Space) and you'll be able to write Right-to-Left on the spot!

No more copying, flipping and pasting.... just a fast intuitive way of naturally writing RTL.

If anyone is interested in a special deal once it's out with a chance to be part of the beta-testing (which will guarantee a free access once released)....
Just send me an email so I'll add you to the mailing list:
info@artwayz.com

This is wonderful news! I'm sure that your mini-app would be great for rtl users. I'm just curious how long your thing will take you to get this done (at least to finish the Beta version).

6 hours ago, weby said:

This is wonderful news! I'm sure that your mini-app would be great for rtl users. I'm just curious how long your thing will take you to get this done (at least to finish the Beta version).

actually the app is 90% ready to go... I'm already using it as part of my workflow.

only thing we are working on right now is copy\pasting text as that is also a huge deal.

I'm actually very confident to say the app should be done by the end of this month, maybe two weeks max.

again, if anyone's interested just send me an email asking for it.... you'll be notified once app is done.

Please work also on a solution to get the "First Line Indent" on the right side. It's very important, especially in Publisher!

Thanks a million for your project! (But i still hope they will change their mind and add rtl support in the next update💤)

1225623863_solutiontogettheFirstLineIndentontherightside.jpg.d9396f37c4bdcfead1509fd245b692cf.jpg

AMAZING NEWS to all of you want full right-to-left support for all Affinity software!

Finally the right-to-left support you all requested for Affinity software.

No copy\pasting to an external website or anything like that - I'm talking about an app with simple keyboard shortcut to activate while typing and all works.

Pasting RTL text will work too!

If you wanna get notified when it's out - leave your details in the link below!

https://bit.ly/RTL-Fix

24 minutes ago, ashf said:

Interesting.
I don't speak/write RTL languages by myself but that's good news since I know many people are wanting RTL capability on Affinity.

I appreciate that.

If you know some people who’ll want this app would be awesome if you could redirect them to the landing page to leave their details.

They’ll be notified once it’s out.

https://bit.ly/RTL-Fix

On 5/26/2020 at 2:07 PM, weby said:

Please work also on a solution to get the "First Line Indent" on the right side. It's very important, especially in Publisher!

Thanks a million for your project! (But i still hope they will change their mind and add rtl support in the next update💤)

1225623863_solutiontogettheFirstLineIndentontherightside.jpg.d9396f37c4bdcfead1509fd245b692cf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 4:36 AM, amirgelman said:

actually the app is 90% ready to go... I'm already using it as part of my workflow.

only thing we are working on right now is copy\pasting text as that is also a huge deal.

I'm actually very confident to say the app should be done by the end of this month, maybe two weeks max.

again, if anyone's interested just send me an email asking for it.... you'll be notified once app is done.

Well simple things can be made in 10 minutes here, with some programming languages which already do support this. For example when I use the Java prog language I can setup any JTextArea or JTextPane (aka text input panels) to flow right to left in orientation. I can also set the scrollbar to other side with just one call if desired. Further when setup to a localisation which writes characters right to left (like arabic or hebrew), it would then automatically adjust the text and thus character flow into the right direction.

Also in Java all GUI text components do initially support and inherit the copy/paste ability to/from the system clipboard, so that's a no brainer then. Another advantage is, that Java is portable usable among operating systems, so to say write once and run on Win/Mac.

In order to give you an idea here is a quck made test, look at the caret (the little cursor triangle icon) which would show the usual text flow direction. But since I don't know arabic or hebrew and my systems locale is latin UTF-8 Java recognizes that I don't use a hebrew or arabic local here (it's clever enough to determine this). Therefor I just show here, how bi-directional writing would look like via arabic letter pasting etc.

Setting text up in a panel to flow from right to left side here, with another setup locale which writes characters reversed (right-to left) the typed in words/chars would then be reversed here  ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 1 month later...

I started this post saying I don't have the knowledge, so I took upon myself to bring a team together and we built RTL Fixer!

I’m happy to announce the release of our Right-to-Left writing solution for Affinity Designer, Photo and Publisher. The app could help fix RTL writing in other software which has a similar issue as Affinity’s apps do.

Get RTL Fixer now while it’s on sale:

https://www.artwayz.com/en/buy-rtl-fixer

Watch our app in action:

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Ilan said:

Hi, @amirgelman!
Thank you for your software! Definitely worth to try!
In the video you say that it should work in other software for RTL.
Did you test it with some other soft?

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback.

I personally did not try it with another software as I don't know another one with the same issue like Affinity has with Right-to-Left Languages.

However, in theory (and assuming that other particular software has indeed the same problem like Affinity) - there's really no reason why this should not work.

Reason being - the app basically changes your keyboard input. It isn't dependant on Affinity or another software to do what it does, just a keyboard and a person typing in Hebrew\Arabic on it.

Does this make sense? Let me know.

8 minutes ago, Ilan said:

@amirgelman

I purchased and registered your software, but it doesn't work with Affinity designer yet.

Do you have a support?

Thank you!2112172465_ScreenShot2020-07-29at7_50_17.thumb.png.2101e2430acb439387147e97a809de4f.png

Hey,

First of all - thank you for supporting us by buying RTL Fixer.

I’m pretty sure the issue you’re experiencing is due to not giving all the permissions to MacOS.

Please visit our installation guide and check out what needs to be done on MacOS.

https://www.artwayz.com/en/rtl-fixer-installation/

And of course we have support.

If your issue persists don’t hesitate to contact our support team: support@artwayz.com

Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with.

• 5 months later...
On 7/29/2020 at 8:04 AM, amirgelman said:

Hey,

First of all - thank you for supporting us by buying RTL Fixer.

I’m pretty sure the issue you’re experiencing is due to not giving all the permissions to MacOS.

Please visit our installation guide and check out what needs to be done on MacOS.

https://www.artwayz.com/en/rtl-fixer-installation/

And of course we have support.

If your issue persists don’t hesitate to contact our support team: support@artwayz.com

Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with.

Hi, first i want to thank u for your effort.

i found this post through google and when i read the first few posts i got excited but the problem is that your price is higher than what i payed for affinity in first place, i'm just student and i practice designing in my free time.

if u would be kind enough to give it for free or at least with small fee it would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your effort

• 1 month later...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2