You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to draw along grids in Designer's Pixel Persona through snapping?

I have an Affinity Designer document on which I have set up a 1-inch grid. I wish to use the Pixel Persona and a Paint Brush Tool brush to draw lines that snap to the grid. That is, when I place my cursor near the grid and draw, the lines on the Pixel layer should follow right angles on the grid only. 

Is it possible to turn this behavior on—perhaps with a snapping setting of some sort? I've tried checking all settings contained within the "Enable Snapping" drop-down, but it doesn't happen. 

None of the help pages or Serif tutorial videos I've seen seem to include or mention this behavior, so I want to know for certain if it is possible.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright. If I understand @Pšenda correctly, it sounds like it is not possible to have the Paint Brush Tool in Pixel Persona automatically snap to the visible grid (View > Show Grid) when drawing. It is only possible to create vertical and horizontal lines, by holding shift and drawing, and this will not follow the visible grid.

Is this right?

Many thanks.

I think you are correct that the Pixel Tool cannot be snapped to the grid. The Pixel Tool (along with the Paint Brush Tool) is for ‘free-form’ drawing and painting rather than geometric illustration.
Just out of curiosity, why are you wanting to do this? You can probably achieve what you want via the Pen Tool (in the Designer Persona) instead.

I wanted to simulate the imperfections of a sort of hand-drawn graph paper, similar to the attached 1-inch grid. I ended up creating that blue grid in another program.

My ultimate goal is to use Affinity Designer to quickly illustrate Dungeons & Dragons-style maps (see the attached map example from Dyson Logos), but I also wanted to use as few programs as possible to learn the full extent of Designer's capabilities. I expect to post a lot about how to use Designer's features to replicate that style.

Thank you very much, @GarryP.

Edit: didn't know those example images would come in at full size. Sorry.

1-inch-grid.jpg

ERZMc4fW4AAOSu7.jpg

Edited by ForeverAflame

You can get a quite decent ‘hand-drawn’ look by using a brush on a vector line.
See attached image and document. Have a look at how I have used the different line lengths to simulate the pen line being drawn differently.
Not perfect by any means, but quick.
P.S. The ‘Minor’ group of objects in my attached example shows one way to create dashed lines in a similar way but it’s very messy and I wouldn’t advise using the same method, but it might be useful to know about.

Annotation 2020-06-06 124455.png

hand-drawn grid test.afdesign