You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello... fairly new to Affinity. I like it a lot.

I checked the tutorials, and I could not figure out how to do this. I figured there are probably different methods, so I wanted some general help.

I tried to upload the jpg, and it gave me a -200 error. So I uploaded the afphoto document instead. In this photograph of a red-winged starling in Cape Town, South Africa, there is a leaf from a palm tree in front of the bird. What can you recommend as the best way to remove this leaf, and fill in the area with the blackish color of the bird.

You are welcome to download the document and tinker with it, and send it back to me. I look forward to your response.

2019_10a_Cape_Town-005.afphoto

On top of the suggestions above, painting a crude dark line across the top of the bird, where the plant overlapped, and then a few quick strokes of the Inpainting Brush gave me this. I’m sure a much better result will be obtainable with more care and work, this was just done very quickly to show an extra possibility.

Annotation 2020-05-21 083307.png

Bugger, just spent 10 minutes working on this then that stupid bird flew off before I could finish it. Totally wasted my coffee break.

bird.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I want to thank all of you for responding. The history in the returned afphoto documents is a bit overwhelming. Let me respond to each of them. I am a newbie, and I have not used most of the tools in which you are quite proficient. I would like to discuss them with you.

foto-graphic

1. It appears that you created a "path," which appears to be a bounded selection from the photo. This includes the leaf, and then a some area around the leaf. It also appears that you created it twice, and then left the first one in the history.
  2. Then you used the Clone Brush Tool to copy from another area of the photo. I believe you created the path so that you did not accidentally brush into the leaf area above the bird. Can you confirm this please?
  3. I do not know what "Spare Channel (From/To) pixel selection does. Can you help me?
  4. Transform I do not know, and then one more Clone Brush Tool.
  5. After Inverting Selection, so that you can work with the leaf and not affect the bird, you clone some more green so that the leave disappears.
  6. From there I am lost, as you create more "curves," and then remove portions of the leaf. Any explanation is helpful.

GarryP

1. Can you help me out with what "painting a crude dark line across the top of the bird" means, and how it is done.
  2. Did you then use the Inpainting Brush Tool both above AND below this crude dark line?

Wosven

1. You by far spent the most time on this image, as the history is VERY long and specific. Out of curiosity, about how long did it take for you to make these modifications? It would have taken me much more than an hour.
  2. From your history,  it appears that you start at a point where the leaf has already been removed. But somewhere in the process, you have obviously saved the bottom of the leaf, because it appears again at the end.
  3. I start at the beginning of your history, and apply several pages of mods that appear to do nothing to the document. Am I missing something?
  4. Then I am lost in your history, even though it looks like you have just started.
  5. I now see that you did a lot of your work in layers and masks. I have steered clear of layers. I do not understand how to use these. Thank you for doing the work.

carl123

1. LOL
  2. Do you mind sending me the afphoto document so that I can review how you made the bird fly away?

@Bill S Re Wosvens commendable work, when a document is saved it can also save it’s history, the history is saved "warts and all” so some of that history might be trial and error as well as the successful process.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Yet another method would be to find an image of the bird in a similar position but without the leaf and layer a sample of the clear section. The curves adjustment was to correct the feather colouring which was a bit blacker. this is a pretty simple method but an effective one if done carefully and the right sample is found. It’s always a good idea to take reference images for such issues as this so you have a sample database of sorts.

906874865_ScreenShot2020-05-22at08_30_54.png.4d73db520804f2d28f8d79507e582331.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 hours ago, Bill S said:
  • You by far spent the most time on this image, as the history is VERY long and specific. Out of curiosity, about how long did it take for you to make these modifications? It would have taken me much more than an hour.
  • From your history,  it appears that you start at a point where the leaf has already been removed. But somewhere in the process, you have obviously saved the bottom of the leaf, because it appears again at the end.
  • I start at the beginning of your history, and apply several pages of mods that appear to do nothing to the document. Am I missing something?
  • Then I am lost in your history, even though it looks like you have just started.
  • I now see that you did a lot of your work in layers and masks. I have steered clear of layers. I do not understand how to use these. Thank you for doing the work.

Hi,

• Yes I spend time on it, since it begins being a "morning coffee + reading forum + answering few questions" until I found the challenge of those feathers so interesting thatI tried to do my best! Working on other ones files is always an intersting exercise.
I certainly spend more time uploading the file, it seems it would never end: I can't remember when I activated the "save history" option, but I know now — thanks — why the file is so huge!

Since I didn't do a second version of the file, I uploaded the file at 8h19 and last saved it at 9h46, so 1 hour 20 to do this.

At some point doing the "leaf up" version, I wanted to retrieve the green leaf part already done in a sub-layer, but I noticed I painted in black in the image instead of the mask of this layer. That's perhaps why at some point the history is confused.

When I needed the leaf, I went back to your original layer to do a selection of it, before modifying it with the Transform tool. But since I wasn't happy with the  resulting curve of the leaf, I suppose I went back in the history to copy this selected but untouched leaf (I usually keep masks of the selections I do in this eventuality, but I didn't this time…), and past it above the modified one, before adding a mask for displaying the nice curve on the left of the leaf.

• At the begining, I zoom in on the feathers, select interesting part to copy-paste them on individual layers and move them where I want them. After this, I add masks on them to hide some parts so they blend better with the original, and I add empty layer to use the  Clone Tool or the Inpainting Brush.

I did this in this order to keep a file you can understand, with layers as steps, but usually I merge those layers together at some point.

Layers are important, you can mess one of them, it won't affect the others and you can delete it and get another try.

Using mask on those layers, instead of erasing is important too: if later in your work you need a part that is masked, you just need to use a white brush on this mask, and it'll appear. It's not desctructive. And you can do larger and faster selections of part you want to dupplicate. In the same way, you'll notice that you paint in black on the mask faster, since on a blink you can paint in white to correct some errors or use "undo" (I usually assign a shortcut (D) to get white and black in the foreground/background colours*, and use the shortcut X to switch foreground/background colours).

Once you're used to mask, you'll notice that the adjustement layers work the same: you can for example use a Recolour adjustement, and paint in black on the mask so it won't recolour everything.

* Preferences > Shortcuts > Miscallenous > Fill black and white